OA55296 data loss DB2 may be especially vulnerable
Knutson, Samuel
2018-06-29 11:54:01 UTC
Nofars shared this on Twitter and I don't see it in the last month here on IBM-MAIN so in case others have not seen it.

https://twitter.com/nofars/status/1012216001201606657

People, DO NOT UPGRADE TO z/OS 2.3 without OA55296 applies. We just had a few dozen DB2 datasets destroyed. #zOS #mainframe

To be more specific- because DB2 datasets tend to have a large amount of extents, that's where you'll likely get hit by this. We are now stuck with inaccessible datasets that can't even be deleted. The VTOC and VTOCIX appear to be beyond repair #mainframe
Not sure why this isn't a Red Alert. #mainframe #zOS

Ouch!
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1OA55296

OA55296: F4 DSCB IN VTOC OVERLAID WITH ZEROS RESULTING IN VOLUME BEING INACCESSIBLE, release 2.3 only
A fix is available
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1OA55296#more
APAR status
* Closed as program error.
Error description
* VTOC CONVERT routine writes F0 DSCB in place of F4 DSCB
* resulting in IEC603I and IEC143I 213-04 when attempting to open
* the VTOC. This is triggered by an orphaned F3 DSCB in the VTOC.
*
* Sequence of events:
* 1. IEC608I DADSM FUNCTION DISABLED THE VTOC INDEX ON
* dddd,vvvvvv,20,CCCCHHHHR
* Cde 20 : The Allocate or Extend function discovered that a
* DSCB marked unallocated in the VTOC Index, indicating that
* the DSCB is a Format 0, is not a Format 0 DSCB. The cchhr is
* that of the DSCB.
*
* 2. DUMP DADSM CREATE (or EXTEND) DIAG=0820040B or DIAG=0831040B
* or DIAG=0853040B
* The key is that there is a DIAG=xxxx040B, which means CVAF RC
* = 04 ; CVSTAT = 0B : DSCB is not format-0 DSCB and VERIFY=YES
*
* 3. IEC604I VTOC CONVERT ROUTINE ENTERED ON dddd,vvvvvv,,DEVMAN
* If the DEVMAN keyword is present, this indicates that
* conversion is taking place in the Device Manager Address
* Space.
*
* 4. IEC603I VTOC ERRORS MAY EXIST ON dddd,vvvvvv,0
* Cde 0: An I/O or unexpected CVAF error return code error
* occurred in the DADSM routines Allocate, Extend, Scratch or
* Partial Release. The routine ended processing, thereby
* leaving the VTOC in a partially updated state.
*
* 5. Attempts to open SYS1.VTOC result in IEC143I 213-04
*
Local fix
* contact DADSM L2 to recover volume.
* .
* ++APAR available as follows....
* On server testcase.boulder.ibm.com in the fromibm/mvs
* directory in binary format as BA55296.HDZ2230
*
Problem summary
* ****************************************************************
* * USERS AFFECTED: *
* * Users of volumes with Indexed VTOC. *
* ****************************************************************
* * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: *
* * During the process of converting Indexed VTOC to OSVTOC (due *
* * to administrator action or error detection), if an orphaned *
* * Format-3 DSCB is detected, it will be reset to Format-0 *
* * DSCB. The CCHHR address of the orphaned Format-3 DSCB was *
* * reset to CCHHR of the Format-4 DSCB, causing that to be the *
* * DSCB reset to format-0. This caused the VTOC to be *
* * inaccessible. *
* ****************************************************************
* * RECOMMENDATION: *
* ****************************************************************
*
Problem conclusion
* The problem has been corrected to prevent Format-4 DSCB from
* being overwritten with Format-0 DSCB.
*
Temporary fix
Comments
APAR Information
* APAR number
OA55296
* Reported component name
DEVICE MGMT SER
* Reported component ID
5695DF133
* Reported release
230
* Status
CLOSED PER
* PE
NoPE
* HIPER
YesHIPER
* Special Attention
NoSpecatt / Xsystem
* Submitted date
2018-04-11
* Closed date
2018-04-19
* Last modified date
2018-06-04
* APAR is sysrouted FROM one or more of the following:
* APAR is sysrouted TO one or more of the following:
UA95941
Modules/Macros
* IGG0425P
*
Fix information
* Fixed component name
DEVICE MGMT SER
* Fixed component ID
5695DF133
Applicable component levels
* R230 PSY https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/ordermedia/shopCart?ptfs=UA95941
UP18/05/04 P F805 ¢
Fix is available
* Select the PTF appropriate for your component level. You will be required to sign in. Distribution on physical media is not available in all countries.

Best Regards,

Sam Knutson | VP, Product Management | Compuware
@samknutson | linkedin.com/in/samknutson
***@Compuware.com | M: +1 301 996-1318

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it

2018-06-29 12:15:23 UTC
Post by Knutson, Samuel
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1OA55296
Thanks. I have looked up in Red Alerts and Notifications. Nothing there... weird, because this APAR is about 2 months old.

On above website: "Local fix - contact DADSM L2 to recover volume."

May work, but I rather also want to see Temporary fix too, but if F4 DSCB is overwritten, you're basically SOL. Ouch.

Question: What was changed between 2.2 and 2.3 that results in this Program Error?
Post by Knutson, Samuel
People, DO NOT UPGRADE TO z/OS 2.3 without OA55296 applies. We just had a few dozen DB2 datasets destroyed. #zOS #mainframe
What DB2 version? How is DB2 related with this problem? I see nothing about DB2 in that IBM's pages?

Pommier, Rex
2018-06-29 17:10:32 UTC
Hi Elardus,

From what I read, I don't think the problem is specific to DB2, it is just that the problem manifested itself at the OP's site by trashing a bunch of DB2 datasets on the volumes that were destroyed.

Rex

Post by Knutson, Samuel
People, DO NOT UPGRADE TO z/OS 2.3 without OA55296 applies. We just had a few dozen DB2 datasets destroyed. #zOS #mainframe
What DB2 version? How is DB2 related with this problem? I see nothing about DB2 in that IBM's pages?

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Tom Conley
2018-06-29 12:41:01 UTC
Post by Knutson, Samuel
[...]
Thanks for posting this to the list Sam, we need to get the word out on
this one! Nofar is right, this should be a Red Alert. I just don't
understand what's going on at IBM these last 6 months.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Jousma, David
2018-06-29 14:51:05 UTC
Thanks Sam!

I've opened PMR with IBM. We've been V2.3 since March, and have not seen this issue. I've asked them what the conditions are for the problem to occur. Fixing PTF requires IPL. There is also another related APAR OA55525 that is still open, but the local fix in it is to use ICKDSF to rebuild the VTOX index (from a system that has OA55296 installed).

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

[...]

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

2018-06-29 16:36:58 UTC
Fixing PTF UA95941 (HIPER) is available. We happen to have it on because we (very) recently installed the latest RSU plus FIXCAT items. We never saw the error but will now be especially careful not to propagate the vulnerable level in the enterprise. Thanks again Sam!

Jousma, David