CPU Utilization
saurabh khandelwal
2018-07-03 11:42:30 UTC
Hello Group,

We have requirement to trigger alert to operator console, once CPU
utilization for any address space or any Job or any running STC reach to
certain pre defined number. Like any job or address space or STC consuming
CPU for more then 30 min etc , operator should get alter on his console.

Is there any way to implement this process using rexx, netview or any other
way .

Roger Lowe
2018-07-03 13:07:37 UTC
Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
We have requirement to trigger alert to operator console, once CPU
utilization for any address space or any Job or any running STC reach to
certain pre defined number. Like any job or address space or STC consuming
CPU for more then 30 min etc , operator should get alter on his console.
Is there any way to implement this process using rexx, netview or any other
way .
If you have RMF installed, you could look at using RMFM3B and zEvent which could do what you are after ....

Roger

saurabh khandelwal
2018-07-03 18:05:52 UTC
I read about RMFM3B from below white paper

http://www-03.ibm.com/support/techdocs/atsmastr.nsf/c6192fb3a432612485256d970082de57/399938068ea32df786256e2a005e8c8e/$FILE/RMF_WTO_2010.pdf

but i am not sure, how to implement this for checking live cpu usage for
every stc, jes job , omvs etc and send notification to operator console
once threshold value exceed to avoid issue

Is there anybody has implemented this facility.
retired mainframer
2018-07-03 15:53:38 UTC
You might look at IEFUTL in the MVS Installation Exits manual to see if it can do what you want.
saurabh khandelwal
2018-07-03 17:44:55 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for reply. Can IEFUTL exit also provide live CPU usage detail by
every job, stc, address space, omvs etc and send alert to operator console,
if any set limit for CPU is exceeded .
2018-07-03 18:16:47 UTC
Can IEFUTL exit also provide live CPU usage detail by every job, stc, address space, omvs etc and send alert to operator console, if any set limit for CPU is exceeded .
No, IEFUTL is called INSIDE an Address Space as often as specified in SMFPRMxx in statement JWT [depending on further selection by exit].

Anyways, you can perhaps code your own IEFUTL to extract the stats from all 'live address space' and their resource usage. I will not recommend that approach. Reason is that you want to avoid excessive overhead when IEFUTL is triggered by a time-out event.

Use, as recommended, RMF and its friends.

2018-07-04 05:10:42 UTC
No, IEFUTL is called INSIDE an Address Space as often as specified in SMFPRMxx in statement JWT.
.... and it would also be called when the CPU time used exceeds the time limit of the job or step (TIME= parameter). But this means also that the exit is most never called.

And since we're at JWT: I only recently learnt that z/OS V2.1 introduced two new SMFPRMxx parameters called TWT and SWT. So, we can now manage continuous wait time differently for TSO users, STCs and all the rest, i.e. batch jobs, OMVS process address spaces (I'm just guessing that the latter are handled by JWT).

retired mainframer
2018-07-04 05:28:06 UTC
Of Peter Hunkeler
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2018 10:10 PM
Subject: AW: Re: CPU Utilization
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
No, IEFUTL is called INSIDE an Address Space as often as specified in
SMFPRMxx in
statement JWT.
.... and it would also be called when the CPU time used exceeds the time
limit of the job or
step (TIME= parameter). But this means also that the exit is most never
called.

But if you specify the desired time on the job statement (the OP said 30
min?), IEFUTL would get called and could take the desired action (extend for
another 30 after generating some console message?).

saurabh khandelwal
2018-07-04 05:31:22 UTC
I would like operator console to be notified when any address space or Job
taking more CPU for longer then any time we specify
2018-07-04 11:46:33 UTC
Post by retired mainframer
But if you specify the desired time on the job statement (the OP said 30
min?), IEFUTL would get called and could take the desired action (extend for
another 30 after generating some console message?).

I stand corrected. I had in mind he wanted an alert when some address space consumes more that a certain amount of CPU *percent*in an interval, not time.

Joel C. Ewing
2018-07-04 16:52:43 UTC
Post by retired mainframer
Post by retired mainframer
But if you specify the desired time on the job statement (the OP said 30
min?), IEFUTL would get called and could take the desired action (extend for
another 30 after generating some console message?).
I stand corrected. I had in mind he wanted an alert when some address space consumes more that a certain amount of CPU *percent*in an interval, not time.
I think  the original poster really needs to consider what his objective
is.   By itself, percentage of CPU used in real time is not a reliable
indicator of a problem with a job. A perfectly tuned complex job on a
lightly loaded system may consume a high percentage of a physical CPU
for an extended time, but this is goodness if it completes in that much
less real time and it shouldn't be penalized for being well-tuned.   A
job in an infinite loop on a heavily-loaded system may not show up with
as high of CPU utilization, but can soak up enough remaing CPU resource
to raise your 4-hour MSU average and either raise software charges or
result in LPAR capping which could then cause performance issues.

The least expensive solution is to set "reasonable" (for your
installation) default CPU TIME limits on job classes and in cases where
the default TIME is inadequate use reasonable TIME limits on JOB  and/or
EXEC cards to catch job steps that are using much more total CPU time
than is expected.  You can write your IEFUTL exit to be sensitive to
production job classes and allow the Operator to choose to extend the
CPU time for production jobs that appear to be doing useful work, unless
the total time is completely out of line with historical usage by the
job step.
    Joel C Ewing
--
Joel C. Ewing, Bentonville, AR ***@acm.org

Joel C. Ewing
2018-07-04 17:07:11 UTC
When total CPU time used by the address space is the issue, that can be
handled using an IEFUTL exit, setting a default JOB TIME parameter by
job class in JES2, and overriding that with TIME parameters on the JOB
and EXEC statements as appropriate.  The IEFUTL exit can be written to
either cancel the job when the limit is exceeded, or ask the operator
whether he wants to extend the CPU TIME limit or cancel the job, and
differentiate based on Job class, etc.   I suspect you could probably
write the IEFUTL exit to auto extend the limit for an STC address space,
but put out a console message so the Operator would know it was
happening, and he could then manually cancel the address space if the
behavior and CPU extension was unreasonable.
    Joel C. Ewing
.

