IBM ZD&T
Jousma, David
2018-01-12 18:01:36 UTC
If you are not aware, this is z/OS running on x86 for dev/test work. Anyone doing this in the real world? We've got architects in the corporation that head about this, and want to discuss it. I just don't know enough about it to know if it's a big deal, or a breadbox with regards to building and supporting.

My concerns:
- are how to support
- is it an identical image of standard lpars on Z?
- security
- etc, etc, etc.

I did a few searches on google looking for a past SHARE presentation for a 10,000' view. To my uneducated self, it sounds like an easy way for management to defer mainframe cpu costs, but at a huge support cost. Am I wrong?

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.
It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error,
please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the
message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Mike Fulton
2018-01-12 18:11:51 UTC
Post by Jousma, David
[...]
Hi

To your first question - 'is anyone in the real world using this?' Yes - many are. Typically they will have an internal private cloud set up where they can host their environments on demand and scale out as required. A very popular starting point is around onboarding new people and testing applications. If you use it for education, the default z/OS + middleware distribution shipped with zD&T works great. If you want to use it to test your own stuff, you need to set up a 'golden image' of your volumes that you sync to the zD&T boxes so that you have an image. How easy or hard that is to do varies based on company and how well they can 'stand up' systems. In this case, zD&T is really just another LPAR (running at a lower MIP rate). It is an identical image to your LPARs on z. You copy over volumes. Now - you want to be reasonable about this. If you have a 20 terabyte database, you probably don't want to copy the whole thing over. You likely want to work with a reduced/anonymized test database so that you can provision a system quickly.
I would be happy to discuss more on this topic (***@ca.ibm.com). We also have a variety of offerings around zD&T from 'bare metal - here is the software - go crazy' to IBM-managed systems to a new 'zos as a service' experimental instance we have where you log in to the IBM cloud, click a tile and get access to your own personal z/OS instance running in the cloud.
Senthil Nathan
2018-01-12 18:55:49 UTC
David,

zDT is used by many Mainframe customers for their test workload.

I have seen customers using this for a regression testing environment to small/mid size customers offloading their majority of Dev/test workload to zDT. It is like standalone LPAR with a cap on number of cores of CPU.

Support cost is not that different from maintaining another LPAR, if right processes & procedures are in place.

Please feel free to post/email me, if you have any specific questions on zDT.

Regards,
Senthil Nathan
Infrastructure Architect,
Mainframe Engineering,
Cognizant Technology Solutions
2018-01-12 19:58:23 UTC
My understand is that it is neither licensed nor supported for production work.

Jousma, David

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

Phil Smith
2018-01-12 20:20:33 UTC
Post by Jousma, David
If you are not aware, this is z/OS running on x86 for dev/test work. Anyone doing this in the real world? We've got architects in the corporation that head about this, and want to discuss it. I just don't know enough about it to know if it's a big deal, or a breadbox with regards to building and supporting.
- are how to support
- is it an identical image of standard lpars on Z?
- security
- etc, etc, etc.
I did a few searches on google looking for a past SHARE presentation for a 10,000' view. To my uneducated self, it sounds like an easy way for management to defer mainframe cpu costs, but at a huge support cost. Am I wrong?
That's "zDT" ("z Development Tool") or "RDz" (Rational Development for z"). (Perhaps both now all caps? Who knows!) AKA 1090. Been around for quite a while. Cheap hardware, emulating z; think "Flex-ES only from IBM" (it's *not* Flex, but same general idea).

Runs on Intel or Power hardware. From toy to moderately serious. Support? Depends-if it Just Runs, it'll be cheaper. If whoever has to maintain it is unfamiliar with Linux, then sure, it might be an adventure.

You can buy them prebuilt, with support, from ITC (www.itconline.com<http://www.itconline.com>) or you can build your own. Building your own is going to be a significant amount of work, right.
--

...phsiii

Phil Smith III
Senior Architect & Product Manager, Mainframe & Enterprise
Distinguished Technologist
Micro Focus

ITschak Mugzach
2018-01-13 14:17:46 UTC
acrording to this page (
https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2017/09/08/ibm-z-systems-development-test-environment-zdt-v11-available/)
this is same as zPDT. We use zPDT top develop out IronSphere ISCM for
legacy platform, but zPDT, afaik, is for members of the partner in
development program. It look like zd&t is for everyone.

