Installation Exit routine environment (TCB vs. SRB)
2018-05-01 19:28:02 UTC
If, for a particular exit in MVS Installation Exits, the documentation is
silent on whether the exit might be invoked in SRB mode, is it safe to
assume TCB mode?

Rob Scott
2018-05-02 09:39:53 UTC
Although TCB mode is very likely, I would double-check with the software exit vendor.

I would not want to assume anything when writing system software exits, especially as most of them are entered in supervisor state and PSW key 0-7.

Rob

If, for a particular exit in MVS Installation Exits, the documentation is silent on whether the exit might be invoked in SRB mode, is it safe to assume TCB mode?

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

2018-05-02 13:34:25 UTC
The exit vendor is of course IBM.

Unless you mean me.

Dan D
2018-05-02 22:10:40 UTC
Which IBM exit is this Charles?

2018-05-02 22:27:11 UTC
CNZ_WTOMDBEXIT

2018-05-03 04:29:58 UTC
It is TCB mode only.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY
Date: 05/02/2018 11:28 PM
CNZ_WTOMDBEXIT
] On Behalf Of Dan D
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:12 PM
Which IBM exit is this Charles?
Dan D
2018-05-02 22:44:06 UTC
I agree with Rob, it's likely TCB mode but this looks like IBM need a DOC update.

2018-05-02 23:42:13 UTC
I agree. Some of the exits are documented as TCB only; some as SRB or TCB. Some are documented as Primary; some as Primary or AR. There is no generic statement "if not specified otherwise, TCB and Primary." I suspect all of the pre-whenever-ARs-came-along are Primary only. It would be nice to say that. When did SRBs come along? When dinosaurs roamed the earth?

2018-05-03 16:41:32 UTC
When did SRBs come along? When dinosaurs roamed the earth?
Yes, roughly. From the very beginnings of MVS, aka "OS/VS2 Release 2",
which IIRC went GA in 1972.

Tony H.

Peter Relson
2018-05-04 12:02:06 UTC
It appears that relatively few exits document their TCB vs SRB
requirements. They should.

While I wouldn't bet that it would get done quickly, a RCF asking for that
documentation for every exit in the installations exits book seems like a
good first step.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

2018-05-04 17:35:27 UTC