Rant
Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2018-05-03 09:31:30 UTC
Whenever I search for anything mainframe-related on Google, the pages are almost always to v2r1 KC links.
Although there's not too much difference in documentation between one release and another, just the non-IBM Plex font in v2r1 makes me manually change the URL each time.
Sometimes, this doesn't work; the same page for another v2rx doesn't exist!

- Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

2018-05-03 10:16:00 UTC
Post by Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
Whenever I search for anything mainframe-related on Google, the pages are almost always to v2r1 KC links.
Although there's not too much difference in documentation between one release and another, just the non-IBM Plex font in v2r1 makes me manually change the URL each time.
Sometimes, this doesn't work; the same page for another v2rx doesn't exist!
They (other versions) are there. Start at

https://www-304.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosInternetLibrary?OpenDocument

... and select your version and then do you searches.

Or if you are already in KC from a Google Search, then look at top left the 'Home' and also at the z/OS version being displayed.

If your are at a 'wrong' version, look for 'change version'.

If you are still having wrong results, please post your keywords used in your searches.

Many people including me asked for help on IBM-MAIN about KC. You can search IBM-MAIN about these complaints. You will get many hits.

Consider use the 'Feedback' in the KC pages. Hopefully you will get an answer or not.

Susan Shumway
2018-05-04 17:12:53 UTC
You're hired, Elardus! ;-)

Vignesh (and everybody else), Elardus's recommendation to start at the
z/OS Internet Library (
http://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosInternetLibrary
) is spot-on and what I tell people myself. From there, you can access
all the different formats of the same product documentation. Every user
has a favorite format for each situation, for example using the Indexed
PDF collection for offline search and the KC for quickly navigating
around and between many different deliverables and products.

My own broken record statement is that we're constantly trying to
improve how the Knowledge Center handles the extensive z/OS library of
content. We always appreciate input, though. Even if your feedback
regards something that we're already trying to implement, such as
improved search, it's always welcomed. Let me know if you ever have any
specific questions.

-Sue Shumway
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
[...]
Sue Shumway
z/OS Product Documentation Lead
IBM Poughkeepsie
***@us.ibm.com

Gibney, Dave
2018-05-04 17:19:23 UTC
I guess I should mention that Bookmanager worked very well here.
Vignesh (and everybody else), Elardus's recommendation to start at the z/OS
Internet Library ( https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-
3A__www.ibm.com_servers_resourcelink_svc00100.nsf_pages_zosInternet
Library&d=DwICaQ&c=C3yme8gMkxg_ihJNXS06ZyWk4EJm8LdrrvxQb-
Je7sw&r=u9g8rUevBoyCPAdo5sWE9w&m=Ws_xY_gt0uNnnTCMaBGoY67fRb
67632PRTxMTHQgEig&s=vCHEcuaSGqQwDNCRckr0ySSOEOIqqb1HNXHyvCdsj
Bc&e=
[...]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www-
2D304.ibm.com
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
_servers_resourcelink_svc00100.nsf_pages_zosInternetLibrary-
3FOpenDocu
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
ment&d=DwICaQ&c=C3yme8gMkxg_ihJNXS06ZyWk4EJm8LdrrvxQb-
Je7sw&r=u9g8rUev
BoyCPAdo5sWE9w&m=Ws_xY_gt0uNnnTCMaBGoY67fRb67632PRTxMTHQgE
ig&s=_o8igbL
Ktvf4Fw5UU9uNMe11a32-cZvGBDUth-AF-NQ&e=
Carmen Vitullo
2018-05-04 18:46:58 UTC
That sounds great Susan, and I have the KC server running on an LPAR here, (2.2) and using Softcopy Librarian V5 to load the contents, so where are all the 'other' books I'd like to load, DB2, MQ, IMS...to name a few?
those KC books do not appear in any selection, .Boo or .PDF format for me to download.
what am I missing?

Carmen Vitullo

Susan Shumway
2018-05-08 14:44:38 UTC
Hi Carmen,

Unfortunately, many products that run on z/OS still don't produce KC4z
formatted deliverables. The different teams that own the content make
the decision whether to produce KC4z plug-ins, and most of them have not
decided to do so yet. Feel free to open requirements to help encourage
production of the format!

Note to all that we're no longer using Softcopy Librarian to distribute
KC4z plug-ins, starting with the first content update after V2R3 GA. You
can use Softcopy Librarian to obtain that initial V2R3 set, but you'll
need to use a different process to obtain and use the updated V2R3
plug-ins. An announcement is forthcoming, and I'll post about it here, too.

-Sue Shumway

Carmen Vitullo
2018-05-08 14:52:07 UTC
Hi Susan, I recall you telling us, or some doc I read about 2.3 and Softcopy librarian no longer being needed, I'd like to see one document type for all IBM documents, so I can move forward with the KC server and away from storing all my doc on a Winders Share.
thanks Susan

Carmen Vitullo

Susan Shumway
2018-05-08 15:00:54 UTC
Hi Carmen,

Definitely consider opening that requirement. More and more users are
discovering KC4z as a content repository, so having all the products
available in that format will end up benefiting many.

