The WHY of the POR
Nightwatch RenBand
2019-01-16 22:18:37 UTC
I hate to admit this, but after all these years, I have to admit that I am
hazy about exactly when a POR is required. I have gotten along for years,
but now I am faced to explaining it to management and I realize that I
cannot make clear what is not clear to me. I have a simple two lpar z9
running zOS 1.13. I have searched online, send me to the manual if you
have a good ref. Thanks

Edward Finnell
2019-01-16 22:46:02 UTC
Murphy, squirrels, DR, hardware upgrades, terrorists, weather events-pretty much Risk assessment for your environment and your locale.

Gibney, Dave
2019-01-16 23:14:18 UTC
Required is rare. Our last was for OSA related MCL. Before that, it was a scheduled power outage to upgrade the UPS.
Otherwise, what Ed says. Each instance can be different. For us, it was also the only way to set the hardware clock.
Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOP NM
2019-01-17 08:24:38 UTC
Sometimes it helps solve unexplainably unsolvable problems. We had this with an unwilling PCHID.

Kees,
Murphy, squirrels, DR, hardware upgrades, terrorists, weather events-
pretty
much Risk assessment for your environment and your locale.
In a message dated 1/16/2019 4:18:42 PM Central Standard Time,
I have a simple two lpar z9running zOS 1.13.  I have searched online,
send me
to the manual if youhave a good ref. Thanks
email to
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

R.S.
2019-01-17 14:00:43 UTC
Personally I can't remember when I *had* to perform POR.
Yes, sometimes OSA or Crypto card need to be offlined/onlined which also
can be done vie POR, but this is not a requirement, since can be done
without it (even without IPL).
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Jeśli nie jesteś adresatem tej wiadomości:

- powiadom nas o tym w mailu zwrotnym (dziękujemy!),
- usuń trwale tę wiadomość (i wszystkie kopie, które wydrukowałeś lub zapisałeś na dysku).
Wiadomość ta może zawierać chronione prawem informacje, które może wykorzystać tylko adresat.Przypominamy, że każdy, kto rozpowszechnia (kopiuje, rozprowadza) tę wiadomość lub podejmuje podobne działania, narusza prawo i może podlegać karze.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa,www.mBank.pl, e-mail: ***@mBank.pl. Sąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Kapitał zakładowy (opłacony w całości) według stanu na 01.01.2018 r. wynosi 169.248.488 złotych.

If you are not the addressee of this message:

- let us know by replying to this e-mail (thank you!),
This message may contain legally protected information, which may be used exclusively by the addressee.Please be reminded that anyone who disseminates (copies, distributes) this message or takes any similar action, violates the law and may be penalised.

mBank S.A. with its registered office in Warsaw, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa,www.mBank.pl, e-mail: ***@mBank.pl. District Court for the Capital City of Warsaw, 12th Commercial Division of the National Court Register, KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Fully paid-up share capital amounting to PLN 169,248,488 as at 1 January 2018.

John McKown
2019-01-17 14:06:05 UTC
Post by R.S.
Personally I can't remember when I *had* to perform POR.
Yes, sometimes OSA or Crypto card need to be offlined/onlined which also
can be done vie POR, but this is not a requirement, since can be done
without it (even without IPL).
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland
We don't have any sort of external times. So our TOD clock drifts around.
If it gets too far away, we look at doing a POR so that we can set it.
--
People who frustrate us will be around for as long as we need them.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Tom Conley
2019-01-17 14:19:57 UTC
There is no WHY. There is only....POR.

Nims,Alva John , Al
2019-01-17 14:32:11 UTC
For I/O Configuration changes that might require a POR, check the "HCD User's Guide" and/or "HCD Planning" and it may take generating an IODF for it to tell you that a POR is needed.

As a person who has worked on machines from the 360/40 to a z114 (current), the reasons for a REQUIRED POR are becoming fewer and fewer.

POR's could be categorized into; required (some I/O configuration changes) and un-intentional (in my shop's incident, mislabeled power cables when shifting to a new PDU).

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer III
UF Information Technology
720 Bld. 3rd Floor, #9
P.O. Box 112050
Gainesville, FL. 32611
(e) ***@ufl.edu
(p) (352) 273-1298

Tom Brennan
2019-01-17 16:07:46 UTC
Last year I was watching the install of a new z14-ZR1 and the CE
couldn't get the ICC consoles to work until he did a POR *after* the
IP/LU settings were in place. I thought this was rather odd. Most
likely there were dynamic ways around the problem, but when there's
nothing running on a machine yet, the easiest is to try a POR.
R.S.
2019-01-18 19:03:50 UTC
Post by Tom Brennan
Last year I was watching the install of a new z14-ZR1 and the CE
couldn't get the ICC consoles to work until he did a POR *after* the
IP/LU settings were in place.  I thought this was rather odd. Most
likely there were dynamic ways around the problem, but when there's
nothing running on a machine yet, the easiest is to try a POR.
Unfortunately it is not unusual. However it is usually one of very first
customizations, before any OS is installed or IPLed.
Note, chpid offline/online does not help.

I'm not sure about dynamic add-on new card. I did it in the past (added
ICC), however I would bet I didn't perform the POR then.

Jesse 1 Robinson
2019-01-17 21:38:04 UTC
I don't recall seeing OP's motivation for asking this question. I'm guessing it's to satisfy someone's hypothetical musing. As others have said, most of the once-conventional reasons are gone. Installation or upgrade or repair is likely to require at least one POR, but the odds of needing to interrupt production on a random weekend are now very low.

-- An OSA needs to be loaded with updated microcode. Either offline/online bounce or POR. Our console OSAs are well defined with symmetrical redundancy. It takes a while to work through the procedure, but it's very doable. The non-console OSAs are a menagerie of who knows what. It's easier to POR to catch them all at once.

-- If you have two of them, cryptos can be managed like console OSAs. Offline/online, rinse, repeat.

-- Error conditions. These are rare and impossible classify. A while back we had an MCL upgrade go south. Primary and alternate SEs got out of sync. Support Center said we had to POR to resync. Ouch. Then the same thing happened again! So we PORed again. Eventually got thru it. You get to explain these cases to the boss one by one.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
Electric Dragon Team Paddler
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
323-715-0595 Mobile
626-543-6132 Office ⇐=== NEW
***@sce.com

2019-01-17 22:40:26 UTC
I should have mentioned that I "think" the sequence was this:

1) POR (which like you say, must have loaded microcode into the OSA's)
2) Manually enter OSA IP addresses and LU's for ICC into the HMC
3) Test those IP addresses - no connection, no response
4) POR again
5) Hey, ICC works now

Now it turns out there were remote network admins who were claiming the
problem is not in their network, while still looking at the errors of
step 3. So who knows, they may have done something to enable ports or
whatever and not told us. Lots of cooks in the kitchen at that point.

If the problem would have continued, I planned a test that I've never
tried before on an OSA card: What would happen if I switched the IP
address of my laptop to the same range as the OSA IP setting, and
plugged my laptop directly into the copper OSA port? Then depending on
the result of a TN3270 connection test I could point a finger at either
the network or the OSA card.
Nims,Alva John , Al
2019-01-18 15:17:34 UTC
From his original message dated January 16th: "... I have gotten along for years, but now I am faced to explaining it to management ..."

I, for one, am quite happy to allow that reason for asking the question.