Any reason to still use SWA=BELOW?
Tom Conley
2018-10-09 00:37:31 UTC
Just wondering if there is any reason to still use SWA=BELOW. I'm
seeing this in a JES2 parm member and I'm surprised, since I changed to
SWA=ABOVE ages ago.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Mark Jacobs - Listserv
2018-10-09 00:52:02 UTC
If something/some program executing in that jobclass (I assume it's a batch initiator) is still running control blocks and not using SWAREQ, then yes it might be needed.

Mark Jacobs

Tom Conley wrote on 10/8/18 8:37 PM:
Just wondering if there is any reason to still use SWA=BELOW. I'm
seeing this in a JES2 parm member and I'm surprised, since I changed to
SWA=ABOVE ages ago.

Regards,
Tom Conley

send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu<mailto:***@listserv.ua.edu> with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Please be alert for any emails that may ask you for login information or directs you to login via a link. If you believe this message is a phish or aren't sure whether this message is trustworthy, please send the original message as an attachment to '***@meredith.com<mailto:***@meredith.com>'.

This electronic message, including any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). You are hereby notified that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete it.

Giliad Wilf
2018-10-09 10:31:16 UTC
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 20:37:23 -0400, Tom Conley <***@ROCHESTER.RR.COM> wrote:

I assume you see this while browsing the syslog for events that occurred during system startup for STCs launched prior to JES2 start.
This is why JES2 definition for STC jobclass is ignored.
These STCs get serviced by Master Scheduler, not by JES2.
a***@gmail.com
2018-10-10 14:51:17 UTC
Agree with @Mark Jacobs , programs not using SWAREQ can fail , as with zOS 2.2 SWA is located above the bar ,Some old application implemented SWA address translation using COBOL code fail to locate SWA block above the BAR , in this situation SWA=BELOW can be used as a work around till PGM is made to use SWAREQ macro.