SDSF DA display in z/OS 2.3
2018-06-08 18:49:15 UTC
For as long as I can remember, the SDSF DA display marks 'swapped in' tasks with highlighting on all columns, including task name. In z/OS 2.3, we notice that columns are highlighted *except for* task name. Cannot find any doc on this change from 2.1. Worth an SR?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

Feller, Paul
2018-06-08 19:09:05 UTC
Well SDSF DA under z/OS 2.2 it still highlights the full line.

Thanks..

Paul Feller
AGT Mainframe Technical Support

2018-06-08 19:21:57 UTC
you can do the "point  and shoot" on the task name that is not highlighted and it gives you what "?" would.
To have it highlighted issue "SET FFPS OFF"

Jousma, David
2018-06-08 19:23:21 UTC
It is because JOBNAME is now a point and shoot field. Tab to it, and you get the equivalent of ? next to it. Go up to Options, 3- Screen, 9 Change fixed field point-and-shoot to OFF, and you get the old behavior.

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

For as long as I can remember, the SDSF DA display marks 'swapped in' tasks with highlighting on all columns, including task name. In z/OS 2.3, we notice that columns are highlighted *except for* task name. Cannot find any doc on this change from 2.1. Worth an SR?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Frank Swarbrick
2018-06-08 20:29:48 UTC
Interesting! Though I'm not sure I'm getting that exact behavior. I can place my cursor on the JOBNAME and then press enter, and it will behave as if I had placed ? in the NP field and pressed enter. But I can't tab to the job name. It bypasses it and goes to the Ptry column.

Does anyone know how to activate "point and click" for Micro Focus Reflection Workspace TN3270 emulator? If I point to the field and double click it simply highlights (reverse video) the job name value.

Frank
________________________________

2018-06-11 10:32:13 UTC
Post by Frank Swarbrick
Interesting! Though I'm not sure I'm getting that exact behavior. I can place my cursor on the JOBNAME and then press enter, and it will behave as if I had placed ? in the NP field and pressed enter. But I can't tab to the job name. It bypasses it and goes to the Ptry column.
Have a look at your ISPF (not SDSF) settings (Option 0 from the POM). There is s setting called "Tab to point-and-shoot fields". Is that enabled (has it a "/") in front of it? I'm not on z/OS V2.3 yet, so I cannot test.

Frank Swarbrick
2018-06-12 00:39:02 UTC
That did the trick, Peter. Thanks!
________________________________

2018-06-08 21:51:01 UTC
Thanks for the pointers. I would never have guessed the cause. However, there may still be reason for an SR: 'FFSP' does not show up everywhere in Help panels. For example,

SET ?
PARM INVALID
<PF1>
HELP: SET Commands to Set Options
Select a SET command by number, or press Enter to view them in sequence.
1 - ACTION Action characters
2 - BROWSE Default browse action character
3 - CKLIM Number of checks to displayed on the history panel
4 - CMODE Communications mode for sysplex data
5 - CONFIRM Confirmation
6 - CONMOD Console name modification
7 - CONSOLE Extended console
8 - CSORT Cursor-based sort
9 - CURSOR Cursor placement
10 - DATE Date format
11 - DELAY Timeout value
12 - DISPLAY Display of values
13 - DUPDS Dislay [sic] duplicate SYSOUT data sets

FFSP is not listed here, although it does show up in other contexts. Also it's a bit unusual for IBM to change default behavior without giving some mechanism to set an installation default.

Rob Scott
2018-06-11 10:15:12 UTC
SDSF 2.3 introduced the "point-and-shoot" ability for jobnames on panels such as "DA" and "H" to act as if the user typed "?" in the NP column.

Historically when SDSF introduces new behaviour there is either a "SET" option for the user or a custom property for the SDSF group that can be applied via ISFPRMxx.

This behaviour was deemed to be very much an individual user choice, so "SET FFPS" command was chosen as the mechanism to allow customization.

Note that this setting in saved in your ISPF profile dataset so you do not have to select this every time you enter the product.

Note that "SET ?" is not a valid command, all the product is attempting to do in response is show the first help panel for the SET command.
The help for FFPS is on the second help panel. SDSF is limited to 24 lines for compatibility reasons.

