Dummy question about CHPID
2018-08-05 10:20:25 UTC
Hi

Could someone help me to understand on why do we assign only 1 chpid for
OSA-ICC and OSA base 1000t.

I can see FC and FCP have two CHPIDs

Apology I am just new to IODF definition.

Gadi Ben-Avi
2018-08-05 10:31:28 UTC
On the newer OSA cards, while there are two ports, they both use the same CHPID. That's just how it works.
You can define which port to use using other means, depending on how the OSA card is configured.
Both ports must be the same type.

Could someone help me to understand on why do we assign only 1 chpid for OSA-ICC and OSA base 1000t.

I can see FC and FCP have two CHPIDs

Apology I am just new to IODF definition.

הודעה זו נשלחה אליך מטעם חברה בקבוצת מלם תים וייתכן שהיא מוגנת תחת סודיות מסחרית. כל הצעה, התחייבות או מצג מטעם החברה, מחייבים מסמך נפרד וחתום על ידי מורשה החתימה של החברה. החברה רשאית לנטר כל תכתובת העוברת בשרתיה והיא לא תישא באחריות לכל נזק, ו/או אובדן, שיבוש או פגיעה במידע כלשהו שנגרם מסיבות של תקיפה חיצונית ו/או זדונית על הארגון.

2018-08-05 11:05:44 UTC
Hi Gadi

Thank you so much for the response

Off topic

Based on the ficon express. How do we decide which one has to be defined as
FCP and FC type ? I understand FCP are for only zVM.
Gadi Ben-Avi
2018-08-05 11:11:32 UTC
FCP can be used by z/VM and Linux.
FC can be used with any operating system.

Mike Shorkend
2018-08-05 12:26:07 UTC
Typically FC(a.k.a FICON) is used to connect to "mainframe style" storage
such as ECKD.
FCP(a.k.a Fiber Channel) is used to connect to "distributed style" storage
such as SCSI

Mike
Post by Gadi Ben-Avi
On the newer OSA cards, while there are two ports, they both use the same
CHPID. That's just how it works.
You can define which port to use using other means, depending on how the
OSA card is configured.
Both ports must be the same type.
Could someone help me to understand on why do we assign only 1 chpid for
OSA-ICC and OSA base 1000t.
I can see FC and FCP have two CHPIDs
Apology I am just new to IODF definition.
email
.
Post by Gadi Ben-Avi
מורשה החתימה של החברה. החברה רשאית לנטר כל תכתובת העוברת בשרתיה והיא לא
תישא באחריות לכל נזק, ו/או אובדן, שיבוש או פגיעה במידע כלשהו שנגרם מסיבות
של תקיפה חיצונית ו/או זדונית על הארגון.
Mike Shorkend
***@shorkend.com
www.shorkend.com
Tel: +972524208743
Fax: +97239772196

2018-08-05 15:32:18 UTC
Hi Mike

Thanks

We share the same IODF between z/OS and zVM.

So here zVM connects with distributed style to the same box

Peter
Tony Thigpen

Parwez Hamid
2018-08-06 11:35:44 UTC
Whether 'old' or 'new' OSA Express 1000BASE-T features, its always been the case i.e. one CHPID for 2 ports.

When it comes to 'FICON' features, there has been a change with the latest feature i.e. FICON Express16S+. See below.

For both OSA and FICON features, the 'old' ones had a different form factor. When the PCIe architecture was introduced. the form factor changed and the number ports were halved. All OSA/FICON and Crypto features with an 'S' are the 'new' form factor. OSA Express4S and newer, FICON Express8S and newer have the newer form factor.

OSA Express4S 1000BASE-T and newer, 2 ports/one CHPID
OSA Express4S 1 GbE and newer, 2 ports/one CHPID. These features are either LX or SX.
OSA Express4S 10 GbE and newer, 1 port/one CHPID. These features are either LR or SR.

FICON Express8S and FICON Express16S, 2 ports/2 CHPIDs. Each Port can be either TYPE=FC or FCP or both can be TYPE=FC or FCP
For the latest FICON Express16S+, 2 ports/2 CHPIDs. The main change here is that BOTH ports have to be either TYPE=FC or FCP. Can't have a 'mix' of TYPEs on the same physical card.

In addition all FICON features are either LX or SX.

Neubert, Kevin
2018-08-06 16:09:17 UTC
Seems your question has been answered, but wanted to point out the IBM Z Connectivity Handbook (SG24-5444) is an excellent resource for such questions regarding channel architecture, connectivity options, connector types, etc.

Example, OSA-Express5S 1000BASE-T Ethernet feature code 0417 from the handbook:

The two ports of the OSA-Express5S 1000BASE-T feature have one CHPID assigned, so the two ports share one CHPID number. The use of both ports on a two-port CHPID requires support by the operating system.

Regards,

Kevin