SMF type 119 (FTP) subtypes 70 and 72
Pierre Fichaud
2018-08-10 20:19:15 UTC
I am trying to generate these on my system at Dallas. I'm reading the doc on them and trying stuff but no luck. Can someone suggest something ? I can get sub-types 1,2,3,5,6 and 7. According to IBM, I should get them all for type 119 but ...
Thanks in advance, Pierre.

Nims,Alva John , Al
2018-08-10 21:09:10 UTC
#1. I would check your SMFPRMxx member, look for anything like, TYPE(119(1:7)) or NOTYPE(119(70:72))
Those would allow your 1-7 records, but deny the 70-72. If your SMFPRMxx does not allow for the subtypes to be recorded, then all of the following is moot.

#2. In the TCPPROF member or what you point to with the //PROFILE DD statement in your TCPIP procedure, do you have in the "SMFCONFIG" section. Do you have "TYPE119" with "FTPCLIENT" coded somewhere after that? Mine looks like this:
TYPE119 NODVIPA
FTPCLIENT
IFStatistics
NOIPSECURITY
NOPORTStatistics
PROFILE
NOTCPINIT
TCPIPStatistics
TCPSTACK
NOTCPTERM
NOTN3270CLIENT
UDPTerm

#3. Now in addition to #2, in the data set/file that is used for your default sourced for FTP.DATA do you have "SMF TYPE119" and since we have some that use the JES2 access, we also have, "SMFJES TYPE119". There is a third option, " SMFSQL TYPE119".

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer III
UF Information Technology
East Campus
P.O. Box 112050
Gainesville, FL. 32611
(e) ***@ufl.edu
(p) (352) 273-1298

Pierre Fichaud
2018-08-13 14:02:21 UTC
1) Please see response below for D SMF,O

2) 000104 SMFCONFIG TYPE119
. 000105 FTPCLIENT

. 000106 IFSTATISTICS
. 000107 IPSECURITY

. 000108 PORTSTATISTICS
. 000109
PROFILE
. 000110 TCPINIT
.
000111 TCPIPSTATISTICS
. 000112 TCPSTACK

. 000113 TCPTERM
. 000114 TN3270CLIENT

. 000115 UDPTERM

3) None of those are specified. But I am getting SMF types 1,2,3,5,6
and 7.

Regards, Pierre.

Pierre Fichaud
2018-08-16 17:39:15 UTC
The dataset in the FTPSERVE STC for the DDNAME SYSTCPD must have the
following:

SMF STD SMF type 118 - subtypes 70-75

SMF TYPE119 SMF type 119 - subtypes 70-72

Otherwise, they types/subtypes don't get generated.

Regards, Pierre.

retired mainframer
2018-08-10 21:11:00 UTC
It usually helps if you provide details regarding what you have tried and what results you see.

Sub type 3 is for FTP client events. Since subtypes 70 and 72 are for FTP server events, you should not see them for the same event that generated subtype 3. Are you logging on to the FTP server from an external source, such as a PC?

To generate a subtype 72, you need a logon failure. How are you trying to force this event?

To generate a subtype 70, a transfer needs to complete. Do you see an indication on the external system that one did?
Neubert, Kevin
2018-08-10 22:13:34 UTC
As already mentioned NOTYPE... What does D SMF,O on the system in question indicate?

How are you reading your SMF records? You indicate the single subtypes are present, any chance your searching offset 23 for a length of 1 instead of 22 for a length of 2, etc.?

Regards,

Kevin

Steve Beaver
2018-08-10 22:28:52 UTC
Cut and paste your smfprmxx so we can see it

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry for the autocorrect issues
Pierre Fichaud
2018-08-13 13:54:13 UTC