Anyone using MVS and TSO with Hercules?
Rupert Reynolds
2004-11-05 21:50:35 UTC
I just got logged-in to TSO under MVS 3.8 on a PC, after hours of twiddling.

Anyone else tried the same?

Roo

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
ibm-main
2004-11-05 22:23:51 UTC
Plenty - as a search of the archives would no doubt show.
Best to use the herc list.

Shane ...

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
roo
2004-11-06 00:17:33 UTC
Yes, did you use Volker Bandke's prebuilt system? That usually works
without any drama.
I couldn't find it, but I found mvsbin-v100.zip from schaefernet, if I
remember correctly.

It IPLs OK and there's a fair number of TSO commands working. My guess
is there's enough to build on.

But one frustration is the lack of FTP to copy stuff into MVS libraries.
Or the IND$FILE command would let me do transfer across a terminal link.
So I'm writing JCL and assembler code using the TSO line-mode editor!

Volker Bandke
2004-11-07 10:29:14 UTC

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Rupert Reynolds
2004-11-07 13:27:36 UTC
Post by Volker Bandke
http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey
I did look, and that's how I got interested (again) enough to install
Hercules and MVS!

But, forgive me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a download
site. So I'm waiting for a CD from CTBtape.

Do you mind if I ask how output spool is set up on MVS Turnkey? I'm
running jobs OK and they show up in the user's
STATUS comand, but OUTPUT reports no help output.

Jay Maynard
2004-11-07 13:31:10 UTC
Post by Rupert Reynolds
But, forgive me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a download
site. So I'm waiting for a CD from CTBtape.
There's more to my page on ibiblio.org than pictures of my TRON costume
(which have now moved to http://www.tronguy.net , anyway). If you go to
http://www.ibiblio.org/jmaynard , and scroll almost to the bottom, there's a
link to download Turnkey #3.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Binyamin Dissen
2004-11-07 13:39:07 UTC
On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:27:18 +0000 Rupert Reynolds <***@CIX.CO.UK> wrote:

:>Do you mind if I ask how output spool is set up on MVS Turnkey? I'm
:>running jobs OK and they show up in the user's
:>STATUS comand, but OUTPUT reports no help output.

The OUTPUT command only processes output in a held class.

--
Binyamin Dissen <***@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jim Ruddy
2018-10-05 18:02:46 UTC
Post by Rupert Reynolds
Post by Volker Bandke
http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/turnkey
I did look, and that's how I got interested (again) enough to install
Hercules and MVS!
But, forgive me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a download
site. So I'm waiting for a CD from CTBtape.
Do you mind if I ask how output spool is set up on MVS Turnkey? I'm
running jobs OK and they show up in the user's
STATUS comand, but OUTPUT reports no help output.
Roo
Go to http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/ and download

MVS_TK4-_v1.00_Users_Manual.pdf User’s Manual

tk4-cbt.zip Optional CBT DASD

tk4-source.zip Optional Source DASD

tk4-_v1.00_current.zip Current TK4- System: TK4- System with all incremental updates applied

It is pretty much as easy as unzipping tk4-_v1.00_current.zip, running mvs.bat to IPL, and connecting your terminal emulator.

Jim
Allodoxaphobia
2018-10-06 18:43:54 UTC
Post by Jim Ruddy
Post by Rupert Reynolds
Post by Volker Bandke
[...]
And, you're replying to a 14-year old message -- WHY??????

Oh, I see. Just another klewless google grooper....

Knutson, Sam
2004-11-07 15:22:26 UTC
File # 207 FSE a free version of old Full Screen Edit for TSO

http://www.cbttape.org/ftp/cbt/CBT207.zip

http://www.cbttape.org

//***FILE 207 IS A FULL SCREEN EDITOR FROM CITIBANK OF NEW YORK,
//* NEW YORK. THIS DATA SET IS IN IEBUPDTE SYSIN FORMAT
//* AND CONTAINS THE SOURCE MODULES AND DOCUMENTATION
//* FOR THEIR 3270 FULL SCREEN EDITOR, WHICH IS ALSO AN
//* INCORE EDITOR. THIS IS A TSO FULL SCREEN EDITOR TO
//* BE USED SOLELY FOR REMOTE AND LOCAL 3270 UNITS. IT
//* ALLOWS THE SIMULTANEOUS UPDATE AND BROWSE OF UP TO
//* 21 LINES OF A DATA SET, AND THE EXECUTION OF AN
//* FSE/TSO COMMAND AT THE SAME TIME.

