LRS VPS Printer Replacment
zos reader
2017-12-14 09:18:59 UTC
Hi,

We are planning to replace LRS VPS Printers to other Vendor product, I am
not aware of other vendor products in Market.

Can you all share your thoughts please.

Thanks..

Edward Finnell
2017-12-14 12:20:06 UTC
Several years back John Anderson started an ISVCOSTS list to help explore these types of questions. It has transmogrified into a SHARE offering at www.share.org/isvcosts Unfortunately does not accept gmail, hotmail, ISP or Vendor subscriptions. Don't know which browsers it supports not Edge that's for sure.

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2017-12-14 13:07:27 UTC
Hi,

Think this vendor has a product too - http://www.syzygyinc.com/SyzSPOOLz.htm

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

Several years back John Anderson started an ISVCOSTS list to help explore these types of questions. It has transmogrified into a SHARE offering at www.share.org/isvcosts Unfortunately does not accept gmail, hotmail, ISP or Vendor subscriptions. Don't know which browsers it supports not Edge that's for sure.

In a message dated 12/14/2017 3:20:25 AM Central Standard Time, ***@GMAIL.COM writes:

Can you all share your thoughts please.

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

Jackson, Rob
2017-12-14 13:57:30 UTC
We successfully replaced VPS with NPF, which is included in CommServer. It's not quite as robust as VPS, but considering the price, it works beautifully.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.halp001/toc.htm

We are planning to replace LRS VPS Printers to other Vendor product, I am not aware of other vendor products in Market.

Can you all share your thoughts please.

Thanks..

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Dana Mitchell
2017-12-14 14:36:57 UTC
Here's another vote for IBM's NPF. It does indeed work, the only rough bits is the sort of un-intuitive way you set up printers and different types of output. Between the bare bones ISPF panels, a slightly altered NPF exit from CBT tape to support different forms and seperator pages, and a home written REXX to summarize the configuration options, we make do and it does the job for our small number of printers.

Dana
Carroll, William
2017-12-14 14:41:13 UTC
Another vote for NPF. I have the same exact situation as Dana. Works well. We do CICS , Mainframe, Network, printing all through the same devices. Not one issue for over 2 years.

Bill

2017-12-14 14:46:10 UTC
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Carroll, William <
Post by Carroll, William
Another vote for NPF. I have the same exact situation as Dana. Works
well. We do CICS , Mainframe, Network, printing all through the same
devices. Not one issue for over 2 years.
​I got NPF working and it did well. However, it was (is still?) hard to
administer. So hard that the VTAM person (we actually still had SNA 3270
nodes via Visara controllers) decided that it was unacceptable. We went
with MacKinney's JQP. It was easier to administer than NPF (but not as easy
as VPS); reliable (we still use it); and relatively inexpensive.​
Post by Carroll, William
Bill
--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Porowski, Kenneth
2017-12-14 14:48:13 UTC
Another vote for MacKinney's JQP.

Another vote for NPF. I have the same exact situation as Dana. Works
well. We do CICS , Mainframe, Network, printing all through the same
devices. Not one issue for over 2 years.
​I got NPF working and it did well. However, it was (is still?) hard to administer. So hard that the VTAM person (we actually still had SNA 3270 nodes via Visara controllers) decided that it was unacceptable. We went with MacKinney's JQP. It was easier to administer than NPF (but not as easy as VPS); reliable (we still use it); and relatively inexpensive.​
Post by Carroll, William
Bill
--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.

Longnecker, Dennis
2017-12-19 18:13:23 UTC
I did the VPS -> JQP/VVP swap out around 2003. Have about 1500 printers defined in JQP/VVP.

I find the support really good with the JQP and VVP products. I tried NPF first, but the administration would have been really hard for my help desk people.

The only reason I did the swap out in the first place was cost. First it was the cost for CPU upgrades, but I am also seeing savings in the yearly costs.

Dennis

Another vote for NPF. I have the same exact situation as Dana. Works
well. We do CICS , Mainframe, Network, printing all through the same
devices. Not one issue for over 2 years.
​I got NPF working and it did well. However, it was (is still?) hard to administer. So hard that the VTAM person (we actually still had SNA 3270 nodes via Visara controllers) decided that it was unacceptable. We went with MacKinney's JQP. It was easier to administer than NPF (but not as easy as VPS); reliable (we still use it); and relatively inexpensive.​
Post by Carroll, William
Bill
--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.

zos reader
2017-12-22 13:11:55 UTC
We have more than 4000 printers and due to costing we are planning to
migrate to other..

Thanks all for your inputs..!!!

