Zowe install woes
David Crayford
2018-08-16 11:27:07 UTC
Lots of buzz about Zowe [1] at SHARE this week and first impressions are
overwhelmingly positive. It looks like a great initiative to modernize
the mainframe
without tubby Eclipse. We downloaded the beta but it was missing parts,
most importantly installation scripts so it's a bit of a anti-climax.
Has anybody
managed to install Zowe successfully?

[1] https://zowe.org

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-08-16 11:32:20 UTC
Tried to look at it from the office and our firewall blocks it ☹

I did read up on it and my 1st impressions are that it is yet another attempt to create a new system management interface utilizing z/OSMF and provide the tools/parts for anyone to build them. Is this worthwhile - I'm not sure yet. Replacing a sub-second response interface using TN3270 with a multi-second web interface (based on experience using z/OSMF ISPF option) does not seem like a step in the right direction.

Lionel B. Dyck (Contractor) <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer – RavenTek Solution Partners

2018-08-16 11:43:43 UTC
I think it is worthwhile. I  can understand why you are dubious WRT
previous experiences with z/OSMF but Zowe looks different. It's using
cutting edge JavaScript frameworks like Angular for the UI which comes
from Google. They have
embraced open source and I've checked out the github repo and it looks
good. Let's face it, recreating ISPF using HTML was a bad idea! But this
is hopefully a new direction. I'm still confused what is
free and what you have to pay for. the zLUX UI has a 3270 emulator but
it appears that you need a library from Rocket which I assume comes from
their 3270 emulation suite (commerical).
Vendors don't want to give away money spinning products do they? Most of
us will stick to our emulator of choice anyway.
Kirk Wolf
Rob Schramm

Matt Hogstrom
2018-08-17 01:01:53 UTC
Sorry, dyslexic memory

slack.openmainframeproject.org <http://slack.openmainframeproject.org/>

WRT z/OSMF. Right now Zowe is leveraging the z/OSMF APIs. We are discussing whether we should pre-req or provide an abstraction for some of the APIs .. for instance, file services can easily use a delegating pattern and we could plug in different providers. Capabilities like Workflows requires a more substantial investment. Let us know via Slack or e-mail your preference. We understand z/OSMF has traditionally been a rather huge pre-req.

Matt Hogstrom

“It may be cognitive, but, it ain’t intuitive."
— Hogstrom
Post by Rob Schramm
Is that slack url correct??
Rob
David Crayford
2018-08-17 10:12:50 UTC
Post by Kirk Wolf
You can use the files, data sets, and jobs services in Zowe without z/OSMF
?
I don't think so. There's nothing wrong the the z/OSMF APIs it's the UI
that people don't like.

We've got a new product with a REST API that's basically a JAX-RS Java
servlet calling JNI code. Doe's this new open mainframe
initiative mean we can deploy our servlet into z/OSMF or the explorer
server shipped with Zowe? I suppose that's a question
better asked on the Slack channel.
2018-08-17 10:42:36 UTC
David - deploying into the z/OSMF Liberty instance is a no-no as it is
part of the z/OS operating system and IBM wants to control what runs there
for support reasons/security, etc. (I think there maybe be T&Cs that limit
what runs there. I have not dug into the specifics to know if there is any
signing of the code or technical limits.)

We are looking at how we can provide extensibility of the Zowe Explorer
instance. Explorer code is running on Liberty for z/OS. There is nothing
technically preventing things from running there that I am aware. The
nuances of that is better asked in the slack channel. I don't want to
play lawyer too much here. We want to provide extensibility of that
Liberty but we need to ensure what runs there is Zowe-related processing.

