How to setup a new SMF Dump dataset
2018-08-06 14:43:23 UTC
List

I know this is an easy question, but I am not sure of the best technique

I want to set up a null SMF Dump dataset that will be used in a later job. The
later job will mod onto this file the SMF Record Types I need.

What is a good technique for this?

I can use IFASMFDP and copy Type 0-3 to the new file.

Or can I use IEBGENER and just create the new SMF Dump output file?

Or can I use a different technique?

Thanks for your answers

Lizette Koehler
statistics: A precise and logical method for stating a half-truth inaccurately

Pew, Curtis G
2018-08-06 14:52:32 UTC
Post by Lizette Koehler
I can use IFASMFDP and copy Type 0-3 to the new file.
That’s basically what I do, except I use a DD DUMMY for the input file.
--
Pew, Curtis G
***@austin.utexas.edu

Carmen Vitullo
2018-08-06 15:31:24 UTC
I was going to suggest the define cluster and run
this

//FORMAT2 EXEC PGM=IFASMFDP

//***************************************************

//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*

//SMFDD DD DSN=SYS1.SYSA.MAN2,DISP=SHR

//SYSIN DD *

INDD(SMFDD,OPTIONS(CLEAR))

bu then I re-read your post, are you trying create a new DUMPOUT dataset or MANx dataset?

Carmen Vitullo

William Richardson
2018-08-07 12:20:44 UTC
Lizette;

There's nothing "magical" or special about an SMF dump (output) dataset such that you have to go to such extreme lengths to create one; its just a simple physical sequential dataset with a 32K record length and either V or VBS record format -- you can just create it using an IEFBR14 job with a DD that specifies the proper characteristics.

Quick follow-on ...... if you are going to be running a "future" job to 'MOD' data onto the end of this dataset you COULD even SKIP the above create step and just let the "MOD" operation create the dataet for you (that is, DISP=MOD ... means add to the end of the existing dataset -or- create a NEW one and put the data there). Be really careful with the DISP=MOD that you don't end up with a partial record at the "end" of the dataset and then when additional data is added to the dataset that partial record causes the follow-on data becomes in-accessible resulting in future attempts to read the dataset to fail. There are 'manual' steps and I think there are tool available that can be used to correct the issue in the event that this happens.

One other thing ...... be really careful about doing the "IFASMFDP with output TYPEs" because IFASMFDP will NOT generate an "empty" / null dataset but rather one that has at a minimum the 'first' and 'last' records (which are "throw-aways) BUT if you specify any other record types (like you noted in your original message) then you could end up with DUPLICATE records

Bill .....
IBM z/OS System Software Development and Service
(past "SMF" Component owner)