ITschak
Post by Jousma, David
[...]
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring
for Legacy **| *

2018-01-13 15:11:59 UTC
Post by ITschak Mugzach
acrording to this page (
https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2017/09/08/ibm-z-
systems-development-test-environment-zdt-v11-available/)
this is same as zPDT. We use zPDT top develop out IronSphere ISCM for
legacy platform, but zPDT, afaik, is for members of the partner in
development program. It look like zd&t is for everyone.
Oh, how I now wish that I were wealthy. But I remember years ago looking at
the cost of zPDT and it was something like $10000 to start and a couple of
thousand per year for maintenance. I'd love to run the zd&t on my Xeon(R)
CPU E3-1276 v3 @ 3.60GHz at home
​.​

Post by ITschak Mugzach
ITschak
--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Farley, Peter x23353
2018-01-13 19:00:33 UTC
And according to this link from that page:

https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/z-systems-development-test-environment

"Develop and test mainframe applications on x86 hardware
Starting at $4,920.00 USD per year"

Still not hobbyist pricing, and still somewhat steep on a per-programmer basis for a company to pay, and large development teams (100+) would make that a relatively high-cost tool.

I would presume that a good discount to that "list price" could be negotiated by an organization with an existing substantial investment in real IBM iron and software, but small organizations and hobbyists are still SOL.

Grant Taylor
2018-01-13 19:46:16 UTC
"Develop and test mainframe applications on x86 hardware Starting at
$4,920.00 USD per year"
I've heard through the grape vine that the ~$5k investment turns into a
paperweight after the one year. Purportedly you can't continue using
things as it was two months after you bought it a year later.

This makes even the ~$5k investment all that much more of a non-starter
for hobbyists.

Purportedly there is a different version for ~$10k that does work in
perpetuity.
Still not hobbyist pricing, and still somewhat steep on a per-programmer
basis for a company to pay, and large development teams (100+) would
make that a relatively high-cost tool.
I think I've heard / read documentation saying that the zD&T can be used
by multiple programmers. I want to say 5 ~ 15, depending on their demand.

Still strictly non-production uses.

I personally (a naive n00b) feel like the zD&T is capable of running
production load, especially if it's small load. - But that would cut
into IBM's sales of real machines. So they have to nip that in the bud
and stop that.

I fully get and respect needing to be able to control the entire
ecosystem to be able to properly support things. But what about when
things "just work" and the business is willing to accept the risk?
I would presume that a good discount to that "list price" could be
negotiated by an organization with an existing substantial investment
in real IBM iron and software, but small organizations and hobbyists
are still SOL.
Maybe ~> Hopefully
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Mike Schwab
2018-01-13 20:02:33 UTC
You would not need one for every programmer. Perhaps one to take to a
customer site to demonstrate your software and one to host an
application for a development team. If the applications are small
could hold several applications, until you hit a space limit or ram or
cpu causing slowdowns.

Jack J. Woehr
2018-01-13 20:13:55 UTC
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/z-systems-development-test-environment
"Develop and test mainframe applications on x86 hardware
Starting at $4,920.00 USD per year"
Seems to be z/OS that comes with it but no z/VM?
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe

ITschak Mugzach
2018-01-13 20:36:39 UTC
Can (and does) run z/OS, zVse, zLinux & z/VM on the machine. We have a
single processor machine with an estimated of 4 MSUs based on an old rexx I
have.

And, no. Pricing is not a per-programmer price.

ITschak

Jousma, David

Post by Farley, Peter x23353
https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/z-systems-development-test-envir
onment
"Develop and test mainframe applications on x86 hardware Starting at
$4,920.00 USD per year"
Still not hobbyist pricing, and still somewhat steep on a per-programmer basis for a company to pay, and large development teams (100+) would make that a relatively high-cost tool.
I would presume that a good discount to that "list price" could be negotiated by an organization with an existing substantial investment in real IBM iron and software, but small organizations and hobbyists are still SOL.
On Behalf Of ITschak Mugzach

Grant Taylor
2018-01-14 06:14:11 UTC
Post by Jousma, David
So, is no one using ZD&T in the real world? IBM is touting this
as a DEV tool, to offload mips and to be able to spin up copies semi
automatically via zOSMF workflows. Sounds nice in theory, but its in
practice that I worry about. IBM wants us to treat them like spinning up
linux instances. Problem is how do I spin up our customized z/os image
with a live copy of security database, etc, etc, etc. Automation,
how do tasks get started. A APP DEV person cannot/will not have the
access to do that. Then pushing the required app data down to it.
Please forgive my ignorance, but how is the procedure conceptually
different to restore from a backup to a bare metal mainframe than
restoring from a backup to a zD&T / zPDT?

