MF Application source control?
Jousma, David
2018-05-04 11:53:20 UTC
All,

I've seen occasional comments here regarding z/OS GIT, DEVOPS, etc. Just wondering if anyone has taken the plunge for mainframe source code management that is similar to open systems? I'm talking about using iDZ as the IDE, GIT, GIThub, Jenkins, Urban Code Deploy, etc? Our open systems folks are already headed down this path, although not all the pieces are in place yet, and it seems like a logical next step that MF ought to be on this ship as well.

Just looking for someone that's already there, or working on getting there, that may be willing to share some back-and-forth sharing of experiences offline? The topic has my interest, but is a really large departure from what used to be typical mainframe application management. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a lot of this.

Thanks, Dave

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.
It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error,
please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information
is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the
message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Rob Scott
2018-05-04 12:00:00 UTC
Dave,

Rocket Software offer an open source GIT port for z/OS - see http://www.rocketsoftware.com/zos-open-source/tools.

I use it and I like it.

Rob

[...]

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

Jousma, David

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN ================================ Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323 Contact Customer Support: https://my.rocketsoftware.com/RocketCommunity/RCEmailSupport
Privacy Policy - http://www.rocketsoftware.com/company/legal/privacy-policy
================================

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

Rob Scott
2018-05-04 12:59:37 UTC
Dave

As someone who is a complete dinosaur and used to source control systems like SCLM, it took a bit of getting used to for me.

I found that once I abandoned PDS datasets and used z/OS unix file systems on z/OS to store the source I was working on, all things began to fall into place.

For build processes that need PDS input/output, OPUTX/OGETX are your friends.

Rob.

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

Dave,

Rocket Software offer an open source GIT port for z/OS - see https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rocketsoftware.com%2Fzos-open-source%2Ftools&data=02%7C01%7CRScott%40ROCKETSOFTWARE.COM%7Cee18e18d7db54bd6994508d5b1ba2577%7C79544c1eed224879a082b67a9a672aae%7C0%7C0%7C636610335433485805&sdata=VFYZZoVSNqeJoXz8FGh1850K4JBCsDo0NcPFk26AN2A%3D&reserved=0.

I use it and I like it.

Rob

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN ================================ Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323 Contact Customer Support: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmy.rocketsoftware.com%2FRocketCommunity%2FRCEmailSupport&data=02%7C01%7CRScott%40ROCKETSOFTWARE.COM%7Cee18e18d7db54bd6994508d5b1ba2577%7C79544c1eed224879a082b67a9a672aae%7C0%7C0%7C636610335433485805&sdata=WFXIZMjWtliTkf9qR0YwVize5vLJeB6wnLzHp%2FasVac%3D&reserved=0
Unsubscribe from Marketing Messages/Manage Your Subscription Preferences - https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rocketsoftware.com%2Fmanage-your-email-preferences&data=02%7C01%7CRScott%40ROCKETSOFTWARE.COM%7Cee18e18d7db54bd6994508d5b1ba2577%7C79544c1eed224879a082b67a9a672aae%7C0%7C0%7C636610335433485805&sdata=Etb058fa%2F0C3JW955dFPCQjE4vRPz7C4xgw4AvyRPTw%3D&reserved=0
Privacy Policy - https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rocketsoftware.com%2Fcompany%2Flegal%2Fprivacy-policy&data=02%7C01%7CRScott%40ROCKETSOFTWARE.COM%7Cee18e18d7db54bd6994508d5b1ba2577%7C79544c1eed224879a082b67a9a672aae%7C0%7C0%7C636610335433485805&sdata=1ZdElE5OAH9%2B4fiun%2B6TGPe%2Bd9DAMgfhvbhbYczS1q0%3D&reserved=0
================================

Pew, Curtis G
2018-05-04 12:27:04 UTC
Post by Rob Scott
Rocket Software offer an open source GIT port for z/OS - see http://www.rocketsoftware.com/zos-open-source/tools.
I use it and I like it.
Me too. I develop on both z/OS and Unix and my workflow is very similar. (I don’t much care for IDEs, though. I do my editing in emacs or vi.)
--
Pew, Curtis G
***@austin.utexas.edu

Edgington, Jerry
2018-05-04 12:05:02 UTC
Dave,

I have working on this very topic for the past year or two. I have giving presentations to IBM zCouncil and there was a presentation on the last SHARE conference in Sacramento. And I will be giving a SHARE Live! Presentation in St. Louis in August.

Here are the tools that I have been working with. I have built a proof of technology for some of them

POT - Eclipse IDE, using IBM Aqua, Compuware Topaz Workbench, Git, Jenkins, Groovy, Java, z/OS Connect EE version 1 and CICS v5.2
On the List - SonarQube, SonarLint, IBM's DBB and UrbanCopy Deploy. I have worked with IBM's DBB during the alpha and beta trials.
Future - JIRA, Confluence and various other open source tools

To proof out the POT, we were able to develop a RESTFul service for CICS

However, I have since changed jobs, so I had to start over at my new company. But, they have purchased IBM's ADDI, and the Analyze client is included with IBM Aqua Plugin.

Jerry Edgington

Jerry Callen
2018-05-04 20:36:27 UTC
On Fri, 4 May 2018 13:00:55 +0000, Rob Scott <***@ROCKETSOFTWARE.COM> wrote:

Dave

As someone who is a complete dinosaur and used to source control
systems like SCLM, it took a bit of getting used to for me.

I found that once I abandoned PDS datasets and used z/OS unix
file systems on z/OS to store the source I was working on, all
things began to fall into place.

For build processes that need PDS input/output, OPUTX/OGETX are
your friends.

Rob.

[Disclaimer: I work at Rocket Software, and have interacted
a fair amount with Rob.]

Rob, if you're a dinosaur, the species must be "velociraptor". :-)

I'm in the Open Source Tools group at Rocket; our goal is to make
the z/OS Unix environment as tool-rich and developer-friendly as
other Unix platforms.

We (the Open Source Tools group) store all of our code in git, using
the Rocket z/OS git port on one side and either BitBucket (internal)
or GitHub (external) on the other. The .gitattributes support we
added to git helps ease the EBCDIC/ASCII impedance mismatch. As Rob
knows, there are still some twitchy spots (ISPF panels can present
problems).

I do nearly all of my work in emacs (shell buffers are a wonderful
thing...), with very ocassional visits to TSO/ISPF and batchland (I
*really* want to be able to run SMP from a shell script; I'll get
there eventually...). While I understand the appeal of tools like
IDz, I personally prefer the somewhat looser integration of emacs,
and use a fair number of browser-based tools for collaboration
(Jira, the Confluence wiki, BitBucket/GitHub). I guess that makes
me the Unix equivalent of a dinosaur...

-- Jerry

2018-05-05 01:54:53 UTC
Post by Rob Scott
Dave
As someone who is a complete dinosaur and used to source control
systems like SCLM, it took a bit of getting used to for me.
I found that once I abandoned PDS datasets and used z/OS unix
file systems on z/OS to store the source I was working on, all
things began to fall into place.
For build processes that need PDS input/output, OPUTX/OGETX are
your friends.
Rob.
[Disclaimer: I work at Rocket Software, and have interacted
a fair amount with Rob.]
Rob, if you're a dinosaur, the species must be "velociraptor". :-)
​Hum, they really got "good press" from Jurassic Park. In reality, they
were small, vicious, fast, and stupid. I love how one YouT​uber's described
their IQ: "About as smart as a board with a nail in it."
--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.