StackExchange proposed mainframe discussion group
2018-08-18 16:27:50 UTC
I know this has come up here before. It also came up at the IBM closed
session at SHARE. I confess I did not fully understand it before and I
promised I would write a follow-up on IBM-MAIN.

Yes, IBM-MAIN is wonderful but it has some shortcomings, such as topic
drift, repeat questions, and a somewhat difficult search interface. It is
also not the way the Gen-Xers do things, and without Gen-Xers, the mainframe
is going to die.

I use https://stackoverflow.com/. I really like it. Check out the
programming questions there (NONE of them mainframe-specific).

The proposed mainframe Web-based discussion list is here:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/118484/mainframes

Given the different look and feel, I thought stackexchange was a
"competitor" or "clone" of stackoverflow and kind of wrote off the earlier
discussion here. But nay, it is the "parent" or something like that.
https://stackexchange.com/sites

Here is the deal. In order for the mainframe group to become real, they need
people to "commit" to it. Here is what commitment means: "I commit to
participate actively in Mainframes for at least three months, especially
during the private beta, and to ask or answer at least ten questions."

Your "commitment" carries much more weight if you have a reputation score of
200 or above on any other stackxxxxx site. You get points by answering
questions, especially if your answers are up-voted by others. I had not paid
much attention to that on stackoverflow so I have a score of only 103. I
have registered now on stackoverflow to be notified of mainframe questions
so hopefully I can answer some questions and improve my reputation score.

If you have a reputation score of more than 200 on any stackxxxxx site you
can really help by committing AND making sure you use the same userid on all
stackxxxxx sites so that the mainframe group is "aware" of your reputation.

I was unclear on all of this. Hope this helps. If this is old news to you,
please just hit delete.

But please consider committing to the mainframe site, for your benefit and
for the benefit of the platform.
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/118484/mainframes

2018-08-18 17:10:36 UTC
Minor correction: it was not in the IBM closed door on Sunday but rather in
the SHARE volunteer orientation meeting on Sunday.
https://www.share.org/p/do/sd/sid=15638&isnew=1&type=0 (You may need a SHARE
ID to view.)

Ed Jaffe
2018-08-18 17:42:46 UTC
Minor correction: it was not in the IBM closed door on Sunday but rather in
the SHARE volunteer orientation meeting on Sunday.
https://www.share.org/p/do/sd/sid=15638&isnew=1&type=0 (You may need a SHARE
ID to view.)
Also in the MVS Program Opening Monday morning at 10AM.
--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe

This e-mail message, including any attachments, appended messages and the
information contained therein, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient or have otherwise
received this email message in error, any use, dissemination, distribution,
review, storage or copying of this e-mail message and the information
contained therein is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended
of this email message and do not otherwise utilize or retain this email
message or any or all of the information contained therein. Although this
email message and any attachments or appended messages are believed to be
free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into
which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient
to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by the
sender for any loss or damage arising in any way from its opening or use.

Ed Jaffe

Steve Smith
2018-08-18 20:05:18 UTC
It is great to see interest in the StackExchange Mainframe site again. I
don't totally buy in to all the StackExchange rules & procedures*, but I
do grant that some smart people have thought about and tried quite a few
things to try and get it right.  That said, the current status of
"Mainframes" is something like limbo, where no technical activity is
happening (and so much opportunity lost).  This is the so-called
"commitment" stage, well-described by someone else.  I hate this stage.

But as soon as it qualifies (again, described well in other posts), we
can start using it, and some of us might even like it.

There are a couple of things to note though: 1. It isn't a discussion
group; StackExchange is Q&A site, for getting answers to questions, and
solutions to problems. While IBM-MAIN certainly does that now, the
infrastructure of S/E should help get better answers.  2. Anything that
doesn't meet S/E criteria could and should remain with IBM-MAIN, and
there's no law against some cross-over either.

Anyway, I second all the advice and encouragement to get on the
"committer" list.

sas

* Some "rules" are routinely and flagrantly ignored (particularly the
ban on answers in comments).
Matt Hogstrom
2018-08-18 17:18:44 UTC
A point of clarification on commitment. There are three levels a new group mush pass for a new group to be formed. Here is a breakdown on where we are at as of today:

267/200 committers in total 100%
40/100 committers with 200+ rep on any other site 40%
commitment score, based on committers' activity on all other sites and how old the commitment is 94%

The critical element is the middle one, committers with 200+ rep. I was very active advocating for the site and we successfully rallied other people that were interested (thus the 267 commitments as of today). Where the proposal falls short is in the people with rep. I was one of the enthusiastic but under repped folks. It took me about a month of participating on the site looking for ways to help This measure is intended to show a persons commitment to interacting, answering and asking questions and those activities generate reputation. Its not hard, but it requires more than simply registering and clicking a button.