*
* THIS IS A TSO FULL-SCREEN EDITOR TO BE USED SOLELY FOR REMOTE AND
* LOCAL 3270 UNITS. IT ALLOWES THE SIMULTANEOUS UPDATE AND BROWSE
* OF UP TO 21 LINES OF A DATA SET, AND THE EXECUTION OF AN FSE/TSO
* COMMAND AT THE SAME TIME.
*
* THE FSE SYSTEM IS MADE UP OF 8 SEPARATE MODULES PLACED IN A
* LINKLIST DATA SET AND A SUBROUTINE LINKED WITH MAIN MODULE
* "FSE". THE FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF THESE ROUTINES
* AND THEIR FUNCTIONS:
*
* 1) FSE THIS IS THE MAIN DRIVER ROUTINE TO WHICH CONTROL IS
* PASSED FROM THE TSO TMP. IT SCANS THE PARAMETERS
* BUFFER, SETS ALL PROCESSING OPTION FLAGS, BUILDS A
* CORE (GETMAINED) SYSEDIT FILE ACCORDING TO SIZE OF
* DATA SET BEING EDITED, ALLOCATES THE FILE, AND
* PERFORMS THE MAIN BULK OF FSE SUBCOMMANDS FOR
* PERFORMANCE CONSIDERATIONS. ONCE THE FILE IS STORED
* IN CORE, A MAIN LOOP IS EXECUTED FOR EACH TIME
* THE ENTER KEY IS PRESSED: A STAE AND STAX ROUTINE
* IS SET UP TO HANDLE ABENDS AND PA1 KEY INTERRUPTS,
* THE FIRST 21 LINES OF THE DATA SET (STARTING AT THE
* CURRENT RECORD) ARE WRITTEN TO THE SCREEN, A FULL
* SCREEN TGET IS ISSUED TO READ THE CRT"S BUFFERS AND
* ALL MODIFIED LINES ARE WRITTEN TO THE CORRESPONDING
* RECORDS IN THE SYSEDIT BY LINE NUMBER. WHEN UP TO
* A MAXIMUM OF 21 LINES ARE WRITTEN BACK TO STORAGE,
* FSE WILL READ THE BUFFER WHERE COMMANDS ARE ENTERED.
* IF IT IS A FSE SUBCOMMAND, A ROUTINE HANDLING THE
* SUBCOMMAND IS EITHER LINKED OR BRANCHED. IF IT NOT
* AN FSE DEFINED SUBCOMMAND, MODULE "FSETSO" IS LINKED
* TO PROCESS THE COMMAND, WITH THE ASSUMPTION THAT IT
* WAS A NATIVE TSO COMMAND. UPON COMPLETION OF THE
* COMMAND PROCESSING, THE LOOP IS RE-EXECUTED ETC...
* * PFKEYS ARE ALSO PRE DEFINED TO PERFORM SUBCOMMANDS
* AND ARE ALSO PROGRAMMABLE TO THE USERS" NEEDS.
*
* 2) FSESAVE THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE TO SAVE THE SYSEDIT
* FILE TO SYSDA STORAGE. ALL CHECKS REGARDING LRECL,
* DSORG, RECFM ETC ARE PERFORMED TO AVOID ABENDS.
* THIS MODULE IS ALSO USED TO CREATE A TEMPORARY
* DATA SET (USERID.FSEABCDE) TO STORE JCL TEXT
* AND PASS IT TO JES2 FOR BACKGROUND PROCESSING
* BY USING A FAKE SUBMIT COMMAND INTERNALLY.
*
* 3) FSECHANG THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE TO HANDLE "CHANGE"
* SUBCOMMANDS. DUE TO SIZE AND RARETY IN USE IT IS
* A SEPARATE MODULE IN THE LINKLIST.
*
* 4) FSEPRTY THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE TO ALTER DISPATCHING
* PRIORITY OF FSE-EXECUTING ADDRESS SPACE FOR BETTER
* RESPONSE TIME AND TO DECREASE SIGNIFICANCE FOR THE
* THREE INTERVALS IN TSO IPS"S. IT IS CALLED TWICE
* ONCE ENTERING FSE AT PRTY=240 AND A SECOND TIME
* LEAVING IT AT PRTY=126.
*
