Consolidate Consoles
Add Reply
Tony Thigpen
2017-11-27 19:56:54 UTC
I have been asked about "Console Consolidation" for our multiple zOS
LPARs. Management wants to know what is available that will let us have
one display with all the console traffic from 5 LPARs. They are
envisioning a PC based solution, but we have the ability to run
something on zVM. (These z/OS LPARs are not under z/VM, but we have z/VM
on another CPU with NJE interconnection.)

Thoughts?
--
Tony Thigpen

Allan Staller
2017-11-27 19:58:45 UTC
SYSTEM LOGGER (operlog)

2017-11-27 20:02:01 UTC
Post by Tony Thigpen
I have been asked about "Console Consolidation" for our multiple zOS
LPARs. Management wants to know what is available that will let us have one
display with all the console traffic from 5 LPARs. They are envisioning a
PC based solution, but we have the ability to run something on zVM. (These
z/OS LPARs are not under z/VM, but we have z/VM on another CPU with NJE
interconnection.)
Thoughts?
​The simplest way is to have all your LPARs in a single sysplex. That
automatically makes messages from every LPAR available to every other
LPAR.​ If you run a parallel sysplex, then, as Allan said, use OPERLOG
instead of SYSLOG for recording.
Post by Tony Thigpen
--
Tony Thigpen

Tony Thigpen

Carmen Vitullo
2017-11-27 20:37:22 UTC
Then I would assume BMC's MainView CM solution - or the SuperVision solution could help
http://www.secureagent.com/SV-index.htm

Carmen

Jousma, David
2017-11-27 20:05:52 UTC
OSAICC?

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ioaq100/ioaq10012.htm

You don’t mention what your configuration is. You also don’t say if you want 5 different consoles running on the same PC? Or output from 5 systems combined into one? 5 systems in the same sysplex?

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

I have been asked about "Console Consolidation" for our multiple zOS LPARs. Management wants to know what is available that will let us have one display with all the console traffic from 5 LPARs. They are envisioning a PC based solution, but we have the ability to run something on zVM. (These z/OS LPARs are not under z/VM, but we have z/VM on another CPU with NJE interconnection.)

Thoughts?
--
Tony Thigpen

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Allan Staller
2017-11-27 20:21:43 UTC
OSA/ICC will not do what the OP wants.

Jousma, David

[...]

E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission. The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
Views or opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately.

Allan Staller
2017-11-27 21:05:33 UTC

Jackson, Rob
2017-11-27 20:09:13 UTC
We have BMC's MainView CM, a very nice product that provides console consolidation, LDAP-controlled operator logons, command auditing, and automation (it interfaces with the HMC, as well). We run it on RHEL on x86, though I believe you could run it on any Linux.

First Tennessee Bank
Mainframe Technical Support
1638 Robert C Jackson Dr
Maryville, TN 37801
O: 865-977-5343
I have been asked about "Console Consolidation" for our multiple zOS LPARs. Management wants to know what is available that will let us have one display with all the console traffic from 5 LPARs. They are envisioning a PC based solution, but we have the ability to run something on zVM. (These z/OS LPARs are not under z/VM, but we have z/VM on another CPU with NJE interconnection.)

Thoughts?
--
Tony Thigpen

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

Carmen Vitullo
2017-11-27 20:15:31 UTC
along those same lines we use SuperVision consoles, ICC interface to the server, and client connections to the consoles, I've consolidated the consoles down to one NIP (master by name only) for each system and one alternate.
you can use one of their console controllers and your own emulator if you like , you don't have to use the server/client setup, but it's more secure, LDAP mananged

http://www.secureagent.com/supervision-a.htm

Carmen

Porowski, Kenneth
2017-11-27 21:19:10 UTC
A single PC with multiple 3270 sessions to an ICC would work, just get a monitor(s) big enough to see/read all the sessions at the same time.

Tony Thigpen
2017-11-28 00:56:31 UTC
That is what I initially suggested. Then they said "but can we do it
with one session window open?" Thus my question.

Tony Thigpen
2017-11-28 04:57:45 UTC
A bit far-fetched, but:

Create a HLLAPI application that reads a number of minimized ICC
terminal emulators and piles all the console messages into a single
display. Use a different text color for each - just like sysplexed
consoles do.

For command input, have the operator open that particular emulator
window. That way you avoid HLLAPI code for command input and routing,
and (more importantly) you force the user to focus their attention on
one system. Once the command is entered, minimize the emulator window
and the big HLLAPI application with all the messages shows again.
Tony Thigpen

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2017-11-28 07:35:30 UTC
I realize this is a bit 'out there' but CA's Solve: Operations has something called OCS.

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

I have been asked about "Console Consolidation" for our multiple zOS
LPARs. Management wants to know what is available that will let us
have one display with all the console traffic from 5 LPARs. They are
envisioning a PC based solution, but we have the ability to run
something on zVM. (These z/OS LPARs are not under z/VM, but we have
z/VM on another CPU with NJE interconnection.)
Thoughts?
--
Tony Thigpen
-- For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
-- For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
- For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
IBM-MAIN

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

2017-11-28 15:19:13 UTC
We have used VCC for decades to present consoles from multiple sysplexes a single screen. Software runs on Linux. Operator can select which sysplex console to display. No host software required.

Wayne Bickerdike
2017-11-28 18:17:53 UTC
Not too far out there...
*realize this is a bit 'out there' but CA's Solve: Operations has
something called OCS.*

*– VigneshMainframe Infrastructure*

We use CA-Solve OCS. Additionally our ops use PCOMM on old Win XP machines
with multiple sessions/windows for each LPAR in our Sysplex.

I expect that the CA-Solve solution costs too much and the OP wants a cheap
solution.

Our PCOMM/Console sessions are attached via ICC.

I like Tom Brennans suggestion too.
Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
We have used VCC for decades to present consoles from multiple sysplexes a
single screen. Software runs on Linux. Operator can select which sysplex
console to display. No host software required.
Behalf Of Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 11:37 PM

Bill Bishop , TMNA
2017-11-29 16:59:38 UTC
CA also has a product call Automation Point.

It does cost, not sure if it is beyond your budget or not.

It does take all console traffic and displays it on a single screen. It uses a server to host the base product and display the message traffic. It can provide remote access to the server so a second console can be used to view messages.

It can also support additional downstream message management.

I use it to consolidate traffic for 9 LPARs, and with all the message suppression, it is very easy to manage.

Thanks

Bill Bishop
Consultant, Mainframe Engineer
Mainframe and Scheduling | Infrastructure Technology Services
Toyota Motor North America
***@toyota.com
Office: (469) 292-5149

Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 11:37 PM

Jim Beck
2017-12-01 17:14:18 UTC
We use Attachmate's InfoConnect on a Windows 7 PC, which allows multiple sessions within a single window. Each LPAR has a primary and alternate ICC consoles defined. The PC has each primary console active in the one window always up whenever the PC is up.

Jim