I also support this site because this is where millennials come to ask questions and quite honestly its a place where Google can reach answers on the mainframe. In a real way, its an ability for us to share and archive our mainframe knowledge and expertise.

I will offer a bit of advise. Pick a venue. Stackoverflow is primarily for programming questions (on all platforms including Z). Superuser.com <http://superuser.com/> is for system administration issues like how do I configure this, change this, implement APF, etc. I actively participate in both forums and have earned 200+ rep in both (you only need one).

Also note, its 200+ rep in ANY community. So, if there is another area of interest for you invest your time there to build rep.

This is a great opportunity for us old timers to share, archive and seed the next generation with what we’ve learned because if we don’t share it, it stays in our heads and is eventually lost forever. This is a way to preserve the experience and knowledge.

Matt Hogstrom
***@hogstrom.org

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom
Clark Morris
2018-08-18 19:51:21 UTC
[Default] On 18 Aug 2018 09:27:50 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
Post by Charles Mills
[...]
I have never participated in any of the stack forums. I am a long
retired MVS systems programmer and COBOL application programmer
analyst. Which slack forums should I join? Until I get a stack
reputation is my presence worthwhile for supporting the mainframe?

Clark Morris
Ed Jaffe
2018-08-18 19:58:10 UTC
Post by Clark Morris
I have never participated in any of the stack forums. I am a long
retired MVS systems programmer and COBOL application programmer
analyst. Which slack forums should I join? Until I get a stack
reputation is my presence worthwhile for supporting the mainframe?
Stack overflow looks to be the "catch all" for programmers. That's the
one I registered for...

Steve Smith
2018-08-18 20:12:07 UTC
All depends on what you like.  At the risk of exposing myself too much,
I'm on SuperUser, Aviation, Travel, and English Language & Usage
(although that one mainly just makes me mad).

There are various languages, new ones for LEGO, Chess, and Poker... ad
infinitum.  StackOverflow is the granddaddy of them all; it was kicked
off by Joel Spolsky & partner a few years ago.  If you don't know who
Joel is, you should.  He's the smartest guy in computing since Fred Brooks.

sas
Post by Ed Jaffe
I have never participated in any of the stack forums.  I am a long
retired MVS systems programmer and COBOL application programmer
analyst.  Which slack forums should I join?  Until I get a stack
reputation is my presence worthwhile for supporting the mainframe?
Stack overflow looks to be the "catch all" for programmers. That's the
one I registered for...
programming questions there (NONE of them mainframe-specific).
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/118484/mainframes
Would this partition the archives inconveniently This week I searched
successfully for a 15-year old article in MVS-OE. Would I lose this
capability?

2018-08-19 15:26:46 UTC
"The archives" are partitioned inconveniently now. MVS-OE is an example all by itself. How is a z/OS UNIX ("MVS-OE") problem different from a mainframe ("IBM-MAIN") problem? And aren't the IBM-MAIN archives themselves partitioned into "old" and "new"?

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin

Edward Finnell
2018-08-19 18:18:33 UTC
I guess eventually we'll all be 'googlized' and tracked. The partitioning is by server locale. Harry Williams at Marist saw the need to separate Mainframe topics into more specialized lists early on. He fired up MVS-OE then DOMino and a few others.(He's now SHARE pres). Other sites host topics they hold 'near and dear'-RACF, DB/2, IMS, CICS.

Darren recommend splitting ibm-main into old and new for performance reasons. The old archives are from Jun 86(start date) to 2003 and require a separate sign-up. The working ibm-main is from 2004 forward.

2018-08-19 18:44:46 UTC
MVS-OE is more targeted than IBM-MAIN. A z/OS Unix question could legitimately be posted in either. You may find some SMEs that read only the specialized groups.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin

2018-08-21 15:29:58 UTC
MVS-OE ha a more restricted scope than IBM-MAIN. You might have a better chance of your message being seen by a SME if you post it to a more specific list. On the flip side, you get more eyeballs on a list of broader scope. They are both useful.

The same applies to other topics: ISPF, JES2, RACF, REXX and TSO are all relevant in IBM-MAIN,

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin

2018-08-19 18:23:01 UTC
Non-technical clarification. On Friday Harry became SHARE's Immediate Past President. Pres is now Justin Bastin. Long live the Pres!

2018-08-21 16:37:54 UTC
Post by Seymour J Metz
MVS-OE ha a more restricted scope than IBM-MAIN. You might have a better chance of your message being seen by a SME if you post it to a more specific list. On the flip side, you get more eyeballs on a list of broader scope. They are both useful.
So, cross-post to both?