CICS 5.3 and transaction isolation questions
Pommier, Rex
2018-01-10 15:16:25 UTC
<cross posted to the CICS-L list as well>

Hello list,

2 questions on how transaction isolation affects a CICS region.

The first is this: I’ve been asked a question about transaction isolation and I haven’t found any good answers on my own so I thought I’d ask the collective wisdom of the group. We have not historically used transaction isolation but I have been requested to activate it for several of our test and development regions. The question that was posed to me was “What abend codes should we be looking for that would indicate the abend came from a transaction isolation trap?” IOW, if a program attempts to write into another program’s storage, w/o TI, it could do so, and eventually the other program could/would fail due to something being overlaid. Supposedly TI will eliminate (or at least alleviate) this problem. Instead, with TI active, the originating program should abend. What kind of abends should I expect in this situation? ASRA? Something else? Or is it random?

Second question: I know of the limitation of TI and NSR buffering and have experienced the AFDK abend that occurs when you try to mix these environments. Are there any other “got’cha’s”? for implementing TI? One of my coworkers thought there was something about between autoinstall and TI.

Thanks,

Rex

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Pommier, Rex
2018-01-10 20:11:22 UTC
Got my answer from the CICS list.

2018-01-13 07:10:07 UTC
Post by Pommier, Rex
Got my answer from the CICS list.
I'm not subscribed to the CICS list, yet the answer interests me (and maybe others on this list). Do you mind posting it here so it will be in the archive?

Pommier, Rex
2018-01-15 15:38:32 UTC
Peter,

Here's the answer I got back from Ian Mitchell on the CICS list.

<quote>
Rex - it's a protection exception - see https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.4.0/troubleshooting/cics/dfhs10r.html
</quote>

Bottom line is you get an ASRA abend.