z/OS 1.13 maintenance concern.
Steve Cross
2018-05-01 13:22:12 UTC
I have inherited a z/OS 1.13 system that has not had any maintenance applied since mid-2015 and I need to bring it up to date before upgrading to 2.2 (ordered ready for installation). All but one of the required toleration/fall-back ptfs have been applied. Is it safe just to order maintenance excluding superseded ptfs ? I was thinking of the size of the download and subsequent RECEIVE / APPLY.

2018-05-01 14:55:38 UTC
ObjES2 If they're packaged correctly.

Kurt Quackenbush
2018-05-02 12:36:48 UTC
Post by Steve Cross
I have inherited a z/OS 1.13 system that has not had any maintenance
applied since mid-2015 and I need to bring it up to date before
upgrading to 2.2 (ordered ready for installation). All but one of the
required toleration/fall-back ptfs have been applied. Is it safe just
to order maintenance excluding superseded ptfs ? I was thinking of
the size of the download and subsequent RECEIVE / APPLY.
Yup, it should be safe, if excluding superseded PTFs is even an option.
Being honest, I don't remember it that is still a choice on Shopz (as
you might imagine I only use SMP/E RECEIVE ORDER, which does not have
that option).

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development

John Eells
2018-05-02 12:54:59 UTC
Post by Steve Cross
I have inherited a z/OS 1.13 system that has not had any maintenance applied since mid-2015 and I need to bring it up to date before upgrading to 2.2 (ordered ready for installation). All but one of the required toleration/fall-back ptfs have been applied. Is it safe just to order maintenance excluding superseded ptfs ? I was thinking of the size of the download and subsequent RECEIVE / APPLY.
Whatever PTFs you get, the size of the order will in all probability
still be a *lot* smaller than a z/OS ServerPac order. Also, SMP/E won't
put on the superceded PTFs and then the superceding PTFs; it's very good
at figuring it all out and then putting on only what's needed in the
right order. Finally, if one or more superceding PTFs are PE with no
available resolving PTF, installing the superceded PTFs might prevent
problems you would otherwise experience.

I'm firmly in the camp of "APPLY SOURCEID(RSU*,PRP,HIPER,SECINT) GEXT
and let SMP/E sort 'em all out."
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie