Knowledge Centre - (was Re: Rant)
2018-05-07 08:22:52 UTC
You're hired, Elardus! ;-)
Thanks for your nice compliment, I am humbled by your comments. Ok, but I am way too expensive - starting at $1 million per second, can you afford that? ;-D

Ok, seriously.
My own broken record statement is that we're constantly trying to improve how the Knowledge Center handles the extensive z/OS library of content. We always appreciate input, though.
That sounds great Susan, and I have the KC server running on an LPAR here, (2.2) and using Softcopy Librarian V5 to load the contents, so where are all the 'other' books I'd like to load, DB2, MQ, IMS...to name a few?
those KC books do not appear in any selection, .Boo or .PDF format for me to download. what am I missing?
They are there (on the internet) and these books on the KC were also discussed some time ago. Just that it can take some serious searching (even with Google) to locate them...

But, it would indeed be great if they (DB2, MQ, etc.) are also located on the KC Server on z/OS system.

To Susan, What about a really "big-mother-of-all" URL where all and every collections (hardware, software, operating systems, hot topics, redbooks, database systems, Linux, LookAt, etc.) are listed? That URL's domain name should stays permanently while the various addresses (domain and IP addresses) can change anytime.

I would appreciate it that there is one page where you go in and then do you jump to your favourite subject. Something like that Wikipedia portal 'Ongoing' [events].

That type of setup can then also be ported to z/OS where you have your own copy of KC.

Just my few [de-valuated] cents...

Susan Shumway
2018-05-08 14:55:58 UTC
Hi Elardus,

Wow, you're even more expensive than my babysitter! Never mind. ;-)

I completely agree that it would be nice if all products that run on
z/OS could provide content in the same downloadable format and that it's
all easy to find. In the meantime, I like your idea of a
""big-mother-of-all" URL" and will run it by our strategist. (Of course,
we have
https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosInternetLibrary
for z/OS, but that doesn't include the other products.) Consider opening
a requirement for it - that will help with participation from the other
products.

-Sue Shumway
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
[...]
Sue Shumway
z/OS Product Documentation Lead
IBM Poughkeepsie
***@us.ibm.com

Susan Shumway
2018-05-08 15:30:01 UTC
Hi Mike,

Good idea, but that index file only serves as a local ToC with links to
the PDFs that you've downloaded from
https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zOSV2R3Library
, which pretty much contains only z/OS elements and features. It's very
useful for what it does for z/OS, but it doesn't help for separate
products like DB2, IMS, etc.

-Sue Shumway

Carmen Vitullo
2018-05-08 15:37:35 UTC
Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for, z/OS Plus IMS, DB2, I know I have CICS, and CICS/FA loaded, but I'd like to have Omegamon, CDC (Infosphere).....to name a few.

Carmen Vitullo

van der Grijn, Bart , B
2018-05-09 12:00:21 UTC
So while we're on a rant/wishlist for kc4z, can I ask that the random behaviour of the left panel gets addressed?

Example:
Let's say I want to look in to MVS commands. I navigate the TOC panel on the left to select z/OS 2.3, then z/OS MVS, then z/OS MVS System Commands, and then MVS System Command Reference (yes, I know I can just search instead, but this is just an example). On the right contents panel I then click a link to take me to the MODIFY command. At that time my left panel resets and I lost the navigation I did to get to the section of the manual I want to be at. In my mind the left panel should either stay where it is or follow where the link takes me.

Bart

This email originated from outside of the organization.

