CMS style XMITMSG for Unix and other platforms
Rick Troth
2017-12-11 14:43:13 UTC
friends --

VM/CMS* has a wonderful utility driven by 'XMITMSG' (the command) and by
APPLMSG (the macro). If you're a VMer, you know about it. If you're a
VSE or MVS person, maybe not. It's good stuff. For (at least) the second
time, I started putting together an XMITMSG work-alike for Unix (POSIX,
including Linux). Anyone else interested in this? If so, please let me
know.

There are language libraries and message handlers in Unix land. I have
yet to find one that works like XMITMSG and the APPLMSG macro with token
replacement, enumerated messages, clear codes in the handling. Maybe
there is such, in which case my little "xmitmsgx" project might reduce
to simple interoperability glue code. If so, great!

I WAS SHOCKED several years ago to learn that there is no equivalent
function in z/OS. It's an incredibly elegant way to handle localization
(national languages, regional dialects). This project should work on MVS
too; it's simple code.

If you have time and inclination to try this thing (and offer feedback
... or code), please holler. Thanks!

-- R; <><

Rick Troth
2017-12-18 01:50:46 UTC
Aaaand ... it seems to be good enough for download: 'git clone' and then
'make tests'. Works.

https://github.com/trothr/xmitmsgx

You can also find it on Casita.Net:

http://www.casita.net/pub/xmitmsgx/xmitmsgx-2.0.17.tar.gz

I'd like to hear back from someone trying it on USS. Should work fine
with batch or TSO too when using flat filenames.
Realy I'd like to hear back from *anyone* (using it on, e.g., AIX or
Linux or whatever).

-- R; <><
Farley, Peter x23353
2017-12-18 16:25:15 UTC
Hi Rick,

I may not get to try your XMITMSG tool for a while due to other commitments, but the VM facility I miss the most is the SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG facility that permits "server" VM's to run and respond to remote requests from "users". In a prior lifetime my coworkers and I used that facility to implement a nicely featured SCLM for an ISV.

I realize that a git server is the modern incarnation of that concept and git is certainly a much more sophisticated SCLM tool, but it would be interesting anyway to have something resembling SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG available in z/OS.

XMITMSG would be very helpful in a "disconnected server" setup for sure.

2017-12-18 16:45:22 UTC
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Farley, Peter x23353 <
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
Hi Rick,
I may not get to try your XMITMSG tool for a while due to other
commitments, but the VM facility I miss the most is the SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG
facility that permits "server" VM's to run and respond to remote requests
from "users". In a prior lifetime my coworkers and I used that facility to
implement a nicely featured SCLM for an ISV.
I realize that a git server is the modern incarnation of that concept and
git is certainly a much more sophisticated SCLM tool, but it would be
interesting anyway to have something resembling SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG
available in z/OS.
​I would guess that most software which does that would use the QEDIT macro
(
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieaa300/qedit.htm)
and the associated MODIFY operator command. Of course, this is not really a
"general purpose" interface for program to program (IPC) communication.
That's a good job for TCPIP or, in some ways even better, UNIX message
queues (IPC within a single OS).​
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
XMITMSG would be very helpful in a "disconnected server" setup for sure.
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler
2017-12-18 16:58:45 UTC
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
I may not get to try your XMITMSG tool for a while due to other
commitments, but the VM facility I miss the most is the SMSG / WAKEUP
SMSG facility that permits "server" VM's to run and respond to remote
requests from "users". In a prior lifetime my coworkers and I used
that facility to implement a nicely featured SCLM for an ISV.
I realize that a git server is the modern incarnation of that concept
and git is certainly a much more sophisticated SCLM tool, but it would
be interesting anyway to have something resembling SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG
available in z/OS.
XMITMSG would be very helpful in a "disconnected server" setup for sure.
triva: SPM ... special message was a superset of SMSG & IUCV combined.
It was original done for CP/67 by the IBM Pisa Scientific Center ...
and ported to vm370 in POK. I included it in my internal CSC/VM system
distribution for internal datacenters and supported by internal VNET
(even included in the original version shipped to customers). Reference
in this old post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#8
and email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430
more detailed description
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html16

I had also done autolog facility ... originally for doing automated
benchmarks
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#benchmark

but was included in my internal CSC/VM distribution and quickly picked
up for starting "service virtual machines" ... which could use SPM for
doing things like early "automated operator" implementations.