As sure as I ask that, I have no idea what the R portion of DR would be
for a mainframe that was not using some sort of replication.

Is it not possible to boot some sort of live environment that can
prepare storage and then start restoring files from a backup?

Is there such a think as a TSM bare metal recovery option for a mainframe?

I ask this because this is a not-uncommon thing to do in the Open
Systems world.

Could you not do similar with zD&T / zPDT / bare metal?

Would something like this not work?
Post by Jousma, David
Just too many questions in my mind. zPDT is the vendor version I guess,
but those are treated/maintained like a standard image with all the
same care and feeding as a standard z lpar and are what I would call
permanent images.
Shouldn't the backups be created in such a way as to support restoring
to a brand new blank system? Possibly with something that will then
restore deltas from the original image to roll forward?

Sure, you need to quiesce various things to be able to get a good
backup. But isn't that already being done?
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Phil Smith
2018-01-13 16:19:03 UTC
Look at that...IBM seems to have renamed it from zDT to ZD&T. Perhaps with the rename from z Systems to IBM Z?

Anyway, note:
z Systems Development and Test Environment cannot be used for production workloads of any kind, nor robust development workloads, including without limitation, production module builds, preproduction testing, stress testing, or performance testing.

John McKown, last time I checked, zPDT (which is the vendor version, as others have noted) wasn't any $100K. More like $10K. Still expensive for a hobbyist. OTOH I think that was with support, though I could be wrong...if you want to build your own, I believe (it used to be the case) that all you *have* to pay for is the dongle.

Mike Cairns
2018-01-13 17:32:16 UTC
To try and answer the OP's questions:

Support: pretty much on your own wrt IBM, there are forums, and you can get general advice about the z/OS, sub-systems and applications in places like here of course. In any case as it cannot legally be used for real workload, support shouldn't really be so much of an issue.

Identical to lpars: sort of, mostly. You can run up a z/VM and host multiple z/OS's or other z/VM's. You can run coupling facility code and simulate a sysplex. You can run Linux for z, either in a z/VM or bare metal. I might be wrong (it's been several years since I had my hands on one), but IIRC they don't simulate the varying CPU types a true System Z can have installed, so no ZIIP/ZAAP or IFL as such. There are several connectivity options, simulated CTC and other types of comms links (not my area of specialisation so I cannot recall the details) so you can have a network of them talking to each other.

Security: They run real z/OS, and subsystems - CICS, DB2, WAS, etc etc - so they have RACF (though the ADCD z/OS software bundle supplied with them has a RACF database that is insecurely configured - this has been the case for many years though). Of course the z/OS is hosted as an application running under Linux, so you have to consider the Linux security implications also.

It is an easy way to get some workload off the production z/OS box yes. I personally don't think the support overhead is much of an issue - I used one for years and was happy with it, it's stable and just works. Someone else also suggested that it was difficult to put together yourself - I disagree, after upgrading it with every z/OS release for a few years I got very slick and putting together a new one, and would have it built from scratch and all the z/OS stack installed in an afternoon.

As has been said before, it's basically IBM's answer (and not a bad answer either) to the alternative emulators that once existed in the market such as MP3000, Flex-ES, PSI or Hercules390 and it's built using a very similar approach and technology.

Hoe this helps - cheers, Mike

Timothy Sipples
2018-01-14 09:44:40 UTC
Post by Jousma, David
To my uneducated self, it sounds like an easy way for management
to defer mainframe cpu costs, but at a huge support cost. Am I
wrong?
There's a good chance you're wrong. Exactly *how* you're wrong is a
separate matter. :-)

Let's assume you're well onboard with the terrific idea of providing more
and better z/OS resources to your organization's developers. There are at
least three options for more affordable acquisition, in no particular
order:

* IBM Container Pricing: Application Development & Test Solution
* IBM Solution Edition for Application Development and Test
* IBM Z Development & Test Environment (ZD&T)

These approaches are not mutually exclusive.

