How to calculate records sorted in memory
Bill Ashton
2018-11-09 16:09:42 UTC
Is there a way that I can determine if my SORT can be done in memory, or if
I will use SORTWK files? I am running IBM DFSORT if that matters.

For example, I am playing with a file that has about 15 Million records
(FB, len 49), and the key is the whole 49-byte record. How can I determine
if the whole file can be sorted in memory or not - is there something in
the output in one of those "x - #######" diagnostic fields that tells me
anything useful? (BTW, is there any explanation of all those fields?)

By the way, this is only in my test system. My production file has upwards
of 250 Million records.

Thank you for whatever you can tell me about this.
Billy
--
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-11-12 08:09:42 UTC
DFsort evaluates the status of the system at each run, so different runs will produce different results and predicting is difficult.
DFsort statistics will show how the sort ran:

ICE055I 0 INSERT 442351, DELETE 442351
ICE054I 0 RECORDS - IN: 0, OUT: 0
ICE134I 0 NUMBER OF BYTES SORTED: 84931392
ICE253I 0 RECORDS SORTED - PROCESSED: 442351, EXPECTED: 442351
ICE165I 0 TOTAL WORK DATA SET TRACKS ALLOCATED: 0 , TRACKS USED: 0 <==
ICE199I 0 MEMORY OBJECT USED AS MAIN STORAGE = 0M BYTES
ICE299I 0 MEMORY OBJECT USED AS WORK STORAGE = 84M BYTES
ICE180I 0 HIPERSPACE STORAGE USED = 0K BYTES
ICE188I 0 DATA SPACE STORAGE USED = 0K BYTES

This one did not use SORTWKs.

Kees.
Is there a way that I can determine if my SORT can be done in memory, or if
I will use SORTWK files? I am running IBM DFSORT if that matters.
For example, I am playing with a file that has about 15 Million records
(FB, len 49), and the key is the whole 49-byte record. How can I determine
if the whole file can be sorted in memory or not - is there something in
the output in one of those "x - #######" diagnostic fields that tells me
anything useful? (BTW, is there any explanation of all those fields?)
By the way, this is only in my test system. My production file has upwards
of 250 Million records.
Thank you for whatever you can tell me about this.
Billy
--
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286