Z114 to z14 experience any ?
Jake Anderson
2018-07-11 04:07:42 UTC
Hi

Has anyone moved your z hardware from z114 to z14 ?

Any gotchas and how was your migration experience ?

We are at zOS 2.2 with z114.

Regards
Jake

ITschak Mugzach
2018-07-11 06:28:37 UTC
Have heard some clients complains about msu raised. This mean that you may
pay more than you used.

ITachak

בתאריך יום ד׳, 11 ביולי 2018, 6:07, מאת Jake Anderson ‏<
Jake Anderson
Tom Brennan
2018-07-11 08:15:29 UTC
Can I assume the target is a z14-ZR1 single-frame? I've yet to see one
installed, but hopefully I'll get to see one replace a z10BC next week.
A few hardware things I can think of are:

- Does your z114 use ESCON? A ZR1 would need converters if you have
older peripherals.
- FICON 16S cards can only negotiate down to 4G. If you have older 2G
peripherals, that could be an issue.
- Brocade Gen 4 switches are not supported for ZR1 and need to move to
at least Gen 5.
- ZR1 cannot use HCA coupling links, only the new ICA.
- Power for a ZR1 is single phase, basically meaning the old 3PH cords
on the z114 can't be reused.
Jake Anderson
Martin Packer
2018-07-11 08:30:01 UTC
I saw one the other day without its covers - in the Singapore factory.
Looked nice inside. :-) As did the z13 and the z14 "EC". :-)

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer

zChampion, Systems Investigator & Performance Troubleshooter, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: ***@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker

Blog:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker

Podcast Series (With Marna Walle): https://developer.ibm.com/tv/mpt/ or

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/mainframe-performance-topics/id1127943573?mt=2

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_65HaYgksbF6Q8SQ4oOvA

From: Tom Brennan <***@TOMBRENNANSOFTWARE.COM>
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date: 11/07/2018 09:15
Subject: Re: Z114 to z14 experience any ?
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Post by Jake Anderson
Hi
Has anyone moved your z hardware from z114 to z14 ?
Any gotchas and how was your migration experience ?
We are at zOS 2.2 with z114.
Regards
Jake

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Parwez Hamid
2018-07-11 08:50:28 UTC
Assuming you are migrating to a z14 ZR1, comparing to the z114, there are a number of things you should be aware of to do with size of the system, power requirements, features NOT supported etc etc. As I can't attach any docs to this reply, I suggest you speak to your BP or IBM person and ask them for the
IBM Z14 Model ZR1 Pre-install TDA Must Read MT 3907 document. This will be a good starting point.

Edward Finnell
2018-07-11 09:11:11 UTC
Aren't SAPRs done anymore? Semi-formal process review of hardware changes, software level sets, IO changes, environmentals to include POWER and BTU's and who's responsible.

Dana Mitchell
2018-07-11 12:06:31 UTC
We are currently on z114's and will probably migrate to z14 zr1's, and the coupling link situation is our biggest stumbling block. Since there is no common coupling link available between z114-z14, it will require us to move the entire plex at once, not rolling onto new hardware, one LPAR at a time as we have in the past.

Dana
Parwez Hamid
2018-07-11 13:04:40 UTC
The old SAPR process been 'replaced' by the TDA. The SAPR Guide is no longer produced. Its just the Must Read doc and actually covers most of the H/W and OS planning.

Jake Anderson
2018-07-11 14:05:28 UTC
We are not in sysplex so I hope it should not be a concern ?
R.S.
2018-07-11 14:27:03 UTC
Post by Jake Anderson
Hi
Has anyone moved your z hardware from z114 to z14 ?
Any gotchas and how was your migration experience ?
We are at zOS 2.2 with z114.
People gave you wise answers, however to complement it: check your PTFs.
z/OS 2.2 should be patched to recognize z14 hardware.
Look at Fixcat or PSP bucket.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Treść tej wiadomości może zawierać informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wyłącznie do użytku służbowego adresata. Odbiorcą może być jedynie jej adresat z wyłączeniem dostępu osób trzecich. Jeżeli nie jesteś adresatem niniejszej wiadomości lub pracownikiem upoważnionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, że jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne działanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i może być karalne. Jeżeli otrzymałeś tę wiadomość omyłkowo, prosimy niezwłocznie zawiadomić nadawcę wysyłając odpowiedź oraz trwale usunąć tę wiadomość włączając w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa, www.mBank.pl, e-mail: ***@mBank.plSąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2018 r. kapitał zakładowy mBanku S.A. (w całości wpłacony) wynosi 169.248.488 złotych.