Post by Carroll, William
Another vote for NPF. I have the same exact situation as Dana. Works
well. We do CICS , Mainframe, Network, printing all through the same
devices. Not one issue for over 2 years.
​I got NPF working and it did well. However, it was (is still?) hard to
administer. So hard that the VTAM person (we actually still had SNA 3270
nodes via Visara controllers) decided that it was unacceptable. We went
with MacKinney's JQP. It was easier to administer than NPF (but not as easy
as VPS); reliable (we still use it); and relatively inexpensive.​
Post by Carroll, William
Bill
--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.
2017-12-14 16:41:42 UTC
This question has been floated here also. The main concern is that in our VPS implementation--decades old--the user can control the output format via printer name. So DEST=prt-name-D will print double-sided; prt-name-L will print landscape; and so on. We have built lots of code to support this option, and users expect it. Do these other products have some similar capability?

2017-12-14 16:57:41 UTC
For each NPF printer, I have multiple forms set up with routing records that point to different PCL exits to control size, and orientation. It could easily be done with different destination names too.

Dana
Alan Hein
2017-12-22 19:39:17 UTC
I have been reading the manuals and I have not understanding how LPR/LPD
relates to NPF.
How does the LPR/LPD environment relate to the NPF environment. In relation
to the JES2 capture point.
Ultimately I want the following to end up on a network printer: //SYSUT2
DD SYSOUT=B,DEST=U300
I do have output from the above DD making it to the NPF VSAM QUEUE dataset
in a Z status.
I have the LPSERVE started task running, but I do not think that I have the
LPDATA configured correctly.
I assume to accomplish getting my above output to a network printer, then I
would configure a REMOTE service?
If so, is the REMOTE service associated with a value in the NPF ROUTING
VSAM dataset? And if so, which values both in the LPDATA and the ROUTING?

Thank You!
Alan

From: Dana Mitchell <***@GMAIL.COM>
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date: 12/14/2017 10:59 AM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: LRS VPS Printer Replacment
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

For each NPF printer, I have multiple forms set up with routing records
that point to different PCL exits to control size, and orientation. It
could easily be done with different destination names too.

Dana

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 16:42:53 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson
Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
This question has been floated here also. The main concern is that in our
VPS implementation--decades old--the user can control the output format via
printer name. So DEST=prt-name-D will print double-sided; prt-name-L will
print landscape; and so on. We have built lots of code to support this
option, and users expect it. Do these other products have some similar
capability?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized review use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

2017-12-14 23:17:30 UTC
Thanks for all the responses. I compiled a list of the products mentioned together with 'ratings' and comments. I was surprised at the volume of NPF endorsements; I didn't even know about it. A lot of us choose a product for a particular purpose and stop window shopping, never realizing that the landscape is constantly evolving.

<snip to the bone>

Tony Harminc
2017-12-15 01:33:29 UTC
Thanks for all the responses. I compiled a list of the products mentioned together with 'ratings' and comments. I was surprised at the volume of NPF endorsements; I didn't even know about it. A lot of us choose a product for a particular purpose and stop window shopping, never realizing that the landscape is constantly evolving.
There are also several potential solutions to this general problem on
the CBTTAPE site, either on the main "tape" or on the JES2 "mods"
tape. Naturally these are unsupported, and may or may not work on
current levels of JES2, but certainly the price is right. And some of
them are not unsophisticated solutions at all.

Tony H.

Steve Beaver
2017-12-15 02:15:44 UTC
How many printers are on your system? The system I had had 1400 printers

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry for the autocorrect issues
Wendell Lovewell
2017-12-15 14:59:45 UTC
Hello "zos"!

MacKinney Systems' JQP will meet your needs at a very affordable price. Please give us a call!

Wendell Lovewell
MacKinney Systems
417-882-8012

2017-12-15 16:55:29 UTC
All I want for Xmas is the answer to the question of how many. ;-) We have over 12K (!) VPS definitions, but...

1. Many of those are multiple entries for the same physical device with varying format attributes like double-sided, landscape, two-up, etc. For example, one device I picked at random has 13 entries representing various attributes.

2. We have added innumerable printers over the decades. I was never 'the VPS guy', but I suspect that very few if any obsolete entries were deleted.

