VTAM SWNET LU status question
Add Reply
Tony Thigpen
2017-08-30 11:20:06 UTC
I have a SWNET PU which attaches to an AS400. The AS400 acts as a print
controller with about 200 printer sessions. in this SWNET PU.

We are adding a new LU, but it will not connect. My LU definition is
identical to the previously added printer.

Existing, working printer:
ICU1P634 LU LOCADDR=181,ISTATUS=ACTIVE,
DLOGMOD=RS3262
New, not-working printer:
ICU1P635 LU LOCADDR=214,ISTATUS=ACTIVE,
DLOGMOD=RS3262

Output of a STATUS command for the non-working printer:
06.14.18 HUP1 d net,id=ICU1P635
06.14.18 HUP1 STC06991 IST097I DISPLAY ACCEPTED
06.14.18 HUP1 STC06991 IST075I NAME = APPN.ICU1P635, TYPE = LOGICAL UNIT
IST486I STATUS= ACTIV----D, DESIRED STATE= ACTIV
IST1447I REGISTRATION TYPE = NETSRVR
IST977I MDLTAB=***NA*** ASLTAB=***NA***
IST861I MODETAB=MODEHUS3 USSTAB=ISTINCNO LOGTAB=***NA***
IST934I DLOGMOD=RS3262 USS LANGTAB=***NA***
IST597I CAPABILITY-PLU INHIBITED,SLU ENABLED ,SESSION LIMIT 00000001
IST136I SWITCHED SNA MAJOR NODE = SWPUF43
IST081I LINE NAME = LE213000, LINE GROUP = GRPPUF43, MAJNOD = XCAPUF43
IST135I PHYSICAL UNIT = PUF43
IST082I DEVTYPE = LU
IST654I I/O TRACE = OFF, BUFFER TRACE = OFF
IST1500I STATE TRACE = OFF
IST171I ACTIVE SESSIONS = 0000000000, SESSION REQUESTS = 0000000000
IST314I END

There is a new programmer on the AS/400. The person that has done this
in the past is gone. I don't know if they have a bad definition or they
have not started something right on their end.

When I display the SWNET node, the status shows:
ICU1P635 ACTIV----D

What does ACTIV----D indicate?

Any thoughts for debugging this?
--
Tony Thigpen

Attila Fogarasi
2017-08-30 12:14:30 UTC
The PLU INHIBITED status shows that activation failed with some error sense
sent by the device, you should be able to find a sense code message earlier
at time of activation. To debug you need to trace the x/'0C' control
vector on NOTIFY or ACTLU RU. Run VTAM internal trace with OPT=PIU or a
BUFFER trace of the LU. Bottom line is that the printer responded that it
was not capable with some part of the DLOGMODE (which suggests an AS/400
wrong definition for that device, different from the working ones unless
the printer hardware requires some difference).
Cieri, Anthony
2017-08-30 16:52:02 UTC
The extended status (the D in the tenth position) means that this resource was added or moved using Dynamic Reconfiguration.

If the VTAM resource was built dynamically, it is possible that the analogous resource on the as/400 was NOT started.

One other thought is that I noticed that the new LU does NOT have the next consecutive number for the LOCADDR ( 181 vs 214). These number do NOT have to be assigned in consecutive order, but they DO HAVE to match. So this LOCADDR must match to a corresponding Device address on the AS/400. A mis-match on the LOCADDR is enough to prevent the remote device from connecting!!!

Mike Wawiorko
2017-08-31 08:47:16 UTC
BARCLAYS CLASSIFICATION: Internal Only

The VTAM status is exactly what you'd expect for a working dependent LU.

IST097I DISPLAY ACCEPTED
IST075I NAME = APPN.ICU1P635, TYPE = LOGICAL UNIT IST486I STATUS= ACTIV----D, DESIRED STATE= ACTIV

As already explained ACTIV----D means VTAM has added this LU with dynamic reconfiguration and received a positive response to ACTLU from the dependent LU at LOCADDR=214. At the SNA levels there is a match here. It says little about mapping LOCADDR=214 to the correct print definition at the AS400 - only that LOCADDR=214 is defined.

IST1447I REGISTRATION TYPE = NETSRVR
IST977I MDLTAB=***NA*** ASLTAB=***NA*** IST861I MODETAB=MODEHUS3 USSTAB=ISTINCNO LOGTAB=***NA*** IST934I DLOGMOD=RS3262 USS LANGTAB=***NA*** IST597I CAPABILITY-PLU INHIBITED,SLU ENABLED ,SESSION LIMIT 00000001

A dependent LU can never be a primary LU so PLU inhibited is expected and normal.

SLU enabled means that the secondary LU is active and the AS/400 is NOT reporting issues with the LU or process within the AS400 behind the SLU. If there were a problem being reported with SNA protocols we might see SLU DISABLED.

IST136I SWITCHED SNA MAJOR NODE = SWPUF43 IST081I LINE NAME = LE213000, LINE GROUP = GRPPUF43, MAJNOD = XCAPUF43 IST135I PHYSICAL UNIT = PUF43 IST082I DEVTYPE = LU IST654I I/O TRACE = OFF, BUFFER TRACE = OFF IST1500I STATE TRACE = OFF IST171I ACTIVE SESSIONS = 0000000000, SESSION REQUESTS = 0000000000 IST314I END

Sorry, can't help beyond the SNA parts of your questions.

Mike Wawiorko

Post by Tony Thigpen
[...]

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free. The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.

Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays Group.

Barclays Bank PLC. Registered in England and Wales (registered no. 1026167). Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United Kingdom.

Barclays Bank PLC is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 122702).