catalog doubt
johnnydeep san
2017-12-30 01:12:19 UTC
Hi all,

i have XYZ dataset's (vsam and non-vsam) files on SYSA under usercatlog
"SYSA.ADCDCAT.TEST" . I would like to use all XYZ datasets on SYSB.

I ran import connect job on SYSB after sharing the same volume's where XYZ
are resides.But i could not fetch the datasets on new system directly , it
shows "NO data set names found" . I can fetch it only by giving volume
serial along with datasetname on 3.4 . Did i'm miss any anything ?. I have
create alias user01 for SYSA.ADCDCAT.TEST on sysa. should i create the same
alias again on sysB as well? . please guide me ,i'm new to mainframe
environment .

Note: I'm uisng RDZ not real mainframe box .

2017-12-30 01:24:45 UTC
You must use DEFINE ALIAS for every mainframe master catalog you want
to use it from.

2017-12-30 03:09:32 UTC
Johnny it looks like you asked similar questions back in Nov.

We need to understand your configuration better in order to help.

1) Is the Master cat different between the systems you are working with/

2) is the HLQ in a usercat? If yes, then answer the following 4 questions

3) Is the user cat available to both systems?

4) What libraries are in the Usercat?

5) Any PDS/E datasets that are in the usercat? PDS/E cannot be share across SYSPLEX environments

6) Are SYSA and SYSB in a sysplex? Or are they monoplexes?

Behalf Of johnnydeep san
Beverly Caldwell
2018-01-01 19:07:53 UTC
Well, for someone who is new to the mainframe you certainly chose a deep
pool to jump into. Messing with catalogs is always fun. There's a great
vendor product available which will allow you to do almost anything with
foreign catalogs, I can't just remember its name but I'm sure someone else
will help you out.

Now if you really like banging your head against a brick wall, try dealing
with datasets which are SMS managed on one LPAR but are not cataloged to
the LPAR you are on. If you want to access those you really will have fun
and you'll be wondering why on earth you got into this mainframe cr/\p in
the first place.
johnnydeep san
Kirk Wolf
2018-01-02 17:12:42 UTC
Post by Beverly Caldwell
..
Now if you really like banging your head against a brick wall, try dealing
with datasets which are SMS managed on one LPAR but are not cataloged to
the LPAR you are on. If you want to access those you really will have fun
and you'll be wondering why on earth you got into this mainframe cr/\p in
the first place.
You are exactly right, Beverly! I had to deal with this recently and it
was a major PITA. Its like IBM never considered all of the real-world use
cases.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com
Beverly Caldwell
2018-01-05 21:26:34 UTC
What is a catalog?. It's a list of files and where they can be found. What
is SMS management? It's basically an aid to allocation. Simple right? NO
We're IBM and nothing is allowed to be that simple.
Post by Beverly Caldwell
..
Ron hawkins
2018-01-06 02:46:05 UTC
Kirk,

Auribus teneo lupum.

Sharing SMS managed outside of SMS is on the cardinal sins of SMS.

It is more than just aid to allocation, but also an enabler of function. If your LPAR doesn't read the NVR, then your open is dead in the water, right?

Ron

Beverly Caldwell
2018-01-06 17:41:12 UTC
OK OK OK Take a joke can you? Or is that not allowed on this board? I was
being somewhat facetious. I was referring to IBM's tendency to surround
everything they do with some sort of mystical complexity.
Blake, Daniel J [CTR]
2018-01-06 20:46:44 UTC
Ya know, I almost replied but read the whole post and realized it was a tongue in cheek statement.

;-D an