It was used by the author of REXX in his multi-user (client/server)
space wars implementation ... client supported 3270 display and
client/server communication was via SPM. Since VNET internal network
supported SPM ... space war players could be on the same machine or
anyplace on the internal network. One of the problems was bot players
fairly early appeared which were beating all the human players (because
they could make moves much faster). Server was then modified that
increased energy user non-linearly as interval between moves dropped
below some (human) threashold. part of old (client) MFF PLI
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005u.html#4

2017-12-18 17:41:16 UTC
Back in the Paleolithic era IBM ported VMPC to MVS for use by TCP/IP. The Pascal stack has been dead for lo these many years. Is it conceivable that the VMCF port is still present in z/OS V2?

https://secure-web.cisco.com/1569EauQyiUBk0UI-kLr73Tuu_q0uGgwUC6o6G54m_hi6OGCs-qYYVSjKoSYKQD3QMn0V9vZwOa15GRKHwA2fN40NR5koQvP4FdEKHWoseYx0nPtvqhpiR0L8aE3PXDqQbY5FdCi5PbaxahZj6M0Li6U_CYMp41DxVmn6uoGC3SPca3uHccgCC-0NtjE3c7z_Lf2H-zkTXTnQSupTuHh-qigFpGQjwNzZ1sjyeAZh0iqsDvwqv_YVQ14wI_GWMf_pC6c9nQkldJQ9vFcEzcHKvVxDH0nvB1ZiS8MWVUv-19t9u2TA1vZXHkS8PYNwQkPMIIC8p03BvI5LR2JoskT4jT3U-7WtZI-m0AGAlBRiupDN4zUWLuTTZRAESLyQ-dLRQ5M9NDoluzk5ib5Ip8N-HJEOj4wSaS6hjT7D4ihrgL2-YmvPw0IF5TqUOltrc3k-/https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Ftrothr%2Fxmitmsgx

Farley, Peter x23353
2017-12-18 19:18:14 UTC
Interesting question. I do see a VMCF STC on our V2.1 system. Where would one look to find docs on how to use it? Comm Server docs?

2017-12-18 19:24:58 UTC
My guess would be CS, but ICBW.

2017-12-18 19:27:46 UTC
Post by Seymour J Metz
My guess would be CS, but ICBW.
​You're right.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.halz002/ip_vmcf_tnf_config.htm

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 2:19 PM
Interesting question. I do see a VMCF STC on our V2.1 system. Where
would one look to find docs on how to use it? Comm Server docs?
Behalf Of Seymour J Metz
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 12:42 PM
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 11:26 AM
Hi Rick,
I may not get to try your XMITMSG tool for a while due to other
commitments, but the VM facility I miss the most is the SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG
facility that permits "server" VM's to run and respond to remote requests
from "users". In a prior lifetime my coworkers and I used that facility to
implement a nicely featured SCLM for an ISV.
I realize that a git server is the modern incarnation of that concept and
git is certainly a much more sophisticated SCLM tool, but it would be
interesting anyway to have something resembling SMSG / WAKEUP SMSG
available in z/OS.
XMITMSG would be very helpful in a "disconnected server" setup for sure.
Behalf Of Rick Troth
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:52 PM
Post by Rick Troth
[...]
addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler
2017-12-18 19:24:41 UTC
Post by Seymour J Metz
Back in the Paleolithic era IBM ported VMPC to MVS for use by
TCP/IP. The Pascal stack has been dead for lo these many years. Is it
conceivable that the VMCF port is still present in z/OS V2?
I've periodically commented about how how the communication group was
going to be responsible for the demise of the disk division
... communication group had corporate strategic responsibility
("stranglehold") for everything crossed datacenter walls and was
fiercely fighting off distributed computing and client/server (trying to
preserve their dumb terminal paradigm). some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#terminal

Part of this was doing its best to prevent shipping TCP/IP. Eventually
it shipped but only got 44kbytes/sec transfer using whole 3090 cpu. I
did the enhancements for rfc1044 and in some throughput tests at Cray
research, got mbyte/sec channel speed throughput between 4341 and Cray
using only modest amount of 4341 processor (possibly 500 times
improvement in cpu used per bytes moved) ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#1044

sometime later, it was ported to MVS by emulating VM370 function on
MVS. However later, the communication group hired subcontractor to add
TCP/IP support to VTAM. His initial implementation had TCP/IP performing
much faster than LU6.2. He was told that everybody "knows" that a
"correct" TCP/IP implementation is much slower than LU6.2 and they would
only be paying for a "correct" implementation.

