EDIT Macro
Steely.Mark
2018-10-08 22:16:30 UTC
I have a JCL Check product that uses an EDIT Macro to check the JCL. This EDIT Macro has been copied under different member names through the years. The customers uses whatever process was provided when hired.

The question is can I call another edit macro within another edit macro.

Ex. JJ1 JJ2 JJ3 are all exactly the same.
How can I leave JJ1 alone and have JJ2 & JJ3 call JJ1.

The manuals were not very informative.

I tried EXEC 'aaa.aaa.aaa(JJ1)' Cant exec an edit macro that way.

I really don't want to use PDS ALIAS technique.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

*** Disclaimer ***
This communication (including all attachments) is solely for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and is a confidential AAA communication. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, distribution, printing, or copying is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please immediately delete it and notify the sender.

2018-10-08 22:40:48 UTC
A more simple solution is to create an ALIAS for the main entry

JJ
Then create an ALIAS JJ1, JJ2, JJ3 all pointing to JJ

Steely.Mark
Steely.Mark
2018-10-08 22:43:44 UTC
I really don't want to do that but may be the only option.

2018-10-08 23:13:26 UTC
Post by Steely.Mark
I have a JCL Check product that uses an EDIT Macro to check the JCL. This EDIT Macro has been copied under different member names through the years. The customers uses whatever process was provided when hired.
What language? Assembler, PL/I, CLIST, Rexx, other (specify)?
Post by Steely.Mark
The question is can I call another edit macro within another edit macro.
Ex. JJ1 JJ2 JJ3 are all exactly the same.
How can I leave JJ1 alone and have JJ2 & JJ3 call JJ1.
The manuals were not very informative.
I tried EXEC 'aaa.aaa.aaa(JJ1)' Cant exec an edit macro that way.
If Rexx, you can use CALL or a function reference, but JJ1 must use
PARSE ARG X rather than ADDRESS XEDIT MACRO (X).
Post by Steely.Mark
I really don't want to use PDS ALIAS technique.
You will need either to change JJ1 to use PARSE or use aliases. I have written
eclectic code that tries MACRO, then falls back to PARSE on failure.

Hmmm. If JJ2 and JJ3 address no EDIT commands before CALL JJ1, the
MACRO command may work as desired.

w***@gmail.com
2018-10-09 09:19:46 UTC
Calling an edit macro from another (which is how I understand the question), REXX sample:

/* ISPF edit macro rexx */
Address Isredit "MACRO NOPROCESS"
Address Isredit "em2 'XYZ'" /* call 2nd macro EM2 with parameter */