how to calculate previous day using REXX
saurabh khandelwal
2018-08-02 08:38:49 UTC
Hello Group,

In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we have
any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.

currently, we used

TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1

this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date

ex :

TODAY - '20180801'

then yesterday will be calculated like

TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be
YESTERDAY = '20180800' , which is wrong.

Can you please help to overcome this issue.

ITschak Mugzach
2018-08-02 08:44:05 UTC
Try this logic:

- Get the Julian date of today (YYXXX)
- Deduct 1 from Julian date (xxx)
- Last 3 digits zero? (xxx)
- Deduct one from first two chars (year) (YY)
- Decide the Julian date (365 or 366 based on year/4) (xxx)

ITschak

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 10:38 AM saurabh khandelwal <
Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we have
any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.
currently, we used
TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1
this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date
TODAY - '20180801'
then yesterday will be calculated like
TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be
YESTERDAY = '20180800' , which is wrong.
Can you please help to overcome this issue.
ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring
for Legacy **| *

saurabh khandelwal
2018-08-02 08:56:41 UTC
Thanks for reply. But in our rexx automation, we basically need all three
Year , month and date. So, not sure, if I can achieve it from the logic you
suggested before.
Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we have
any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.
currently, we used
TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1
this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date
TODAY - '20180801'
then yesterday will be calculated like
TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be
YESTERDAY = '20180800' , which is wrong.
Can you please help to overcome this issue.
ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring
for Legacy **| *
Thanks & Regards
Saurabh Khandelwal

ITschak Mugzach
2018-08-02 08:58:59 UTC
Yes, I forgot to mention last step: covert Julian date to the date format
you use.

ITschak

Styles, Andy , ITS zPlatform Services
2018-08-02 08:57:03 UTC
Classification: Public
say date('S', date('B') - 1 ,'B')

Andy Styles
z/Series System Programmer

-- This email has reached the Bank via an external source --

Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we have
any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.
currently, we used
TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1
this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date
TODAY - '20180801'
then yesterday will be calculated like
TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be
YESTERDAY = '20180800' , which is wrong.
Can you please help to overcome this issue.
ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring
for Legacy **| *

Lloyds Banking Group plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC95000. Telephone: 0131 225 4555.

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 2065. Telephone 0207626 1500.

Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Telephone: 03457 801 801.

Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 10399850.

Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.

Halifax is a division of Bank of Scotland plc.

HBOS plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC218813.

This e-mail (including any attachments) is private and confidential and may contain privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete it (including any attachments) immediately. You must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it or any attachments. Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.

saurabh khandelwal
2018-08-02 10:13:32 UTC
Thank you so much.. this worked for us

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Styles, Andy (ITS zPlatform Services) <
Post by Styles, Andy , ITS zPlatform Services
Classification: Public
say date('S', date('B') - 1 ,'B')
Andy Styles
z/Series System Programmer
Brian Fraser
2018-08-02 09:04:29 UTC
If you use 'Base' then maths works without needing to worry about 0 or
negatives.
/* REXX */

TODAY = DATE('BASE')

YESTERDAY = TODAY-1

DAYB4 = TODAY-2

ISODATE = DATE('STANDARD',TODAY,'BASE')

SAY ISODATE

ISODATE = DATE('STANDARD',YESTERDAY,'BASE')

SAY ISODATE

ISODATE = DATE('STANDARD',DAYB4,'BASE')

SAY ISODATE

This gives me:
20180802
20180801

20180731
Burrell, Todd
2018-08-02 10:56:00 UTC
This code should work for you in any circumstance:

DATEB=DATE('B')
DATEB=DATEB-1
DATEX=DATE('N',DATEB,'B')
SAY DATEX

Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we
have any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.
currently, we used
TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1
this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date
TODAY - '20180801'
then yesterday will be calculated like
TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be
YESTERDAY = '20180800' , which is wrong.
Can you please help to overcome this issue.
ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|* *Information Security Contiguous Monitoring for Legacy **| *

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address. Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.