recent post in thread
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017k.html#37 CMS style XMITMSG for Unix and other platforms
recent post about communication group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017k.html#34 Bad History

Edward Gould
2017-12-20 05:00:11 UTC
Post by Seymour J Metz
Back in the Paleolithic era IBM ported VMPC to MVS for use by
TCP/IP. The Pascal stack has been dead for lo these many years. Is it
conceivable that the VMCF port is still present in z/OS V2?
Seymour,

Thanks for reminding me to ask a question that I have never gotten IBM to answer. Whenever I have ordered TCP/IP I have always had to order PASCAL runtime library. Since we have lost SE’s and salesmen are now non existent. There is no one left to answer this question. About 20 years ago, I asked IBM and was told that in order to answer this we would have to hire an IBM contractor and the minimum cost would be $1000. I said no thanks and just continued ordering it, The cost was small IIRC so it never reached VP approval.
What is the reason why we have to order the PASCAL library?

Ed

Anne & Lynn Wheeler
2017-12-20 06:02:09 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Thanks for reminding me to ask a question that I have never gotten IBM
to answer. Whenever I have ordered TCP/IP I have always had to order
PASCAL runtime library. Since we have lost SE’s and salesmen are now
non existent. There is no one left to answer this question. About 20
years ago, I asked IBM and was told that in order to answer this we
would have to hire an IBM contractor and the minimum cost would be
$1000. I said no thanks and just continued ordering it, The cost was
small IIRC so it never reached VP approval. What is the reason why we
have to order the PASCAL library?
re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017k.html#37 CMS style XMITMSG for Unix and other platforms
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017k.html#38 CMS style XMITMSG for Unix and other platforms

the mainframe TCP/IP product implementation was originally done in
Pascal/VS ... the mainframe pascal originally by two people in the Los
Gatos lab using Metaware's TWS for internal VLSI tool implementation

This implementation had none of the buffer exploits that are notoriously
epidemic in C-language implementations.

5735-HAL IBM TCP/IP FOR MVS Version 2.2 (no longer available 13Dec1994)
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=dd&subtype=sm&htmlfid=897/ENUS5735-HAL

Enhanced Socket Library

TCP/IP Version 2 for MVS has a more extensive socket library than
provided by Version 1. This extended Socket Library support, based on
Berkeley Socket Library**, BSD 4.3*, removes the requirement for the
PASCAL Runtime library since all sockets are written to the C language
interface. This support facilitates the port of UNIX** applications to
the System/370*.

however later on it says running in "31 bit mode", pascal run time
library is required.

10Sep1996 TCP/IP v3r2 for MVS/ESA
https://www-304.ibm.com/jct01003c/cgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&htmlfid=897/ENUS296-317&appname=usn&language=enus

Note: IBM TCP/IP Version 3 Release 2 for MVS/ESA does not include the
Pascal FTP server as stated in Software Announcement 294-529, dated
September 13, 1994. Customers should migrate to the C FTP server prior
to installing TCP/IP Version 3 Release 2.

this (updated 4Dec2017) mentions a pascal version SMTP & Pascal Sockets
API

This says pascal just needed for user written programs that
interface to TCP/UDP/IP
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.e0zb100/pgmreqs.htm

same here
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.e0zb100/pgmreqs.htm

Tony Harminc
2017-12-20 17:11:25 UTC
The (current - z/OS 2.3) "z/OS Communications Server: IP Sockets
Application Programming Interface Guide and Reference"
still contains a diagram that hasn't changed for at least ten years,
despite a long ago RFC and discussion with the tech writers:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.hala001/socketlib.htm

It shows the Pascal API as the only one that doesn't use the UNIX
"BPX" sockets API for its underlying services. Whether this diagram is
still close to correct, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if the
Pascal API now talks to the BPX layer, rather than having a private
lower level interface to TCP/IP transport services.

Tony H.
Rick Troth
2017-12-22 23:17:38 UTC
Those following the XMITMSGX saga, please find the 2.0.19 release on the
web site ...

http://www.casita.net/pub/xmitmsgx/xmitmsgx-2.0.19.tar.gz

The GitHub project is ...

https://github.com/trothr/xmitmsgx

Thanks to several contributors, especially John McKown for driving it on
USS.

Merry Christmas to all!

-- Sir Santa; <><