z/OS 2.3, SDSFAUX missing message...
Brian France
2018-10-09 15:08:47 UTC
We're in process of upgrading from z/OS 2.1 to 2.3 On our test lpar when
we enter sdsf we see the following message -

ISF452E SDSFAUX communications failed, return code 0x00000008,,
reason code 0x00370801, function "connect". SDSFAUX not available,
or function not supported,

Indeed we have never run SDSFAUX nor the SDSF server. So any ide'ers as
to why this now coming up? Anyone else see it?
--
Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan

Carmen Vitullo
2018-10-09 15:12:35 UTC
I don't think this issue is related to one I had, mine was security related, I did find a match for this issue

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg1PI54862

Carmen Vitullo

Rob Scott
2018-10-09 15:29:33 UTC
From the "Summary of changes" section in the SDSF 2.3 manual :

As of z/OS V2R3, SDSF requires the SDSF and SDSFAUX address spaces to be active for full functionality.
The SDSF address space manages connections, processes ISFPRMxx statements, handles operator commands, and starts and stops SDSFAUX.
The SDSFAUX address space is used for data gathering requests.
Typically, the SDSF address space is started during IPL using COMMNDxx.
During SDSF initialization, the SDSFAUX address space is started.

When a user accesses SDSF, the SDSF client program attempts to connect to the SDSF address space. To connect to the SDSF server, the user must have READ access to the ISF.CONNECT.system resource in the SDSF class.

If the SDSF address space is not active, SDSF provides limited functionality.
The user must have READ access to the SERVER.NOPARM resource in the SDSF class so that ISFPARMS can be used instead of ISFPRMxx.
Panels that require the use of the SDSFAUX data gatherers (such as APF, LPA, and LNK) are not available.

If the SDSF address is active, but no ISFPRMxx is in effect (such as a syntax error during startup), SDSFAUX is not started.
The user requires access to the SERVER.NOPARM resource to fall back to ISFPARMS and requires READ access to the ISF.CONNECT.system resource to continue.
Panels that require the use of SDSFAUX are not available.

Hope that helps
Rob Scott
Rocket Software

We're in process of upgrading from z/OS 2.1 to 2.3 On our test lpar when we enter sdsf we see the following message -

ISF452E SDSFAUX communications failed, return code 0x00000008,, reason code 0x00370801, function "connect". SDSFAUX not available, or function not supported,

Indeed we have never run SDSFAUX nor the SDSF server. So any ide'ers as to why this now coming up? Anyone else see it?

--
Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/SYSARC Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
***@psu.edu

"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Carl Sagan

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

Carmen Vitullo
2018-10-09 15:34:29 UTC
Good to know ahead of time, thanks Rob!
I'll be moving to 2.3 early next year

Carmen Vitullo

Brian France
We're in process of upgrading from z/OS 2.1 to 2.3 On our test lpar when we enter sdsf we see the following message -
ISF452E SDSFAUX communications failed, return code 0x00000008,, reason code 0x00370801, function "connect". SDSFAUX not available, or function not supported,
Indeed we have never run SDSFAUX nor the SDSF server. So any ide'ers as to why this now coming up? Anyone else see it?
--
Brian W. France
Systems Administrator (Mainframe)
Pennsylvania State University
Administrative Information Services - Infrastructure/SYSARC Rm 25 Shields Bldg., University Park, Pa. 16802
814-863-4739
"To make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."
Carl Sagan
Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323
Contact Customer Support: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmy.rocketsoftware.com%2FRocketCommunity%2FRCEmailSupport&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cbwf2%40psu.edu%7Cfe0f8db547334794f3ba08d62dfc032e%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C636746957753832204&amp;sdata=DshSQRRIE%2FKV0UM4vZRVSIcjCLGxiLlc13%2BEDLP1M5Q%3D&amp;reserved=0
Unsubscribe from Marketing Messages/Manage Your Subscription Preferences - https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rocketsoftware.com%2Fmanage-your-email-preferences&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cbwf2%40psu.edu%7Cfe0f8db547334794f3ba08d62dfc032e%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C636746957753832204&amp;sdata=k5wtawOCiuOTacJ%2BYPRiP5iuigHnKZQ4a7P9mfoKZzE%3D&amp;reserved=0
Privacy Policy - https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rocketsoftware.com%2Fcompany%2Flegal%2Fprivacy-policy&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cbwf2%40psu.edu%7Cfe0f8db547334794f3ba08d62dfc032e%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C636746957753832204&amp;sdata=zSeMabeus96Uu7AX4WKdbvepzrPwrii94lP%2Bn0CpMgM%3D&amp;reserved=0