Jake Anderson
2018-07-11 16:00:53 UTC
Absolutely we have looked into that aspect.. however wanted to know if
there was any known issues

Thanks again for all the great answer
R.S.
2018-07-12 08:36:39 UTC
Post by Jake Anderson
Absolutely we have looked into that aspect.. however wanted to know if
there was any known issues
Jake,
You plan to perform a jump from z114 to z14. That means z11->z14 with no
z12, z13.
Is it risky? No, I don't think so. For every hardware change there are
things to consider, your taks is just to sum those things, because you
want to do 3 steps in one. It is OK.
Of course you have to get rid of ESCON devices (or buy very expensive
converters), you have to review PSP bucket, and all *typical* things.

What is important, you have z/OS which is quite up to date, that's big
advantage.

BTW: You noted you are not in sysplex. That's important, because
parallel sysplex narrows what machine generations can be in the sysplex.

Timothy Sipples
2018-07-12 05:20:32 UTC
Post by Dana Mitchell
We are currently on z114's and will probably migrate to z14
zr1's, and the coupling link situation is our biggest stumbling
block. Since there is no common coupling link available between
z114-z14, it will require us to move the entire plex at once,
not rolling onto new hardware, one LPAR at a time as we have in
the past.
There is a possible workaround for that. It involves using a z13s machine
as a "bridge." It's basically the same process as migrating a Parallel
Sysplex to the z13s, followed by a migration to the z14 ZR1 -- two
back-to-back jumps. To do that you'd simply need a suitably configured z13s
machine on a temporary basis, and assuming you've got the correct
attachments and features on your z114. There's a cost involved since you
need the z13s machine inserted into the overall migration for a short
period of time, but it's available. IBM is still building z13s machines and
will for several more months, and the z114 to z13s MES is still available
-- that's one way to get your temporary z13s.

I have worked with shops that have taken this "double hop" approach, and it
works. It's not how you'd prefer to do things, but it can be done.

....Or you can take the "big jump" approach if a planned outage is
tolerable, and there are usually ways to mitigate the effects of that
planned outage and/or to make that service interruption very short for your
most critical services.
Post by Dana Mitchell
- FICON 16S cards can only negotiate down to 4G. If you have older 2G
peripherals, that could be an issue.
If this is an absolute showstopper then "talk to your friendly IBM
representative" about whether it'd make sense to MES to a z13s then upgrade
to a z14 ZR1. FICON8 adapters barely survive that double transition, from
what I recall. But there would be a cost to that longer path, so I really
don't recommend it unless you've absolutely got to live with the 2 Gb/s
equipment.
Post by Dana Mitchell
- Brocade Gen 4 switches are not supported for ZR1 and need to move to
at least Gen 5.
You can *ask* for a RPQ; no guarantees. As I understand it, the fundamental
problem is that the Generation 4 equipment is soon falling out of support
for everybody, and Brocade understandably doesn't want you to slam into an
unsupported configuration almost immediately after you migrate.
Post by Dana Mitchell
- Power for a ZR1 is single phase, basically meaning the old 3PH cords
on the z114 can't be reused.
Yes, also the IBF (Internal Battery Feature) is not available for the z14
ZR1, so you'll want to make sure you're properly protected and configured
in your data center power systems if you're currently relying on the IBF.

Another thing that comes to mind is that you probably ought to take this
opportunity to shift to the 1U rack mount Hardware Management Console (HMC)
and, if you have it, TKE Workstation. And, if you wish, you can combine
these 1U rack mount features with Feature Code #0617, the 16U Reserved
feature, which allows you to mount up to 16U worth of equipment (HMCs, TKE
Workstations, and other items) into the IBM z14 ZR1 frame itself. If you
order FC0617 just make sure you're OK with the amount of remaining
expansion capacity you have for I/O and other adapters, but it's one of my
favorite new features in the new machine. This is also a great time to
review and improve the security practices and deployment configuration for
your HMC.

The z14 ZR1 does not support ESA/390 IPLs, so please check your inventory
of IPL'able items such as DFSMS recovery utilities, z/VM installation DVDs,
ZZSA, and old Linux distributions, as applicable, to make sure they're
modern enough. There's one available workaround for z/VSE 4.x: running
z/VSE 4.x under z/VM. And it's an unsupported but "as-is/known to work"
workaround. Otherwise, you've got to be "64-bit clean" from IPL. You don't
want to find yourself in a DR situation and unable to IPL some critical
tool associated with the recovery process.

Interrogate your IBM person to see if there are any free or nearly free
feature codes that look interesting, and grab them. For example, if you're
still missing the feature code for CPACF, and if it's orderable in your
country, grab it. (Why not?)