Keith Smith
2017-12-15 18:03:59 UTC
LRS provides a report of printer use, if you are collecting the SMF, If you
don't have 13 months of data then make sure to sample month end, quarter
end and year end processing dates... if not, you may miss some limited use
printers.
Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
All I want for Xmas is the answer to the question of how many. ;-) We have
over 12K (!) VPS definitions, but...
1. Many of those are multiple entries for the same physical device with
varying format attributes like double-sided, landscape, two-up, etc. For
example, one device I picked at random has 13 entries representing various
attributes.
2. We have added innumerable printers over the decades. I was never 'the
VPS guy', but I suspect that very few if any obsolete entries were deleted.
Behalf Of Steve Beaver
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:17 PM
Post by Tony Harminc
There are also several potential solutions to this general problem on
the CBTTAPE site, either on the main "tape" or on the JES2 "mods"
tape. Naturally these are unsupported, and may or may not work on
current levels of JES2, but certainly the price is right. And some of
them are not unsophisticated solutions at all.
Tony H.
Keith Smith
Engineer-Enterprise Sys Sr.-IT Capacity & Performance
Shaw Industries Inc.
Subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway
616 E Walnut Ave
Mail Drop 072-04
Dalton, GA 30721
Email: ***@shawinc.com Office: 706.532.3244

Privileged and/or confidential information may be contained in this
message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or are not
responsible for delivery of this message to that person) , you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this
message and notify the sender by reply e-mail.
If you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of
this kind, please advise the sender.
Shaw Industries does not provide or endorse any opinions, conclusions or
other information in this message that do not relate to the official
business of the company or its subsidiaries.

Cieri, Anthony
2017-12-15 19:05:39 UTC
LRS also provides several PCMDxxxx keywords that can reduce the need for multiple definitions for the "same" printer. These keywords provide various methods of "injecting" printer commands to control pagination, duplex, fonts etc. For example:

PCMDSTRT=(FPS13266,FPS13266,&WRITER), PRINTER COMMANDS AT START
PCMDEND=(FPS13266,FPS13266), PRINTER COMMANDS AT END

Also, VPS user exit 7 (VPSSUE07), if ENABLEed, is the exit responsible for SMF recording. By default, VPS records SMF type 6 records for printer activity.

Hth
Tony

Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
All I want for Xmas is the answer to the question of how many. ;-) We
have over 12K (!) VPS definitions, but...
1. Many of those are multiple entries for the same physical device
with varying format attributes like double-sided, landscape, two-up,
etc. For example, one device I picked at random has 13 entries
representing various attributes.
2. We have added innumerable printers over the decades. I was never
'the VPS guy', but I suspect that very few if any obsolete entries were deleted.
On Behalf Of Steve Beaver
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:17 PM
How many printers are on your system? The system I had had 1400 printers
Sent from my iPhone
Sorry for the autocorrect issues
On 14 December 2017 at 18:18, Jesse 1 Robinson

Jackson, Rob
2017-12-15 21:28:36 UTC
Not sure whom you were asking, but I can answer for our formerly-VPS, now-NPF shop. We have 65 active physical printers, covered by 174 definitions.

Warren Brown
2017-12-15 21:34:28 UTC
Hey Rob

Gilson
2017-12-15 22:29:22 UTC
Jesse:

In order to map all the printers are in use from all of 12k defined
in your VPS system you can use a very simple program that comes with the
VPS library that lists all the reports and printers in use but, for make
use of it, you need to record SMF register 6.

I can send you the source code we have used with some modifications
in order to filter by printer names ore sufix name.

I hope it helps you.

Regards,

Gilson Cesar

Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 6:17 PM
Post by Tony Harminc
[...]
---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.

Roger Bolan
2017-12-15 21:12:46 UTC
You should also look at Infoprint Server. It's a component of z/OS.

I don't know what the LRS VPS definitions look like, but I see another post
here that mentions 12K definitions. If you can read those with code, Rexx
perhaps, and parse them, you could create a text file of pidu create
commands to create the equivalent definitions for the Printer Inventory.
PIDU = Printer Inventory Definition Utility.

The documentation is in the IBM Knowledge Center.
You can go here:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter
and just search for pidu

or go here to see all the Infoprint Server related books, including in PDF
format.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.aps/aps.htm

--Roger
PINION, RICHARD W.
2017-12-15 21:27:19 UTC
I personally like IP Print Server over NPF. But it is a cost item, as in not
free as in NPF.

Barkow, Eileen
2017-12-18 13:54:28 UTC
I am curious as to why you want to replace VPS with another product, at least one which you would have to pay for anyway.
I know that Mckinney has a competing product which is probably cheaper than VPS, but
LRS support has always been great (when they get paid on time) and it may not be worth the effort to replace it.
Especially if a lot of customized code has to be written.

We are planning to replace LRS VPS Printers to other Vendor product, I am
not aware of other vendor products in Market.

Can you all share your thoughts please.

Thanks..

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.