Userarea and Systemarea crossing.
Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-06-08 09:25:44 UTC
Hello,

When getmaining storage in my address space the user- and system-area cannot cross: the highest user area block (getmained from the bottom) cannot pass the lowest system area block (getmained from the top) and vica versa.
Is this a rule for both below and above 16 MB? I know it is for <16MB, but I cannot find if this is also true for >16MB.

Thanks,
Kees.

For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-06-08 12:04:44 UTC
After some Googling, I found the answer in an MQ Q&A site:

"For the LSQA getmain failure, it is possible that the Extended User Region Top for the CHIN job has hit the bottom of Extended LSQA because Virtual Storage Manager (VSM) private storage use is high, for example Subpool 0 Key 8 (SP0 KEY8) and Subpool 131 Key 8 (SP131 KEY8)."

So the answer is: yes, it applies to private and extended private.

Kees.

Jim Mulder
2018-06-08 15:57:36 UTC
In z/OS 2.2 and above, each address space has a new control
block in 64-bit common storage which can be used to monitor these
boundaries - IHALDAX, pointed to by ASSBLDAX.

LDAX_LDACRGTP DS A Current high address of PRIVATE
AREA Region

LDAX_LDAERGTP DS A Current high address of EXTENDED
PRIVATE AREA Region

LDAX_CurHighBot DS A < 16M Cur bot Auth area
LDAX_CurEHighBot DS A > 16M Cur bot EAuth area

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY
Rob Scott
2018-06-08 16:41:45 UTC
Also note that SDSF for z/OS 2.3 added the following columns on the "AS" command display populated by the data in the LDAX :

Priv
PrivUsed
Priv%
EPriv
EPrivUsed
EPriv%

Rob Scott
Rocket Software

When getmaining storage in my address space the user- and system- area
cannot cross: the highest user area block (getmained from the
bottom) cannot pass the lowest system area block (getmained from the
top) and vica versa.
Is this a rule for both below and above 16 MB? I know it is for <16MB,
but I cannot find if this is also true for >16MB.

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.