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

John Eells
2018-07-12 12:11:02 UTC
Timothy Sipples wrote:
<snip>
Post by Timothy Sipples
The z14 ZR1 does not support ESA/390 IPLs, so please check your inventory
of IPL'able items such as DFSMS recovery utilities, z/VM installation DVDs,
ZZSA, and old Linux distributions, as applicable, to make sure they're
modern enough. There's one available workaround for z/VSE 4.x: running
z/VSE 4.x under z/VM. And it's an unsupported but "as-is/known to work"
workaround. Otherwise, you've got to be "64-bit clean" from IPL. You don't
want to find yourself in a DR situation and unable to IPL some critical
tool associated with the recovery process.
<snip>

Timothy raises an important point here. From a z/OS point of view, use
the z14 FIXCATs to be sure all the PTFs are on. Then, there are the
four IPLable things to worry about when any of your systems (including
backup and DR systems) are upgraded to any model z14:

- z/OS itself
- Standalone Dump
- Standalone ICKDSF (easier to forget this one)
- Standalone DFSMSdss (likewise)

(All this is covered in the z/OS Migration book, of course.) If you
have fallen back and cannot meet the driving system requirements for
z/OS installation, and order a Customized Offerings Driver, its level of
z/OS does have the needed support for the z14 models.

I believe z/VM's list is similar:

- z/VM
- z/VM Standalone Dump
- Standalone DDR
- ICKDSF (yup, the same one)
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

Timothy Sipples
2018-07-12 06:37:37 UTC
RLS require Parallel Sysplex, but not everyone need it.
We should be more precise and careful, to avoid any misunderstandings. VSAM
RLS requires:

* At least one z/OS instance (let's go with exactly one in this example);
* A Coupling Facility (CF)(*), which can even be on the same physical
machine.

And that's it! You do NOT *need* two z/OS LPARs to support VSAM RLS (and
Transactional VSAM). You need two basic ingredients: z/OS (one works) and a
Coupling Facility (one works). For Transactional VSAM you also need the
z/OS DFSMStvs software license.

This IBM redbook ("VSAM Demystified") illustrates VSAM RLS in a z/OS
Monoplex in Section 5.1.4:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246105.pdf

Possible formal definitions aside, most people interpret "Parallel Sysplex"
as including two or more z/OS instances, at least in normal operations. But
no, even during normal operations you only *need* one suitably configured
z/OS instance for VSAM RLS and Transactional VSAM, to be clear. There might
be other reasons to have more than one z/OS instance, but you don't need a
second z/OS instance to run these two highly useful VSAM technologies.

In this example, you, your colleagues, and management might decide,
perfectly sensibly and rationally, that a particular set of CICS
applications (let's suppose) and the services they provide are well suited
to a z/OS Monoplex. You've agreed that they can tolerate the planned
outages required for such tasks as z/OS release upgrades in that LPAR
(perhaps scheduled in conjunction with a DR rehearsal), that the unplanned
outage characteristics (which are still quite excellent, as long as the
site is available) are good enough to meet the business requirements, and
that VSAM RLS and Transactional VSAM technologies are required to make sure
that the applications are providing excellent concurrent online and batch
services, to avoid planned online outages to run batch jobs. If these
parameters meet your needs, great, you're all set. There's a wonderful,
value-packed configuration for you called a z/OS Monoplex with VSAM RLS and
Transactional VSAM. If you change your mind, and management wants a
different service level, no problem! Gracefully shift to a Parallel Sysplex
with two z/OS LPARs on one machine, as one example. Or to any of the many
other configuration options available, as/when they make sense to deliver
on particular end-to-end business service needs.
The white paper clearly describes some structures as demanding
duplexing or third CPC with failure-isolated CF.
Yes, but David Raften is only describing the technical attributes there.
He's not necessarily describing business service outcomes, which require
more analysis. A particular technical result may or may not matter in terms
of delivering on particular end-to-end business service goals. "It
depends."

(*) Which is not quite the same as saying you need a CF *engine*. The CFCC
can run on a general purpose engine, and occasionally that makes sense.

R.S.
2018-07-12 08:24:52 UTC
To avoid misunderstandings: n*z/OS + m*CF = Parallel Syplex, and
n=1...32, m=1...16.
I don't know what "most people" interpret, and without some sociological
survey. My survey told me that no one of my family members, neighbours
or local shop seller do understand parallel sysplex as you described. ;-)

Back to technical issues - single z/OS connected to single CF *IS*
parallel sysplex. 5*z/OS + 2*CF is probably better configuration,
especially when the logical images (LPARs) are wisely spread across
several CPCs. Wisely means there no SPOFs, i.e. we should NOT place both
CFs on single CPC.

Regarding VSAM RLS - it is good and very useful for applications that
use VSAM. I migrated (to DB2 table) last VSAM file 10+ years ago and
really do not need RLS. Of course YMMV.

BTW: IMHO properly configured  and tuned single-image parallel sysplex
is ~70% of work for monoplex->parallel sysplex migration. Connecting
another z/OS images is (almost) just matter of HCD and repeating
configurations steps.  My €0.02

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka