Regarding the z/OS (MVS, MVT, MFT...?) SYSTEM TRACE
Dan Skwire
2018-08-10 15:53:35 UTC
Hi All,

I have a “trivia” question I honestly don’t know the answer to. I’ve been bothered by the question for quite a few years now.

WHEN was the “System Trace” FIRST added to the IBM mainframe operating system family? Did it start elsewhere, like in DOS (VSE)? My apologies to those who’ve run VSE on “mainframes”!

When and where is the question.

I go back to 1970, when I’m pretty sure it was in the University’s 360/50 MFT System....they switched to MVT while I was there...

How far back does it go?
I think that among commercial generally available operating systems, continuously running IBM System Trace is unique. And .. still
powerful. I thought a variant was RECENTLY added in AIX, which is still “IBM”...

Dan

Dan Skwire
author: "First Fault Software Problem Solving"
http://www.linkedin.com/in/danskwire
4800 Country Meadows Boulevard
Sarasota,FL 34235
h: 941-378-2383 c: 941-400-7632
***@mindspring.com

Sent from my iPhone

scott Ford
2018-08-10 17:39:10 UTC
I got back to DOS r34 without POWER
Post by Dan Skwire
[...]
IDMWORKS
z/OS Development

2018-08-10 21:42:05 UTC
Both System Trace and GTF started on OS/360. I believe that MT (really a console log) came in with SU64 for OS/VS2 3.8. As I recall, CT came in on OS/390.

http://secure-web.cisco.com/1iHoW6U9uxBuawGJv0CR8YTbmESWGX4FcQXTEigu-BtxbfWZP-C6DvGmg-hhE8GvYQ0iTm11pAfwfrxYQlfjQWkTAxNqi88toPCTyioVP-1p4rYTM82EkQxqarZDeU_HUOg3wQlC4KAsWZrq0pxQClu58BO8F0s0vHvkEVHP_w_oWwb8O7X4dMWtPdcCbVyVjhVCyX0jVJmWr9FwP1WCoZeyY_6JnY4iR6jE2mQH1z8qUKCLNpHWdNCdTciZJUC80Cn22BlWE7-7oIqixJXFbFgQsha05ftXyc4rQZVw9fY2h8lLCnOSw0FZ8VFzPjenVhp8Hmy-fuW6nw08z9x750Z1Rb0X6Q0J2OdLjfjfciqd9muFip9iRHLF6cgoja71e-FYB7aNH1mbV8Pq8QxHRpKSiJhVi0bb22ME6xlbATfeqHhtZIp6rxDbnx49HPetH/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Fdanskwire

s***@gmail.com
2018-08-23 00:31:15 UTC
Per Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVS PER support in SLIP command, which should have include Instruction Fetch (IF) and Successful Branch (SB) tracing, was made available in 1978.

Steve Emge