ISPF programming with assembler
Immo
2018-06-08 14:35:44 UTC
Hi,

I'd like to retrieve the unique row-id for an entry in an ISPF table from an
assembler program (not the crp!). Unfortunately I didn't find out how to get
hold of the value on my own and so far I haven't found a usable example.

Any hint or pointer to a working example in assembler language would be
great!

Thanks in advance,

Michael

2018-06-08 15:37:46 UTC
From z/OS ISPF Services Guide Version 2 Release 3, SC19-3626-30, <https://www-304.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zOSV2R3sc193626/$file/f54sg00_v2r3.pdf>, TBGET:

rowid-name
Specifies the name of a variable in which a number that uniquely identifies the
row being accessed is to be stored. Later, this identifier can be specified in the
ROW parameter of TBSKIP to cause the CRP to be positioned to the row. This
identifier is not saved on permanent storage by TBSAVE or TBCLOSE. The
variable must be an 8-byte character field.

Binyamin Dissen
2018-06-08 15:39:24 UTC
On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 16:35:22 +0200 Immo <***@MIKNO.DE> wrote:

:>I'd like to retrieve the unique row-id for an entry in an ISPF table from an
:>assembler program (not the crp!). Unfortunately I didn't find out how to get
:>hold of the value on my own and so far I haven't found a usable example.

:>Any hint or pointer to a working example in assembler language would be
:>great!

Not sure of what you want, but one would think that TBSKIP NUMBER(0) or
TBQUERY would get you what you want.

Show how you would do this is REXX or some other language.

--
Binyamin Dissen <***@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Carmen Vitullo
2018-06-08 15:44:26 UTC
I have an assembler routine called by a COBOL program that uses ISPF table services to get the current pointer and data on a table, that alone I don't think would help you.

Carmen Vitullo

Immo
2018-06-11 14:17:59 UTC
Hi,

thank you for all the hints. I finally found out how to get hold of the
unique row-id by myself. What I missed was to correctly VDEFINE the variable
used to transfer this unique row-id.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Michael

to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Beverly Caldwell
2018-06-11 23:10:21 UTC
Well, it's a variable which you will have to define like any other variable
in your program. Once you do that it can be accessed and read. I don't
recall its actual name. Check the table display service section in the
developers guide.
2018-06-12 17:29:56 UTC
There is no "actual name"; you tell ISPF what name to use.

Edward Finnell
2018-06-12 17:56:56 UTC
ISTR there was an Airline Reservation sample for ISPF. It came in various flavors ALC, Rexx and maybe COBOL. Course my search engine points me to the 2.1 KC. What a Hertzberg hickey this is.

Let's see what listserv does to this:
Documentation for z/OS V2.1.0 is no longer available in IBM Knowledge Center.
While the product version and release remains in service, you can find information in the following formats:
Individual PDFs for downloading: https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosv2r1-pdf-download?OpenDocumentz/OS V2R1 Adobe Indexed Collection (all PDFs with full text search via the free Adobe Acrobat Reader): http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/zoslib/pdf/zosv2r1pdfcollection.zipIBM Knowledge Center plugins for downloading (for use with IBM Knowledge Center for z/OS): http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/zoslib/SSLTBW_2.1.0_4KC.jar.
For information about current releases of this product see http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW/welcome.
More information and resources are available at the IBM z/OS Internet Library: https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosinternetlibrary?opendocument.

Don Poitras
2018-06-12 19:17:35 UTC
I think you're thinking of the TELBOOK sample. Here's the SAS/C
version of that:

http://ftp.sas.com/techsup/download/SASC/sample/c/TELBOOK.html
Post by Edward Finnell
ISTR there was an Airline Reservation sample for ISPF. It came in various flavors ALC, Rexx and maybe COBOL. Course my search engine points me to the 2.1 KC. What a Hertzberg hickey this is.
??
[...]
Don Poitras - SAS Development - SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
***@sas.com (919) 531-5637 Cary, NC 27513

Edward Finnell
2018-06-12 20:23:19 UTC
Yeah, that's it. Thanks. There was also an ISPCALL Macro on CBTape.org I think from John Hancock. Mike Loos refined it and think it's on Deluxe Check mods. I gave a fifteen minute debriefing on SHARE trip. Six weeks later the Item Processing folks wanted me to come bless their new interface to the check sorters. All assembler with heavy use of ISPCALL. We added a special section to the TPNS scripts to test these modules.

Mike Shaw
2018-06-12 22:21:53 UTC
Post by Edward Finnell
Yeah, that's it. Thanks. There was also an ISPCALL Macro on CBTape.org I think from John Hancock. Mike Loos refined it and think it's on Deluxe Check mods. I gave a fifteen minute debriefing on SHARE trip. Six weeks later the Item Processing folks wanted me to come bless their new interface to the check sorters. All assembler with heavy use of ISPCALL. We added a special section to the TPNS scripts to test these modules.
We have been using the ISPCALL macro in our Assembler ISPF applications
for years; it has saved us a lot of time.

Mike Shaw
MVS/QuickRef Support Group
Chicago-Soft, Ltd.