Bruce Armstrong
IBM System Z Offering Manager- zowe.org
4205 S MIAMI BLVD, DURHAM NC 27703-9141
Email: ***@us.ibm.com
Tel: 919-254-8773
Cell: 919-931-3132

David Crayford
2018-08-17 10:58:42 UTC
Bruce,

That's what I thought WRT z/OSMF. We ship a turnkey Apache Tomcat server
but our servlet WARs and native code run fine in WLP. But there
are license issues. Having a WLP instance that we can deploy into would
dramatically reduce the footprint of our product if we want to integrate
with Zowe. I really do hope that IBM will be willing to provide a free
to use servlet container for vendors to deploy their products into.
Kirk Wolf
2018-08-17 14:40:47 UTC
Bruce,

I'm not sure that I understand -

Zowe is open-source, but it must run in z/OSMF Liberty and you aren't free
to deploy your own code there ?
Matt Hogstrom
2018-08-16 16:03:39 UTC
Someone forwarded me a link to this thread about Zowe. I am part of the Zowe project and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

From the thread so far there are some good questions. I'll try and answer them here.

Zowe's mission is to provide a rallying point for improving administrative / management capabilities on z/OS so we can lower the barrier for new system programmers and developers that are not interested in the platform. Zowe is a collection of technologies from CA, IBM and Rocket that are broadly broken down into REST APIs and management, Web Desktop (we call this zLUX) and a command line interface. The breakdown of initial contribution was IBM, Rocket and CA for the components described before.

Why?
A rising tide lifts all boats has been a common discussion point in the team. z/OS has traditionally been proprietary and this has created barriers that make interoperability across administrative and management domains a challenge. The founding members (and read this as exactly that, founding members, we are reaching out to Synsort, BMC, Compuware and all the other ISVs to come and work with us.). The intent is that we can make better applications through a REST enablement and modern technology. This is not closed, all source is EPL 2.0 and resides in a public GitHub at https://github.com/zowe.

How does this related to z/OSMF?
Think of z/OSMF as a collection of RESTful services. Workflows, Notifications, Console access, files, ... . Zowe will exploit the existing services in z/OSMF but we are also innovating with other industry vendors on new capabilities which z/OSMF is not doing. Its an IBM product and we expect it will consume Zowe capabilities but we take the approach that we like RESTful services build on a secure fabric of SAF authentication.

If you have questions where the community is listening I'd venture over to openmainframeproject.slack.com. Slack is open to anyone and you can particpate in the conversation. Tell us where we're broken and suggest how we can improve.

Feel free to reach out by e-mail, slack and join the community.

Matt Hogstrom
2018-08-16 16:09:11 UTC
This is a beta so there is still lots of room for improvement. The install scripts are located in ./zowe-0.9.0/install. Its fairly straight forward. You update a yaml file to customize it to your environment and then run the install script. I really want feedback on installation issues as every z/OS system, configurations, etc. are different across the customers and we want to ensure that we make the process as easy as possible.

At this stage of the beta, we do assume z/OSMF is running but we're leaning away from that approach and will work with z/OSMF if its installed.

We are in the process of moving from a practice community IBM, Rocket and CA collaborated in and have moved most everything to https://github.com/zowe ... we're continuing to move items.

If you have questions it would be really helpful to join the Slack channel at openmainframeproject.slack.org.

Jerry Callen
2018-08-17 15:21:06 UTC
NOTE: I'm not a Zowe developer, but I sit near some of them at Rocket
and have some understanding of its structure via osmosis. :-) This
should not be considered "authoritative."

There are several pieces to Zowe:

* A web client (code that runs in the browser: HTML, CSS and
JavaScript). This is, as I understand it, all open source. Since it
runs in the browser, there's not much choice. :-)

* A node.js server that provides some services itself (including
serving the web content to the browser) and proxies to other
services. This can run on z/OS or on other platforms. Since it's
mostly just a proxy server, there are a bunch of other "back end"
servers it can talk to:

* A z/OS server that provides some of the "native" z/OS services.
* The standard z/OS TN3270 portal (to provide 3270 emulation support).
* The standard z/OS telnet portal (for USS native logins).
* REST services provided by ZOSMF or anything else.

The web client code is designed to allow new components to be easily
plugged-in; those components can use REST or WebSockets to talk to
whatever backend pieces they need. The slick part is the "virtual
desktop" in which these plug-ins live.

Because Zowe includes a TN3270 client, it doesn't in any sense
prohibit access to traditional TSO/ISPF services. Similarly, it
provides a "VT" client, so it can talk to USS, as well. Each of
these is just a window on the virtual desktop.

Plug-ins can be either open or closed source, especially on the
server side.

It's pretty nifty. :-)