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibm.com%2Fservers%2Fresourcelink%2Fsvc00100.nsf%2Fpages%2FzOSV2R3Library&data=02%7C01%7Cbvandergrijn%40DOW.COM%7C4d6fc308aa384c86d59208d5b4f9db5b%7Cc3e32f53cb7f4809968d1cc4ccc785fe%7C0%7C0%7C636613907583381095&sdata=uGN6RH%2Bf7tcy4QrPGkg502%2B3HgUwRVW40wARNJcckIs%3D&reserved=0

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww-304.ibm.com%2Fservers%2Fresourcelink%2Fsvc00100.nsf%2Fpages%2FzOSV2R3IndexFile&data=02%7C01%7Cbvandergrijn%40DOW.COM%7C4d6fc308aa384c86d59208d5b4f9db5b%7Cc3e32f53cb7f4809968d1cc4ccc785fe%7C0%7C0%7C636613907583381095&sdata=VdUXC7%2FEZheo7VUFvo8VBhAtD5qufLeDwvGqaK1%2F9sM%3D&reserved=0
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibm.com%2Fservers%2Fresourcelink%2Fsvc00100.nsf%2Fpages%2FzosInternetLibrary&data=02%7C01%7Cbvandergrijn%40DOW.COM%7C4d6fc308aa384c86d59208d5b4f9db5b%7Cc3e32f53cb7f4809968d1cc4ccc785fe%7C0%7C0%7C636613907583381095&sdata=YQaU%2F0L7wGPbQHOkI0wYpCHBK3cM5PoaCCNqXuNYolo%3D&reserved=0

Susan Shumway
2018-05-10 12:49:23 UTC
Hi Bart,

I followed your example on Firefox and wasn't able to recreate a reset
nav. First, I opened the nav and clicked the pushpin icon at the top
right corner to pin it open. I then clicked through the nav to the "MVS
system commands reference" topic and then clicked the "MODIFY command"
link near the bottom to bring me to that topic. The nav on the left
refreshed and did look like it reset - it didn't scroll properly to show
the "MODIFY command" topic in the branching. However, after I scrolled a
bit to find it, I saw that it was indeed highlighted as the active topic
and expanded.

The IBM KC product development team has been working to improve the nav,
so I'll pass your comment along to them as an example of the current
user concerns. Thanks!

-Sue Shumway

van der Grijn, Bart , B
2018-05-10 16:51:56 UTC
Hi Sue, thanks for the follow up. I sent you a direct email so I could include screen prints of what I'm getting.

Thanks,

Steve Thompson
2018-05-09 17:34:36 UTC
Post by Susan Shumway
Hi Elardus,
Wow, you're even more expensive than my babysitter! Never mind. ;-)
I completely agree that it would be nice if all products that run
on z/OS could provide content in the same downloadable format and
that it's all easy to find. In the meantime, I like your idea of
a ""big-mother-of-all" URL" and will run it by our strategist.
(Of course, we have
https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosInternetLibrary
for z/OS, but that doesn't include the other products.) Consider
opening a requirement for it - that will help with participation
from the other products.
-Sue Shumway
I have another problem, and I haven't read all the "rants" here,
but thought I'd list the issue I've just run into while working
on a migration issue.

KC is a fact of life. I can complain about it all I want but IBM
management isn't listing, they are going to do what they want.

What I would like to see is when I down load PDFs out of KC, that
those PDFs do not ASS-U-ME that I have an internet connection.

So when I click on a link in the PDF that is to another page in
that same PDF, it should not cause a browser to pop-up trying to
get to a KC web page.

Why? Well, think about someone who is working while traveling. I
may be on a train that does not have WiFi, or I might be on a
plane with the same issues -- Or I'm not willing to pay US$5 (or
EU 4,30) for an hour of WiFi that is rather slow when you think
about it (how many of us are road warriors... bandwidth and QOS...).

But when I'm traveling and not able to do programming, I work on
documentation... And that means I reference PDFs from various
vendors. I like the ones that their links to areas within their
manuals work.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

Susan Shumway
2018-05-15 17:14:06 UTC
Hi Steve,

Please provide an example (URL to the PDF, then page number and link
text) of a bad cross-book link for me to use to check into the problem -
thanks!

-Sue Shumway

A few questions:
What release of the product documentation? I ask because we