I'd focus on accomplishing the goal (more resources for developers),
examine the choices together with all stakeholders, and pick one or more.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z and LinuxONE, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

Sebastian Welton
2018-01-14 10:53:51 UTC
zD&T (previously RD&T) is basically just zPDT under the covers with a few more additions. zPDT is primarily for ISVs whereas zD&T is more for your corporate world but no production work, just development and testing and even that is subject to some quite strict specifications. zD&T comes in basically 2 versions, the Personal Edition where each user has their own zD&T and license or via software licensing (which has confused the hell out of me, like all IBM software licensing). You can run it on a standalone x86 server, in a virtualized environment (which makes it easy to clone images, ala DevOps) and in a managed services such as a cloud based system.

It runs all the z operating systems that we all love (not older ones though) although z/VM is required for Sysplex operation and has some restrictions. There are various options on the amount of processors (zPDT is restricted here) and it does support IFLs and ZiiPs, in fact in the latest version of zPDT, the ZiiPs are 'free'. There is a wealth of information out there although trying to find the wheat from the chaff can be time consuming, the best starting point is the zPDT Redbook:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg248205.html?Open

Sebastian

zMan
2018-01-15 05:01:44 UTC
Is it just me, or does"zD&T" sound more like a medical procedure than a
computer offering?
Post by Sebastian Welton
[...]
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

Barbara Nitz
2018-01-15 05:58:24 UTC
zD&T comes with an ADCD system, which used to lag behind 12-18 months (when I worked on an RDT system) about 2 years ago.

ADCD does not have *any* z/OS support as we know it (when you only have an RDT system, you cannot order ptfs). The process of 'migrating' to a new ADCD version is cumbersome to say the least because you have to migrate all applications to the new system, including any customization you may have done. The setup does encourage a terrible mixing of applications and systems, at least if you're not a sysprog. It did not come with SMS set up.

I made the effort of fixing the ADCD system to make it maintainable. Which means that I completely restructured the system setup (starting with SMPE and the sysres layout and including a better USS setup). I also fixed the RACF database and set up a simple SMS/HSM environment (only L1 migration).

Once you've done the initial effort of cleaning it up, you can order ptf refreshs on your 'real' :-) z/OS and distribute them like you would to another lpar. After that, an RDT system was just another lpar to roll things out to. An ADRDSSU volume dump can get ftp'd to the ADCD system where it can get restored to the emulated 'DASD' (Linux files).

I got lucky in that the upgrade to new z1090 code got done by someone who knew what he was doing in Linux. For day-to-day operations you need so few Linux commands that even I could handle that.

I was even able to define an EAV volume for testing purposes. It is discouraged to use them heavily because there is no such thing as HiperPAV (every 'volume' is emulated as a 'simple' Linux File), but testing was good.

Check the archives, I talked about the ADCD shortcomings in the past. (I even have a large list of what should get done or get done better flying around somewhere).

Barbara

Joseph Reichman
2018-01-16 00:43:18 UTC
The Southern California Z User Group held its quarterly meeting this week at Pacific Life Insurance Company in Newport Beach. As usual, we featured two topics, one of which happened to be zD&T. The presentation pdf is now available. Since this is an IBM sponsored group, the presentation should be valuable to all customers. I hope it will answer some of the questions in this thread. If nothing else, you will have an expert contact.

https://ibm.box.com/s/g2kubb58gbzhweeif0x70vm634rnqsqq

Tom Brennan
2018-01-17 03:31:28 UTC
I was there! Very good session by Kurt Chadrick (and another by Cecilia
Lewis about encryption). Anyway, Kurt surprised me by mentioning
Training usage of zD&T, which I always assumed was a no-no. So I asked
him what you CANNOT do with zD&T. His answer was simple - Production.
Ok, that means a company could set up one of these boxes and use it as a
cheap way to train our replacements. Is that happening somewhere already?
Grant Taylor
2018-01-17 04:00:42 UTC
Post by Tom Brennan
Ok, that means a company could set up one of these boxes and use it as a
cheap way to train our replacements.  Is that happening somewhere already?
I have a friend & colleague at a company that is using zD&T (et al) to
train new hires or raise skills of existing mainframers.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Jousma, David
2018-04-10 19:34:18 UTC
So, I finally got around to downloading the presentation that Skip mentioned here and took a peek. Looks similar to the dog and pony that IBM gave to us. My architects keep pounding on me that they just want to use the IBM supplied vanilla copy of the z/OS image, and the DB2 that comes with that. Is that even possible? What ID's besides IBMUSER are even on this environment? The problem is I have no knowledge of how any of this works, and I've been pushing back that I *thought* we'd have to at least integrate our security (CA-TSS) into that environment, etc. But as soon as that occurs, then nothing else in the IBM supplied distro will even start?