Rob Scott
Rocket Software

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

For as long as I can remember, the SDSF DA display marks 'swapped in' tasks with highlighting on all columns, including task name. In z/OS 2.3, we notice that columns are highlighted *except for* task name. Cannot find any doc on this change from 2.1. Worth an SR?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

2018-06-11 16:12:25 UTC
The FFPS setting in SDSF does not affect the ISPF Options setting.

2018-06-11 16:20:56 UTC
In the scenario I described, there is no second Help screen. Despite the note "Enter = Forward", <Enter> actually drills down on the Set options shown on the first screen beginning with "HELP: SET ACTION Command".

I just want this unexpected change to be made as transparent as possible for the unwitting user. I looked early on at the Help thread

1 - What's new

No mention of FFSP.

2018-06-12 08:58:36 UTC
"Enter = forward" takes you through the entire set of help for the first section of the "SET" command and then reverts to panel ISFJCMO which shows :

4 - SET (part 1) Set SDSF options: ACTION, BROWSE, CKLIM,
CMODE, CONFIRM, CONMOD, CONSOLE, CSORT,
CURSOR, DATE, DELAY, DISPLAY, DUPDS
5 - SET (part 2) More SDSF options: FFPS, LANGUAGE, LOG,
MENU, PRTCCASA, ROWNUM, SCHARS, SCREEN,
SECTRACE, SHELF, TIMEOUT

The usability here is not ideal to say the least.

It also seems that "FFPS" is missing from the "What's new" ISPF help section as well.

Please note that there is a "Setting fixed field point-and-shoot" section in the SDSF for z/OS 2.3 User's Guide (on or around page 14).

Rob Scott
Rocket Software

Webster, Chris
2018-06-12 17:43:29 UTC
SDSF primary command 'search ffps' brings up 7 hits. It gets past poor usability but does not help when you aren't sure what you are looking for (ffps not exactly the first thing that comes to mind for this).

...chris.

For as long as I can remember, the SDSF DA display marks 'swapped in' tasks with highlighting on all columns, including task name. In z/OS 2.3, we notice that columns are highlighted *except for* task name. Cannot find any doc on this change from 2.1. Worth an SR?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW

***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

Rocket Software, Inc. and subsidiaries ■ 77 Fourth Avenue, Waltham MA 02451 ■ Main Office Toll Free Number: +1 855.577.4323

Contact Customer Support: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__my.rocketsoftware.com_RocketCommunity_RCEmailSupport&d=DwIGaQ&c=UrUhmHsiTVT5qkaA4d_oSzcamb9hmamiCDMzBAEwC7E&r=RI5WP1BN1KW_B4HrO2twbFFOhk97OdY6xsy0TwKReZE&m=w8zAMalN5KkrEqWldIB5exoyRWXQ0U-v3Lzdu-3wHus&s=O6T-gIZGJ6mF8GHUABBHhrF9P6Kr_t_3AlmITVOicFE&e=

Unsubscribe from Marketing Messages/Manage Your Subscription Preferences - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rocketsoftware.com_manage-2Dyour-2Demail-2Dpreferences&d=DwIGaQ&c=UrUhmHsiTVT5qkaA4d_oSzcamb9hmamiCDMzBAEwC7E&r=RI5WP1BN1KW_B4HrO2twbFFOhk97OdY6xsy0TwKReZE&m=w8zAMalN5KkrEqWldIB5exoyRWXQ0U-v3Lzdu-3wHus&s=OVt9P_wEuPhbZXu3g3Eu2LL6hkmX57hxgXCGQvg2O48&e=

Privacy Policy - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.rocketsoftware.com_company_legal_privacy-2Dpolicy&d=DwIGaQ&c=UrUhmHsiTVT5qkaA4d_oSzcamb9hmamiCDMzBAEwC7E&r=RI5WP1BN1KW_B4HrO2twbFFOhk97OdY6xsy0TwKReZE&m=w8zAMalN5KkrEqWldIB5exoyRWXQ0U-v3Lzdu-3wHus&s=7xoLAXKdg7c8_cGbcR7TYwIyWACDg-OD69rDgqpHR6k&e=