Scott Barry
2018-07-03 19:06:35 UTC
Post by saurabh khandelwal
Hello Group,
We have requirement to trigger alert to operator console, once CPU
utilization for any address space or any Job or any running STC reach to
certain pre defined number. Like any job or address space or STC consuming
CPU for more then 30 min etc , operator should get alter on his console.
Is there any way to implement this process using rexx, netview or any other
way .
Consider REXX EXEC approach, possibly -- sleep/wake-up, invoke SDSF DA command, parse/interrogate results, take action accordingly, iterate.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Peter Ten Eyck
2018-07-03 19:22:18 UTC
This sounds like something that could be done with a product like BMC Mainview for z/OS or ASG TMON for z/OS (or other). I think alerts can be set for CPU usage in these products.

Feller, Paul
2018-07-03 19:23:12 UTC
If you have BMC Mainview or IBM Omegamon (or some other monitoring software) consider looking at those to monitor and alert you about CPU usage. Among other things that is part of what they are created for.

Thanks..

Paul Feller
AGT Mainframe Technical Support

saurabh khandelwal
2018-07-04 05:26:27 UTC
Thanks for reply. We don't have BMC Mainview or IBM Omegamon or any third
party product except Netview from ibm.

I read about RMFM3B from rmf user guide also but not much help to setup
this for CPU usage . Can anybody help me to achieve this task .
Vince Getgood
2018-07-04 08:24:07 UTC
Saurabh,
How much is your management willing to spend on achieving this requirement?

From the few posts that I've seen, I'd suggest no-one here does this now, or has ever done it. If a company wants to monitor it's mainframe resource usage dynamically, it buys and impliments a product. (BMC Mainview, ASG TMON, IBM's Omegamon etc).

You're basically asking us to help you write something that will replace one of the above - I'd suggest that's not going to happen - at least not for free!

Also, consider how much resource a home-grown resource monitor would use? Who monitors the monitor?

You need to go back to your management and explain that, with the tools available to you, what they are trying to achieve is not possible without a significant investment in time and money.

I'm available (for a fee!) to explain the real world to your management.

Roger Lowe
2018-07-04 13:52:47 UTC
Post by Vince Getgood
Saurabh,
How much is your management willing to spend on achieving this requirement?
From the few posts that I've seen, I'd suggest no-one here does this now, or has ever done it. If a company wants to monitor it's mainframe resource usage dynamically, it buys and impliments a product. (BMC Mainview, ASG TMON, IBM's Omegamon etc).
You're basically asking us to help you write something that will replace one of the above - I'd suggest that's not going to happen - at least not for free!
Also, consider how much resource a home-grown resource monitor would use? Who monitors the monitor?
Again, if you have RMF at your site, you could something similar to what we have done using RMFM3B to write out to syslog/operlog what our Group Capacity usage are for our various environments. An example:
+RMF300I 3B: Processing CPC Report...

+MVS1 - RMF301I: 4H Average: 2
+MVS1 - RMF302I: 4H Max: 3
+MVS1 - RMF303I: WLM Capping %: 0.0
+MVS1 - RMF304I: Group Name: GRPDEVT
+MVS1 - RMF305I: Group Limit: 9
+MVS1 - RMF306I: Time until Capping: 195 minutes
.
Using the above info, you could certainly then setup whatever automation package you have to trap on the relevant fields
.
Have a look in your *.SERBCLS dataset (members ERBM3B and ERBR3CPC) and that will give you a good starting point to set something up to fit your requirements. As Vince said, you are basically asking/wanting someone else to do the leg work for you for free and that ain't going to happen any time soon!

Just to provide you with another source of RMF related info/goodies - https://github.com/IBM/IBM-Z-zOS/tree/master/zOS-RMF

Roger

2018-07-04 21:42:10 UTC
Many years ago when CMOS machines (9672) first came on the scene, individual CPs were a lot slower--by 3x--than the bipolar CPs they were replacing. Not a big issue for transactional processes like CICS, but batch suffered because of long standing jobs that suddenly were getting S322 abends doing the same amount of work as before.

Rather than force JCL changes for hundreds of existing jobs, we added code in IEFUTL to extend the time for two additional intervals of whatever TIME= value was in effect. We kept track of extensions via some flags and issued a message each time the limit was extended.

Eventually of course CMOS speeds caught up with bipolar and exceeded it. Not surprisingly, our IEFUTL still grants extensions. If it ain't actually broke...

Post by saurabh khandelwal
I would like operator console to be notified when any address space or
Job taking more CPU for longer then any time we specify
On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 8:27 AM, retired mainframer

saurabh khandelwal
2018-07-06 09:37:44 UTC
Hello,

I am able to get RMF3B messages on on my syslog. But I unable to find the
way to get these message like below when DASD activity rate goes above
limit on console.

Can you please suggest way of achieving this task .

+RMF100I 3B: Processing WFEX Report...
+RMF100I 3B: Name Reason Critical val.
+RMF102I 3B: *STOR ONLXF < 16K 0 frames
+RMF102I 3B: OSPCAT DAR > 5 9.000 /sec