* 5) FSETSO THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE TO PROCESS A COMMAND
* NOT FOUND TO BE AN FSE SUBCOMMAND. IF AN S806 OCCURS
* FROM THE LINK ISSUED IN FSETSO, MODULE FSESYSCD WILL
* PLACE "COMMND NOT FOUND" MSG TO THE RESPONSE FIELD.
*
* 6) FSESYSCD THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE WHENEVER AN ABEND
* OCCURS. IT TRANSLATES THE HEX ABEND CODE IN THE
* PASSED S.D.W.A. FIELD TO PRINTABLE EBCDIC AND MOVES
* THE ABEND MSG TO THE RESPONSE FIELD.
*
* 7) FSEFREE THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE AND FSESAVE TO FREE
* ANY ALLOCATED FSE DDNAME.
*
* 8) FSEATTR THIS MODULE IS LINKED FROM FSE UPON ENTRY AND RETURN
* TO FREE A DCB ATTRIBUTE LIST ALLOCATED FOR NEW
* DATA SET SAVE FUNCTIONS.
*
* 9) FSEPFKEY THIS MODULE IS BRANCH-CALLED FROM MAIN MODULE "FSE"
* TO EITHER EXECUTE A SPECIFIC SUBCOMMAND OR TSO
* COMMAND ASSOCIATED WITH THE PRESSING OF A PROGRAM
* FUNCTION KEY, TO DISPLAY THE CURRENT ASSIGNMENT
* OF PF KEYS 1 - 12, OR TO PROGRAM A USER"S FUNCTION
* WITH A PFKEY.
*
* 10) IGC0024H THIS TYPE 3/4 USER SVC (248) IS ALSO USED IN A
* MVT/SVS/TCAM ENVIRONMENT TO REPOSITION THE INTERNAL
* TCAM MAJOR TERMINAL QCB TO TOP OF THE SCREEN IN
* ORDER TO AVOID THE JUMPING TO THE NEXT LINE UPON
* ISSUING A TGET. THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT
* SO AS NOT TO LOSE ANY OUTSIDE ISSUED MESSAGES
* SUCH AS JOB-END NOTIFY, OPERATOR OR TSO USER
* MESSAGES, WHICH WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE UNUSED
* VERY FIRST LINE OF THE TERMINAL.
* THE CODE IN "FSE" WILL ONLY ISSUE THE SVC IF
* TSO IS RUNNING UNDER TCAM AND NOT UNDER MVS.
* IT IS NOT USED UNDER MVS BECAUSE THERE IS AN
* AWFUL AMOUNT OF OVERHEAD IN SCHEDULING AN SRB
* TO THE TCAM ADDRESS SPACE (GETMAIN, FREEMAIN AND
* OTHER SVC"S, WHICH WOULD EXECUTE EVERY TIME
* THE ENTER KEY OR A PF KEY IS PRESSED. ALSO
* IT WOULD BE JOB NAME DEPENDENT ON THE TCAM
* PROC NAME IN SEARCHING FOR ITS ASCB IN CORE.
*
*
* FSE SUBCOMMANDS ARE :
* TOP,BOTTOM,PF,PB,HF,HB,UP,DOWN,RENUM,CHANGE,
* COPY,MOVE,DSN,SAVE,END,DONE,FIND,SAVEEND,
* DELETE,INSERT,COLUMN,SUBMIT,AUTOSAVE,PFK
*
*
*
*
* NATIONAL BANK OF NORTH AMERICA
* 7/77 BRUNO LA LICATA. 1/80 (CITIBANK)
*

From INSTALL

6) REMEBER, FSE WAS DESIGNED AND WRITTEN TO DRAW CIRCLES AROUND
OTHER MANUFACTURER"S FULL SCREEN EDITORS IN PERFORMANCE.
BE SURE ALL THOSE DETAILS ABOVE ARE FOLLOWED TO GAIN 100%
OF ITS CAPABILITIES.

ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS FEEL FREE TO CALL ME (BRUNO LALICATA)
AT CITIBANK IN DOWNTOWN NEW YORK..

As far as I know this copy of FSE was an original work of Bruno Lalicata
contributed
to the public domain.

Clear enough?

Regard, Sam