HMC 2.9.2 (controlling z9BC) resetting passwords to a known state.
John McKown
2013-05-28 16:20:31 UTC
I know the passwords for everything except for ACSADMIN. I do remember
the main sysprog at the time (many years past) changed it. But I
cannot find any documentation on what he changed it to. Is there a way
to reset the password to the default? If so, how? I can sign on to
anything else, including SYSPROG and SERVICE.
--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Doug

John McKown
2013-05-28 16:45:08 UTC
I've tried that. The manual that I could find simply tells the default
passwords. I didn't find a way to "reset to default" anywhere. But,
then, I could well be simply not seeing it.

George Mitjans
2013-05-28 16:59:13 UTC
Default user IDs and passwords are established as part of a base Hardware
Management Console. The Access Administrator should assign new user IDs
and
passwords as soon as the Hardware Management Console is installed for
each user by using the User Profiles task from the Console Actions Work
Area.
The default user roles, user IDs, and passwords are:
Operator OPERATOR PASSWORD
Advanced Operator ADVANCED PASSWORD
System Programmer SYSPROG PASSWORD
Access Administrator ACSADMIN PASSWORD
Service Representative SERVICE SERVMODE
Notes:
1. It is recommended that you change or remove the default passwords as
soon
as you can.
2. Letter case (uppercase, lowercase, mixed) is not significant for the
user ID or
the password.
To log on, enter one of the default user ID and password combinations, or
the user
ID and password combination assigned to you by your Access Administrator.
Then
click Logon.
After you log on, the Hardware Management Console Workplace window is
displayed.

Ted MacNEIL
2013-05-28 17:21:02 UTC
How does this help discovering an already changed, yet forgotten, password?
-
Ted MacNEIL
***@yahoo.ca
Twitter: @TedMacNEIL

retired mainframer
2013-05-28 18:13:14 UTC
Analogous to the recommendation to never use the IBMUSER RACF profile, did
you ever create new users/accounts on the HMC? If so, are any of them of
the ACSADMIN type? An account of this type can reset a different account's
password.

Alternately, did you create the recommended backup of the HMC configuration
immediately after installation? If so, it might be possible to restore the
ACSADMIN account from that.

Have you asked IBM if they have a "death in the family" recovery procedure?

John McKown
2013-05-28 18:35:55 UTC
We did not create a separate "administrator" type login. I don't know
if anybody did a backup or not. Which makes it moot since it would
likely have been on a 3.5 inch floppy which is long lost. Surely IBM
put in an NSA-type back door. (No, and don't call me Shirley!).

Paul Gilmartin
2013-05-28 18:34:13 UTC
Post by retired mainframer
Have you asked IBM if they have a "death in the family" recovery procedure?
But if they told you, wouldn't they have to kill you?

-- gil

R.S.
2013-05-28 19:08:10 UTC
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Post by retired mainframer
Have you asked IBM if they have a "death in the family" recovery procedure?
But if they told you, wouldn't they have to kill you?
No, this isn't secret, no reason to kill anyone.

CE access to HMC does not end at SERVICE. There is also special user
(PEMODE?) with temporary password generated by support center.
The password is generated using CPC s/n, date&time & special (secret)
algorithm, so even CE does not know it except he got authorisation from
the center.
What the user can do? I don't know details, but many things, including
access to the Linux system under HMC/SE application.

BTW: PEMODE is a name of undocumented, but not hidden user of HMC. This
user can perform model conversion - so this is the guy who sets your
15-CP worth machine at the smallest level 401.
IMHO such a guy could also reset your password.

Caution (actually irrelevant): I don't know the user name used by CE in
the field (at cust. location). It may be PEMODE or maybe another userid
else.

BTW: A recipe for the OP case:
1. Ask your IBM CE. Safe, but maybe paid option.
2. A little bit risky: use your DVD plates delivered with the CPC. Using
those DVDs you can set up (recover) HMC from scratch. Obviously you'll
lose all your customizations and you'll have to apply all the microcode
issued between your DVD was recorded (not exactly) and today. You could
also order SUL DVD (cumulated set of microcode updates), but AFAIK it's
now sold only as a service, "with the man who install it", so in fact
it's option 1.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
Treść tej wiadomości może zawierać informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wyłącznie do użytku służbowego adresata. Odbiorcą może być jedynie jej adresat z wyłączeniem dostępu osób trzecich. Jeżeli nie jesteś adresatem niniejszej wiadomości lub pracownikiem upoważnionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, że jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne działanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i może być karalne. Jeżeli otrzymałeś tę wiadomość omyłkowo, prosimy niezwłocznie zawiadomić nadawcę wysyłając odpowiedź oraz trwale usunąć tę wiadomość włączając w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorised to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

BRE Bank SA, 00-950 Warszawa, ul. Senatorska 18, tel. +48 (22) 829 00 00, fax +48 (22) 829 00 33, www.brebank.pl, e-mail: ***@brebank.pl
Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88.
Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2013 r. kapitał zakładowy BRE Banku SA (w całości wpłacony) wynosi 168.555.904 złotych.

Paul Gilmartin
2013-05-29 15:31:31 UTC
Post by R.S.
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Post by retired mainframer
Have you asked IBM if they have a "death in the family" recovery procedure?
But if they told you, wouldn't they have to kill you?
No, this isn't secret, no reason to kill anyone.
I was merely playing on the word "death". "Recovery"? well,
there's cryonics.

-- gil