Steve Horein
2018-08-02 12:52:00 UTC
I know it boils down to preference or requirements, but something I have a
hard time grasping: why declare so many variables?
Don't I come up with the same result using this?

SAY DATE('N',DATE('B')-1,'B')

And understandably, the likely event is you'll want to reference the value
elsewhere, so why not cut to the chase:

DATEX = DATE('N',DATE('B')-1,'B')
Post by Burrell, Todd
DATEB=DATE('B')
DATEB=DATEB-1
DATEX=DATE('N',DATEB,'B')
SAY DATEX
Nims,Alva John , Al
2018-08-02 13:50:07 UTC
Please take this with ALL it's implied humor: "OMG! Do you normally program in APL?" :-)

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer III
UF Information Technology
East Campus
P.O. Box 112050
Gainesville, FL. 32611
(e) ***@ufl.edu
(p) (352) 273-1298

I know it boils down to preference or requirements, but something I have a hard time grasping: why declare so many variables?
Don't I come up with the same result using this?

SAY DATE('N',DATE('B')-1,'B')

And understandably, the likely event is you'll want to reference the value elsewhere, so why not cut to the chase:

DATEX = DATE('N',DATE('B')-1,'B')
Post by Burrell, Todd
DATEB=DATE('B')
DATEB=DATEB-1
DATEX=DATE('N',DATEB,'B')
SAY DATEX
Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we
have any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.
currently, we used
TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1
this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date
TODAY - '20180801'
then yesterday will be calculated like
TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be YESTERDAY = '20180800' ,
which is wrong.
Can you please help to overcome this issue.
-- For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,

2018-08-02 13:50:33 UTC
These were intended to be instructive answers to a question about date arithmetic, not examples of good Rexx coding style. Your points are of course correct.

Gadi Ben-Avi
2018-08-02 08:56:20 UTC
When I had to do date calculations in REXX, I used the information here http://www.rexxla.org/rexxlang/mfc/datec.html
DATE('B') returns todays date as a number of days from a date in the past. Subtract 1 from that and you get yesterday.
You can then use different formats of the DATE function to convert our result to a human readable format.

Gadi

In REXX , we have Date function to calculate today's date but do we have any separate function to calculate yesterday's date.

currently, we used

TODAY= DATE('S')
YESTERDAY = TODAY - 1

this code work whole month but, starting of the month where we have date

ex :

TODAY - '20180801'

then yesterday will be calculated like

TODAY -1 , So yesterday value will be
YESTERDAY = '20180800' , which is wrong.

Can you please help to overcome this issue.

הודעה זו נשלחה אליך מטעם חברה בקבוצת מלם תים וייתכן שהיא מוגנת תחת סודיות מסחרית. כל הצעה, התחייבות או מצג מטעם החברה, מחייבים מסמך נפרד וחתום על ידי מורשה החתימה של החברה. החברה רשאית לנטר כל תכתובת העוברת בשרתיה והיא לא תישא באחריות לכל נזק, ו/או אובדן, שיבוש או פגיעה במידע כלשהו שנגרם מסיבות של תקיפה חיצונית ו/או זדונית על הארגון.

2018-08-02 10:04:36 UTC
If you use 'Base' then maths works without needing to worry about 0 or negatives.
Indeed. And also no worries at all about Leap Year!

I use 'Base' to feed my SMF jobs the date of today+yesterday for dumping purposes.

Phil Smith III
2018-08-02 14:57:56 UTC
Post by Nims,Alva John , Al
Please take this with ALL it's implied humor: "OMG! Do you normally program in APL?" :-)
While appreciating the humor, I'd point out that nested function calls like that are entirely natural and accepted in Rexx. With good tracing options like

TRACE ?I

(Intermediates) debugging such statements is not at all difficult. With 35+ years of Rexx use, I find Brian's illustrated example painful to read. As an illustration it makes sense-not criticizing you, Brian!-but if I'd posted it, I might have included the compressed, single-statement version as an example of how you'd actually use it in real life.

.phsiii