Putty connection to mainframe
Sabo, Frank
2006-03-23 20:58:34 UTC
Hello everyone.

I have been requested by my management to use PUTTY as a 3270 emulator
on the mainframe instead of rumba as a remote connection over the web
access.

Does anyone out there using PUTTY to access the mainframe, if so, how?
I did use putty to access the test LINUX LPAR that I have up and
running. So far I have only been able to connect to TSO and only as a
single command line, not any of the ISPF panels. I would appreciate any
help I can get.

Thanks

Frank W Sabo Jr
Phone: 412 967-3764
Fax: 412 967-6120
Email: ***@gianteagle.com

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
McKown, John
2006-03-23 21:22:31 UTC
Mike Bell
2006-03-23 21:32:45 UTC
Putty is a telnet replacement not capable of doing 3270.

The only TSO that would work would be the old command line stuff - no ISPF

--
Mike

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jon Brock
2006-03-23 21:47:38 UTC
Putty won't do the trick.

Why do they want you to use it? Surely not to avoid the cost -- tell them to shell out a few bucks for Vista, or pay for it yourself if you have to.

Jon

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Thomas Kern
2006-03-23 21:58:37 UTC
Here is an entry from the VMESA-L/IBMVM list that will get you a nice x3270
emulator for Windows for FREE.

/Tom Kern

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:51:16 -0500, Mike Caughran
I compiled up the most recent version of c3270 and x3270 and
made windows installers for each which include all the
necessary cygwin stuff. This version has support for tn3270ssl.
It worked for me but no warranties expressed or implied
They are at http://www.state.ak.us/tssfiles
Brian Peterson
2006-03-23 22:06:28 UTC
Others have correctly observed that PUTTY does not emulate a 3270.

What is the real requirement? Is it to encrypt all tn3270 traffic between
your workstation and your mainframe? PUTTY can encrypt vanilla telnet to a
unix box - maybe the real requirement is to do SSL for your tn3270 traffic.

If you explain to the list what the real requirement is, the answers you
get back will probably be of much higher quality.

Brian
Thomas Kern
2006-03-24 04:56:37 UTC
His real requirement is to placate the management/network/security folks, but
they just don't know how to phase their demand in IBM mainframese. They
probably really want to stop cleartext userid/password transmission where all
the spies can see them. They network and security folks know that ssh is the
protocol for encrypted terminal sessions for unix (the only real opsys in their
world) and know that putty is a very good ssh program on the Windows desktops
that management makes them use. Therefore when they want the mainframers to
stop sending userid/password in cleartext, they tell you to use putty.

They are right. Just nod your head, say sure and go turn on SSL protected
TN3270 services on the TELNETS port 992. That way the network people can check
their list of well-known ports and see that you really are doing what they
meant to say. The x3270 and c3270 programs as packaged by Mike Caughran from
State of Alaska supports SSL encryption. To turn this on, enter the connection
address as L:ipaddr/name:port, such as L:vm1.hqadmin.doe.gov:992 and you will
have a nice cheap secure tn3270 emulator and your management/network/security
people will be satisfied.

/Tom Kern
http://mail.yahoo.com

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Schramm, Rob
2006-03-23 22:43:53 UTC
Unless you are planning to run x-windows, ssh or telnet to the unix side
of mvs... putty will be pretty useless.

If the need is for USS access, then putty is great to use. I use it all
the time for access to USS via SSH.

-Rob.

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
shmuel+ (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.)
2006-03-27 14:14:21 UTC
In
<***@exchmail01.corp.gianteagle.com>,
on 03/23/2006
Post by Sabo, Frank
I have been requested by my management to use PUTTY as a 3270
emulator on the mainframe instead of rumba as a remote connection
over the web access.
AFAIK there is no such functionality. Why not use x3270 or any of the
other TN3270E clients?

I'd advise you to diplomatically ask management what the real
requirement is and to suggest that you can better satisfy it if they
don't impose what they hope is a solution before analyzing all of the
options.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Rich Smrcina
2006-03-27 14:19:56 UTC
Although technically correct that Putty can not do 3270, if the original
poster can ssh into a Linux machine with the x3270 suite installed, they
can use c3270 to access their 3270 based hosts. c3270 is ncurses based
and should work over a standard telnet/ssh connection.
Post by shmuel+ (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.)
In
on 03/23/2006
Post by Sabo, Frank
I have been requested by my management to use PUTTY as a 3270
emulator on the mainframe instead of rumba as a remote connection
over the web access.
AFAIK there is no such functionality. Why not use x3270 or any of the
other TN3270E clients?
I'd advise you to diplomatically ask management what the real
requirement is and to suggest that you can better satisfy it if they
don't impose what they hope is a solution before analyzing all of the
options.
--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
Main: (262)392-2026
Cell: (414)491-6001
Ans Service: (360)715-2467
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2006 - Chattanooga, TN - April 7-11, 2006

2006-03-27 21:48:10 UTC
Post by Rich Smrcina
Although technically correct that Putty can not do 3270, if the
original poster can ssh into a Linux machine with the x3270 suite
installed, they can use c3270 to access their 3270 based hosts.
Sure, but they can do the same with any other protocol converter.
Putty itself doesn't buy them anything, and it's far more efficient to
simply use a TN3270 client in the first place.

Again, Frank needs to find out what the real objective is.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Wade Curry
2006-04-10 05:34:31 UTC
Post by Rich Smrcina
Although technically correct that Putty can not do 3270, if the
original poster can ssh into a Linux machine with the x3270 suite
installed, they can use c3270 to access their 3270 based hosts.
Sure, but they can do the same with any other protocol converter.
Putty itself doesn't buy them anything, and it's far more efficient to
simply use a TN3270 client in the first place.
Again, Frank needs to find out what the real objective is.
Seems likely to me that one of the suits heard that ssh is secure,
and that putty is a free implementation of it. I find it hard to
believe that the thought process went much further.

I don't recall, was the intent to connect to TSO via ssh? One
thing that I haven't heard mentioned that *may* help here, is using
port forwarding. Putty (and most other ssh implementations) can do
port forwarding. You could well use putty to set up a tunnel that
connects an application on the host to a local port on the
localhost. At that point you could fire up your 3270 client to
connect to that local port. (Caveat: I haven't done this to connect
to TSO before, myself.)

This is a popular method for making secure connections with
protocols that are usually insecure. For example, if you want to
get your e-mail from a server that has IMAP or POP3 (w/o SSL), you
can do something (assuming the server does have sshd running) like
this:

ssh -L2001:localhost:143 servername

This command from the client will create an encrypted tunnelled
connection. The mail-reader connects to localhost port 2001, which
is then caught by the ssh client (putty). The encrypted data goes
over the network to sshd on the server, where the data is
unencrypted and sent to the IMAP server on port 143.

So, applying the same logic to the TSO issue, I'd probably try to
do something like:

ssh -L2001:localhost:23 mainframe_dnsname
(connects to the telnet port)
OR

ssh -L2001:localhost:22 mainframe_dnsname
(tunnels directly to the ssh server, assuming TSO is directly
accessible to ssh logins)

My commands above are formulated for openssh, so translate them to
putty dialog boxes before you use them.

Hope that was helpful to someone.

Wade Curry
AT&T Services, Inc.