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here and over complicating things. They just want a throwaway vanilla environment. I feel like they think this is a simple "lets stand up a Linux or Windows" and let them play. I admittedly do not yet see how the vanilla port can just work for me. And what scares me is the amount of additional customization I will have to build into this to simply make it work for us.

Any more feedback on this would be helpful.

ITschak Mugzach
2018-04-10 19:45:10 UTC
Afaik zd&t is same as zPDT. If so, it is an operational system. Just follow
the redbooks.

ITschak

בתאריך יום ג׳, 10 באפר׳ 2018, 22:36, מאת Jousma, David ‏<
Dan Kalmar
2018-03-04 05:05:54 UTC
We licensed ZD&T from IBM a few month ago and use it for development and demo purposes. we don't have a real MF running z/OS.
As it was mentioned by someone above, with ZD&T you get z/OS in the form of the ADCD pre-built distribution and I have been told by IBM that no APAR/PTF support is available. (this is due to the fact that we don't have a real z/OS license)
I would love to know if there is a way to download APARS and apply them via SMP. This is a real pain that for some fix that you might need you have to wait a few month for a new ADCD to be published.
Timothy Sipples
2018-04-11 02:04:16 UTC
Post by Jousma, David
Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here and over complicating
things.

Maybe. Probably. :-)
Post by Jousma, David
vanilla copy of the z/OS image, and the DB2 that comes with that.
What's wrong with that?

If they're going to try to run the bank's production workloads on ZD&TE,
that's a nonstarter. But I assume that's not what they're trying to do,
because....
Post by Jousma, David
They just want a throwaway vanilla environment. I feel like they think
this is a simple "lets stand up a Linux or Windows" and let them play.
And that's usually fine, even more than fine! If developers have better
tools, they produce more, quicker, and with better quality. Everybody wins,
including especially the bank's customers.

Sure, there ought to be a *couple* basic rules. As a notable example, they
ought not be using real customer data in their "throwaway" environments,
which is really what your security software (CA Top Secret) is trying to
protect. That would be contrary to the bank's and customers' security
interests. But if there's no sensitive data to protect, rock on! Source
code will still be stored and managed according to bank policies (and
intellectual property enforcement), and you'll still test, hopefully better
and faster.

In addition (not in lieu of!), it'd be wise to look at how you provide
mainframe services in much more of a self-service/walk-up/instant fashion.
You can certainly do that. All of the ingredients are there, usually at no
additional charge. For example, you can use the z/OS Management Facility to
allow an authorized developer in a development LPAR to provision her own
Db2 table with test data using a pre-built z/OSMF workflow, and without any
involvement from system programmers, DBAs, etc. Just "I need a Db2 table
today for my spur-of-the-moment mobile app idea," and she gets it,
immediately, via self-service. When she's done, 6 hours later or whatever,
that service is de-provisioned. Everybody wins, except perhaps the FinTech
that's trying to beat the bank.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

Jousma, David

w***@gmail.com
2018-04-11 06:15:39 UTC
I recently took part in installing a zD&T + zOS ADCD system for system verification purposes.
"each user has their own zD&T"
"What ID's besides IBMUSER are even on this environment?"
Not true. The zD&T+ADCD is a fully fledged zOS systerm with all the bells and whistles. So you can define as many TSO, DB2, IMS etc userids as you desire and need. The limitiation is that you can define a max of 32 TN3270 connections, where one probably would be a master console. But it also comes with an OSA adapter, so maybe you can connect more users that way.
Wendell Lovewell
2018-04-11 12:36:58 UTC
Hi Dave.

I don't have any ideas about the cost, but you might try googling "RD&TaaMS".

Or, take a look at the article "Automate z Systems Application Testing on the Cloud" at

http://ibmsystemsmag.com/mainframe/administrator/systemsmanagement/rdandt-cloud/

hth,
Wendell

p***@optusnet.com.au
2018-04-18 04:40:03 UTC
Post by Jousma, David
[...]
Links to the latest zD&T details plus other useful web pages.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSTQBD_12.0.0
Product /com.ibm.zdt.overview.gs.doc/topics/rdzutconfig_whatsnew.html
https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/products/z-systems-development-test-environment/
https://developer.ibm.com/mainframe/2018/03/13/announcing-ibm-z-development-test-environment-v12-zos-devops-glides-cloud/
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000001131