WebSphere for z/OS Formal Education
Klein, Kevin
2018-07-31 21:14:53 UTC
I've been tasked to support for our WebSphere for z/OS systems(through attrition).
I currently have limited experience with this product.
I'm submitting this to see if anyone can recommend some good training classes for WebSphere for z/OS?

Most of the classes I see are more of an entry level, but I think I'm beyond that level.
We are running on 8.5.5.12 right now.
One of the first things I'm supposed to do is an upgrade to either current 8.5.5.x maintenance or to V9(if apps will get of Java V6).
I'm a long-time mainframer, so it would be nice if some of the web terminology and/or terms were not assumed to be known beforehand.
Yes, I see the contradiction.

Attention: The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies. (GWCC)

Timothy Sipples
2018-08-01 07:56:28 UTC
Post by Klein, Kevin
I'm submitting this to see if anyone can recommend some
good training classes for WebSphere for z/OS?
If you're going to SHARE in St. Louis (August 12 to 17, 2018), there are
several sessions on WebSphere Application Server for z/OS, including a
WebSphere Liberty Profile on z/OS hands-on lab (Session No. 22952).

Also please look into IBM course codes ES68G and ESB4G. I see these classes
are regularly scheduled online and in person in various locations.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE,
Multi-Geography
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

Neubert, Kevin
2018-08-01 18:36:05 UTC
WebSphere z/OS is a bit different. Uses IBM Installation Manager, but I doubt you would need training based on your experience.

WebSphere maintenance pretty much consists of fix packs. At the moment 8.5.5.12 is the second most recent 8.5 fix pack. So you seem okay in that regard.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27009661

If you pursue 8.5.5.12+ you need to know if your SBBOHFS is maintained via SMP/E or com.ibm.websphere.zOS.v85, etc. and proceed accordingly. For the latter check around for jobs like SBBOJCL(SBBO1*) and IBM Packaging Utility referencing com.ibm.websphere.zOS and com.ibm.java.jdk.

As always, take backups before changes. Stop WebSphere, swap out SBBOHFS, start WebSphere and watch for BBOO0401I with the NA an DM if applicable.

For 9.0 download WebSphere Customization Toolbox. This will build upgrade instructions and conversion jobs. Note, at this version SMP/E only maintains SBBOJCJ-must use IBM Packaging Utility.

I'll try and watch out for specific questions you have along the way.

Regards,