COBOL Cowboys
2018-10-04 18:34:24 UTC
Why Westerns may ride back into town after sunset.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-banks-cobol-idUKKBN17C0DZ

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

Longabaugh, Robert E
2018-10-04 19:04:49 UTC
Big mistake in this article where they say IBM "makes the computers that run on COBOL". This should be "makes the computers that run COBOL programs". I can't find a place to comment or email the author.

Bob Longabaugh
CA Technologies
Storage Management

2018-10-04 19:11:44 UTC
On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 2:05 PM Longabaugh, Robert E <
Post by Longabaugh, Robert E
Big mistake in this article where they say IBM "makes the computers that
run on COBOL". This should be "makes the computers that run COBOL
programs". I can't find a place to comment or email the author.
Right! Everybody knows that computers run on B.S. (not Bachelor of
Science!). That's why I.T. management is so full of it.
Post by Longabaugh, Robert E
Bob Longabaugh
CA Technologies
Storage Management
--
People who frustrate us will be around for as long as we need them.

2018-10-04 19:12:29 UTC
Why Westerns may ride back into town after sunset.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa-banks-cobol-idUKKBN17C0DZ
The industry appears to be reaching an inflection point, though.
In the United States, banks are slowly shifting towards newer
languages taking cue from overseas rivals who have already
made the switch-over.
No. History repeats itself. When Java, Python, ... are replaced by yet
more stylish languages the problem will recur. But it won't matter to
you and me.

Perhaps by then AI will have advanced to where the programs will write
themselves. But will they be ethical? "Trusting Trust". "Paperclip Optimizer". ...

2018-10-04 19:49:56 UTC
WTF? That doesn't look like and S/360 I've ever seen. 7030?

Why Westerns may ride back into town after sunset.

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1K0vvSa96Cx69xdnbdpCC77e415-LO0Xuysz-y80MAiqegV0_K5NSzmfYnfnBmM46ymE_kANnak1w1THhx_2x-8_Kz2sDiI8y4H70av2RJFThvrtIXYYQu1vxWqbakdThicq_7DJugRRCxWWjWzJ0xETsY5VDwnhEmTVaMsiEZHGALiPFSkklcELK0VNO0mzKwKQtkcB4aBtuMuwrypVNyxbEUJfcAbaq3L2lqqsgTyp2ybQVuOYspSYW2Q7NsbooIrw2sNVHLWBj7OFrGQEA2ygQ2E37bdjoFJKBF34LjGL-98bkAWSDvwG2sfz0DNDnEv38PQHKbyLzF-3ayU9HdA0cBLSvCyDDZLn4aPMIGRBlDASGLZgjWHhHF76wheorSZj8t3mdV1JNt26S-3v17tYYkx07tnLzfprkC9bOGK3b3--N80dUn9gzlUxzqUDuW-334_n_bBSnv2VhBYbYKA/https%3A%2F%2Fuk.reuters.com%2Farticle%2Fuk-usa-banks-cobol-idUKKBN17C0DZ

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

Rugen, Len
2018-10-04 20:09:21 UTC
Yea, it looks like it's way too wide, but I think they made some odd "one off" or small batch 360's.

Rugen, Len
2018-10-04 20:11:22 UTC
Wow, a 360/91 Loading Image...

David L. Craig
2018-10-05 00:05:19 UTC
Post by Rugen, Len
Wow, a 360/91 https://images.techhive.com/images/idge/imported/article/itw/2014/04/04/ibm-360-600x450-100520215-orig.jpg
NASA Goddard had one in Building 1. I believe many IBM media
shots were taken there.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

William Donzelli
2018-10-04 20:17:53 UTC
The upper picture is a model 75.

--
Will
Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:34 PM
2018-10-04 21:30:05 UTC
How can they tell it's using COBOL from the photograph?

My wild guess is that it's in an IBM laboratory and if it is running at all, it's running diagnostics.

WTF? That doesn't look like and S/360 I've ever seen. 7030?
Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:34 PM

Pesce, Andy
2018-10-04 21:10:35 UTC
That article is just full of all the right buzzwords: "vintage programming language called COBOL",
"aging programming language known as COBOL" and of course my favorite "L E G A C Y S Y S T E M S"........

That reminds me of the IBM commercial, where there are all these newbies talking about having a globe on the screen that they can rotate,
and things fly across the screen.

Then you have a business guy that states: I need a customer to order a part, it needs to interface with my inventory, then ship it through logistics,
then take payment through my bank and run it through my GL showing it in my accounting system so I can see the P&L.

The newbies then look at each other and say, "We don't know how to do that!".......

Bernd Oppolzer
2018-10-04 21:45:28 UTC
Some weeks ago in a meeting a co-worker told us,
that in a neighbor team they have a problem with
some "legacy" software which they don't understand any more
and needs to be replaced. The software is written in Java
and is ONE YEAR OLD.

I mentioned that our legacy software is 25+ years old, and that
we understand it very well and do maintenance to it regularly
(when new ideas come up or the users have new requirements).
Our "legacy" software is written in PL/1 and runs on the mainframe :-)

Kind regards

Bernd

David Crayford
2018-10-05 04:40:06 UTC
Post by Pesce, Andy
That article is just full of all the right buzzwords: "vintage programming language called COBOL",
"aging programming language known as COBOL" and of course my favorite "L E G A C Y S Y S T E M S"........
I don't have a problem with the term "Legacy systems". That's basically
what mainframe runs and there's nothing wrong with that.

Let's not forget that a lot of software written for Windows is now 25
years old and is also legacy.

Matthew Stitt