IKJEFTSR
2018-06-06 21:21:39 UTC
We're just now bringing up z/OS 2.3. By and large looking good except for a few trouble spots. One is this:

PDS859E External command IKJEFTSR is not installed
PDS987E PUTGET Service failed; RC=24

This occurs when invoking StarTool either in ISPF or at Ready. IKJEFTSR is indeed present in LPALIB, observed and verified by ISRDDN. Is this a StarTool problem?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

Mark Zelden
2018-06-06 21:43:58 UTC
PDS859E External command IKJEFTSR is not installed
PDS987E PUTGET Service failed; RC=24
This occurs when invoking StarTool either in ISPF or at Ready. IKJEFTSR is indeed present in LPALIB, observed and verified by ISRDDN. Is this a StarTool problem?
IDK, but PDS86 works fine and is still free. :-) I assume you checked the vendor's
website / doc for compatibility with z/OS 2.3.

Best Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:***@mzelden.com
Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/
Jousma, David
2018-06-07 11:48:02 UTC
Skip,

I had this same/similar problem on V2.3 with the freebie PDS86. I was at V151, and there was a 161 level and it worked fine. I suspect you need to contact the vendor.

Command ===>
Enter an ISPF command, a PDS subcommand or a specia
- DSN=E008058.JCL.DATA,VOL=SER=TCB961 MEM=IEB* -
copy * jcl.data.new
PDS484W COPY IS IN PROGRESS
PDS859E COMMAND IKJEFTSR WAS NOT FOUND
Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

We're just now bringing up z/OS 2.3. By and large looking good except for a few trouble spots. One is this:

PDS859E External command IKJEFTSR is not installed PDS987E PUTGET Service failed; RC=24

This occurs when invoking StarTool either in ISPF or at Ready. IKJEFTSR is indeed present in LPALIB, observed and verified by ISRDDN. Is this a StarTool problem?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

2018-06-07 18:03:47 UTC
Well, RC=24 is Incorrect parameters were supplied to the PUTGET service routine., so I would guess yes. I miss Bruce.

2018-06-08 16:12:32 UTC
So as others have surmised, this results from a change to IKJEFTSR. StarTool was so christened by Serena Software when Bruce Leland and Steve Smith took the shareware PDS command--relative of PDS86 on CBT--private. Recently Serena was bought by Micro Focus, which is now responsible for StarTool.

Micro Focus has stated that the next release of StarTool is required to fix this particular problem. It's not just a nicety. Current releases of StarTool will not run *at all* under z/OS 2.3. New release (7.8.1) goes GA on June 15.

I am not impressed.

Ed Jaffe
2018-06-08 16:37:41 UTC
Micro Focus has stated that the next release of StarTool is required to fix this particular problem. It's not just a nicety. Current releases of StarTool will not run *at all* under z/OS 2.3. New release (7.8.1) goes GA on June 15.
Wow! z/OS 2.3 was made available to ISVs in October 2016 through the IBM
PartnerWorld Early Testing Program (ETP)! (Is that 20 months ago?)

Sounds like you're dealing with a classic "cash cow" product situation
here. On "life support" with fixes only as needed. No dedicated
developers, new requirements, enhancements, day-1 z/OS toleration, etc.
Not even basic toleration testing...
--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe
831 Parkview Drive North
El Segundo, CA 90245
http://www.phoenixsoftware.com/
This e-mail message, including any attachments, appended messages and the
information contained therein, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient or have otherwise
received this email message in error, any use, dissemination, distribution,
review, storage or copying of this e-mail message and the information
contained therein is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended
of this email message and do not otherwise utilize or retain this email
message or any or all of the information contained therein. Although this
email message and any attachments or appended messages are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the
sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from its opening or use.

2018-06-08 17:04:00 UTC
Of course companies large and small are wont to portray mergers and acquisitions as all sweetness and light. It happens in this case that the Serena/Micro Focus fusion was consummated in 2016, probably leaving waters considerably muddied for some time.

https://www.microfocus.com/about/press-room/article/2016/micro-focus-completes-acquisition-of-serena-software-inc/

Rob Schramm
2018-06-17 12:56:13 UTC
I would dare say that microfocus most recent aquisition of HP has probably
thrown things into a more confused state.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/19/micro-focus-ceo-departure-plunges-shares-by-56-per-cent

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/micro-focus-loses-city-s-confidence-on-doubts-over-hp-acquisition-a3754246.html

Rob Schramm

2018-06-17 15:08:02 UTC
There's a certain irony here is the long standing corporate distrust of shareware for production support. The conventional wisdom is that it's safer to rely on a corporate vendor than on smart but volunteer developers. This is not a good place to be right now.

Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
Of course companies large and small are wont to portray mergers and
acquisitions as all sweetness and light. It happens in this case that
the Serena/Micro Focus fusion was consummated in 2016, probably
leaving waters considerably muddied for some time.
https://www.microfocus.com/about/press-room/article/2016/micro-focus-c
ompletes-acquisition-of-serena-software-inc/
On Behalf Of Ed Jaffe

David Jackson
2018-06-20 16:23:30 UTC
I wanted to clarify any possible confusion arising from this thread.

FDM 7.8.0 being an older release does not support z/OS 2.3 and will receive various errors if attempted to run on that level of Operating System - including the one referenced in this thread.

FDM 7.8.1 went GA on June 30th 2017 i.e. 3 months before z/OS 2.3 went GA on September 29th 2017. Subsequent toleration fixes were available after the z/OS 2.3 GA date.
As a result, any Serena FDM user wishing to migrate to z/OS 2.3 at that time would have required to upgrade to FDM 7.8.1 plus those fixes which have been available since 2017.
FDM 7.8.1.01 is one of our regular scheduled patch releases and was released GA just last week on June 15th 2018 and contains a roll up of the 7.8.1 fixes plus additional minor fixes and enhancements.

Any Serena FDM users currently in the process of upgrading to z/OS 2.3 at this time would be better placed to take advantage of the 7.8.1.01 patch release and the additional preventive maintenance that it offers.

As always, Serena mainframe users are advised to contact Customer Support to get the latest and most accurate information as to what is required when performing any z/OS upgrade as it may require a new release or toleration fixes.
Support will always be able to advise accordingly to help in your planning process.

David Jackson
Sr R&D Manager Mainframe products
Serena - Micro Focus