Control block values that exempt 522 Timeouts
Lindy Mayfield
2019-09-17 13:09:03 UTC

I understand that address spaces can be made exempt from 522 timeouts if there is a particular value in one of three control blocks. If I have it correct they are:

1) The JSTL is 86400 seconds (Comes from TIME=1440 on Job card?)
2) The ASCBTOFF bit in the ASCBRCTF is set
3) The SWTL contains the magic number x'0D286880'

What can I learn from one or more of those values being set? For example, which z/OS or application components update those control blocks or cause them to be updated?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Kind regards,
Lindy

P.S. I think I asked some years ago where they magic number x'0D286880' comes from. I forgot. I think it was historical, and maybe counted in timerons or something similar.

Mike Schwab
2019-09-17 15:35:23 UTC
Well, if that represents 24 hours then 2555 is 1 second.
Post by Lindy Mayfield
Hi,
1) The JSTL is 86400 seconds (Comes from TIME=1440 on Job card?)
2) The ASCBTOFF bit in the ASCBRCTF is set
3) The SWTL contains the magic number x'0D286880'
What can I learn from one or more of those values being set? For example, which z/OS or application components update those control blocks or cause them to be updated?
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Kind regards,
Lindy
P.S. I think I asked some years ago where they magic number x'0D286880' comes from. I forgot. I think it was historical, and maybe counted in timerons or something similar.
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

Lindy Mayfield
2019-09-26 14:53:42 UTC
It could have been hardware related based on clock speed on early machines.

Perhaps it's more appropriate ask this on the RACF group.

/Lindy

Steve Beaver
2019-09-26 15:04:48 UTC
Talk to your MVS people

Lindy Mayfield
2019-09-26 15:08:04 UTC
Not funny. ☹

Seymour J Metz
2019-09-26 15:35:30 UTC
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

It could have been hardware related based on clock speed on early machines.

Perhaps it's more appropriate ask this on the RACF group.

/Lindy

Well, if that represents 24 hours then 2555 is 1 second.
Post by Lindy Mayfield
Hi,
1) The JSTL is 86400 seconds (Comes from TIME=1440 on Job card?)
2) The ASCBTOFF bit in the ASCBRCTF is set
3) The SWTL contains the magic number x'0D286880'
What can I learn from one or more of those values being set? For example, which z/OS or application components update those control blocks or cause them to be updated?
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Kind regards,
Lindy
P.S. I think I asked some years ago where they magic number x'0D286880' comes from. I forgot. I think it was historical, and maybe counted in timerons or something similar.
1440 has nothing to do with clock speed. 1440 = 60 * 24.

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

Seymour J Metz
2019-09-26 20:44:54 UTC
Somehow I deleted the text of my reply. The significance of 1440 has nothing to do with the clock cycle; it's the number of minutes in a day.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

Massimo Biancucci
2019-09-26 15:05:20 UTC

I think you gave the main answer ....

TIME=1440 (or NOLIMIT) on JCL.

AFAIK, there're monitor product (like BMC SYSPROG Services for instance)
that can update the value on the fly.

Regards.
Max

Hi,
Lindy Mayfield
2019-09-26 15:12:43 UTC
I found the old post! I think it has most what I need. I didn't find it before, but now I did, I should have looked harder, mea culpa. 😊

/lindy