-Sue Shumway

2018-05-08 15:03:59 UTC
Post by Susan Shumway
Hi Carmen,
Unfortunately, many products that run on z/OS still don't produce KC4z
formatted deliverables. The different teams that own the content make the
decision whether to produce KC4z plug-ins, and most of them have not
decided to do so yet. Feel free to open requirements to help encourage
production of the format!
​Hum, do we encourage this via money or baseball bats? {grin}​
--
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

Tom Marchant
2018-05-03 12:37:20 UTC
Refrain: the "new tools" are not as reliable, available or functional as the "old tools" being replaced/upgraded.
Yeah, Allan. We know.
How many times have you posted this to the list?
What purpose do you think it serves?

It is beginning to look like spam.
--
Tom Marchant

2018-05-03 13:16:06 UTC
Me: Give me Book Manager, or give me Death!
IBM: Drop dead.

The KC manuals are so variant that they remind me of my mom saying "A place
for everything, and everything in it's place!" The problem was the "place"
that things "belonged" changed every week. So there is the z/OS 2.1 variant
of KC, the 2.2 variant, the CICS 4.1 variant, and so on. Each unique in its
own perverse way.

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 8:13 AM, Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh <
Hahaaa
Refrain FAIL.
- Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure
[...]
https://apac01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=
www.marksandspencer.com&data=02%7C01%7Callan.staller%40HCL.COM%
7C226d6763136a42be231608d5b0d8e344%7C189de737c93a4f5a8b686f4ca994
1912%7C0%7C0%7C636609367971130810&sdata=82zkDMQ9pZ9HmSbQLmwCu%
2FiEi9H7Mxtu6VHpbhIPqTE%3D&reserved=0
This e-mail is confidential. If you received it by mistake, please let us
know and then delete it from your system; you should not copy, disclose, or
distribute its contents to anyone nor act in reliance on this e-mail, as
this is prohibited and may be unlawful.
--------------------------------------
intended for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain
viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without
referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator
or HCL or its affiliates. Views or opinions, if any, presented in this
email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or
publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized
representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before
opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for viruses and
other defects.
--------------------------------------

Tom Marchant
2018-05-03 13:26:04 UTC
I will probably keep posting this until the PFCSK's creating these tools get their act together!
It isn't that I disagree with you. I agree with what you wrote.
I understand and share your frustration. You are preaching to the choir here.
Repeatedly posting the same thing here is not likely to accomplish anything.
2018-05-03 14:00:03 UTC
Whenever I search for anything mainframe-related on Google, ...
You get what you pay for?

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2018-05-03 14:36:33 UTC
Is there a paid search engine where I get extremely context accurate search results? 😊
I should just get DocBuddy and read reams of documentation on a mobile phone!

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

2018-05-03 17:49:57 UTC
Remember that to google you are not the customer, you are the product.

http://secure-web.cisco.com/1rcxgIWi6JYtpAwndq8niPaUoIbo_wJUf1XVHmPMDo6nVpHtN_Pq6LTUVuNpvE_CcGP8EzLxnrtJA0YFwNXYsFp-QBt_SpjwhTFCdpAz-WsJEox1XFDjof8UttKMIReJdM5Hh8mCGixmKVCDM5erRjRl281dLkACVtQeveg6GRGtUDpJq8VBgIEWR_PmyDvYsJGTiy0FGY7zrmhe6NiXhhf51UpBP5L48-tCeWyLFgRJorxOKMeKEgB13vlp62WjnrkjvL0p7S6bcz49EgTPpnGZG99MlcO5DSs7eVn4bBQdnGLOfsORK5DnJVKw2oleckoCH8rJi2LuFezEnc0UppWXM7aikGkvy0-HZNVn-frO4TgWRM0OsTwg-ccxsLicV/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marksandspencer.com

2018-05-03 18:34:58 UTC
<OT>

I saw the most wonderful quote the other day, regarding free services (like
Google, but not to pick on them in particular).

"If you're not paying for it, then you're not the customer. And if you're
not the customer, you're the merchandise."

</OT>

Remember that to google you are not the customer, you are the product.

Andrew Rowley
2018-05-03 23:52:34 UTC
I saw the most wonderful quote the other day, regarding free services (like
Google, but not to pick on them in particular).
"If you're not paying for it, then you're not the customer. And if you're
not the customer, you're the merchandise."
Most people here would be paying IBM for software licenses, so are
indirectly paying for documentation i.e. Knowledge Center.

Is the search you're paying for better than the free Google one?
--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software

2018-05-04 00:34:07 UTC
I love Google. I use it all the time, both professionally and personally.

But I'm a realist. I know Google is not in this game out of altruism.

To answer your question more or less, it is sad to say I use about four methods of finding z documentation -- not because I like variety, but because each is about a 70-80% solution. (BookManager, PDFs resident on my notebook, KnowledgeCenter and Google)

Maybe IBM should rename it KnowledgeCensor. (If that name catches on, you heard it here first.)

2018-05-04 15:28:58 UTC
In the last few years I've had better luck using wiki as a search engine than using google; even though google allegedly has syntax for restricting the search, it still gives lots of hits that don't match; a "smart" search of the "Do what I want in some alternate universe rather than what's in my search string" flavor.