Looking for mainframe shops Lexington/Cincinnati
Joel M Ivey
2017-08-27 02:57:59 UTC
Would appreciate info on zos shops in Lexington KY and Cincinnati OH, for possible relo.
What mainframe shops are there???

Thanks,
Joel
Columbia SC

Steve Smith
2017-08-27 15:04:21 UTC
Fifth Third Bank is one of the biggest in Cincinnati, as well as their
spin-off Vantiv Corp., up in the northeastern suburbs. LexisNexis is
further north, near Dayton.

sas

Donald J
2017-08-28 17:27:35 UTC
Toyota used to be in Georgetown KY.
WPAFB used to hire a lot of mainframe contractors.
There are also a couple of insurance companies in Cincinnati.
Cincinnati bell possibly.
State of KY might have a mainframe in Frankfort.
There is a federal site in Fort Knox with mainframes, might be Army.

Burrell, Todd
2017-08-28 17:29:54 UTC
I believe Kroger has a shop in Cincinnati.

Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 9:59 PM
From: "Joel M Ivey" <***@CIO.SC.GOV>
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Looking for mainframe shops Lexington/Cincinnati Would appreciate info on zos shops in Lexington KY and Cincinnati OH, for possible relo.
What mainframe shops are there???

Thanks,
Joel
Columbia SC

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address. Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.

Rob Schramm
2017-08-28 17:34:49 UTC
Vantiv has been looking for a capacity planner for a while.

Steve Smith
2017-08-28 20:26:45 UTC
I forgot about Kroger, and P&G. Both are headquartered here. US Bank
may still have some operations in town (vestiges of a big local bank
they acquired many years ago). Great American Insurance may be a
player.

To be honest, I'm ridiculously uninformed about the place I've lived
for 30 years. For the past five years, I've been a remote hermit, and
have no colleagues, much less offices, within 500 miles. (afaik)

sas
Burrell, Todd
2017-08-28 22:03:10 UTC
I also believe someone mentioned For Knox - I believe HPE has that contract for the mainframe. Or DXC now that they merged with CSC.

Chris Hoelscher
2017-08-29 01:16:23 UTC
Actually fort Knox proper is on the SW side of Louisville - if Louisville falls within an acceptable area, I know a shop where system folks are retiring within the next year ...

Chris Hoelscher
Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services
Technology Solution Services

123 East Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202
Humana.com
(502) 476-2538 or 407-7266

Post by Burrell, Todd
I believe Kroger has a shop in Cincinnati.

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the intended addressee. Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please immediately delete it and notify sender at the above CSX email address. Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.

and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material. If you receive this material/information in error,

Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and
do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or
sex. Humana Inc. and its subsidiaries do not exclude people or treat them differently
because of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex.

English: ATTENTION: If you do not speak English, language assistance services, free
of charge, are available to you. Call 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

Español (Spanish): ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios
gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

繁體中文(Chinese):注意:如果您使用繁體中文,您可以免費獲得語言援助
服務。請致電 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711)。

Kreyòl Ayisyen (Haitian Creole): ATANSION: Si w pale Kreyòl Ayisyen, gen sèvis èd
pou lang ki disponib gratis pou ou. Rele 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

Polski (Polish): UWAGA: Jeżeli mówisz po polsku, możesz skorzystać z bezpłatnej
pomocy językowej. Zadzwoń pod numer 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711).

한국어 (Korean): 주의: 한국어를 사용하시는 경우, 언어 지원 서비스를 무료로
이용하실 수 있습니다. 1‐877‐320‐1235 (TTY: 711)번으로 전화해 주십시오.

Todd Arnold
2017-08-29 12:15:23 UTC
I asked some IBM coworkers of mine who are located in Lexington. Here's what they had to say:

"One person thought of the University of Kentucky here in Lexington. Also, in Central Kentucky, I know of NTT Data (Frankfort), Booz Allen (Radcliff), and Humana (Louisville). Louisville/Cincinnati probably hold out the most opportunities.

I did see this job posting for Fort Knox:

https://sts-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=1317&company_id=16728&version=1&jobBoardId=3338

Army base in Fort Knox and vendors who facilitate such..."

Allan Staller
2017-08-29 13:15:08 UTC
WKRP? <G>

::DISCLAIMER::

Dan @ Poodles
2017-08-29 14:41:01 UTC
“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.”

2017-08-29 23:02:56 UTC
Post by Allan Staller
WKRP? <G>
I was easting Thanksgiving dinner when I saw that episode. I laughed so hard the food came flying out of my mouth. I don’t think I have ever laughed that hard.

Ed
Joel M Ivey
2017-08-31 02:07:45 UTC
Thank you to all. Several good leads for me. I appreciate it. I'm looking hard at the Fort Knox opp, but also hoping to find something there in the Lexington area.

Bill Bishop , TMNA
2017-08-31 12:57:33 UTC
Joel;

Lexington is going to be very tough.

The only zOS shops in the area are the State of Kentucky in Frankfort, Toyota in Georgetown, Ashland Oil and Lexmark, both in Lexington itself.

I have also heard that there is an old system at University of Kentucky Medical Center.

Toyota is supported out of Plano, Texas now. Lexmark is all outsourced to IBM.

There are several sites in Louisville. Besides those mentioned already, there is Kentucky Farm Bureau and Yum Brands that I know of. There may be more.

Pickings are slim in Lexington. That is why I took the move from Georgetown to Plano. I was not ready to retire yet.

Thanks

Bill Bishop
Consultant, Mainframe Engineer
Mainframe and Scheduling | Infrastructure Technology Services
Toyota Motor North America
***@toyota.com
Office: (469) 292-5149
2017-08-31 14:53:00 UTC
You missed nothing with the exodus of the toyota mainframe. A bunch of
geriatric IMS systems running probanly 5 transactions an hour..

If you are looking for interesting work with interesting people to do it
with I would keep the IBM mainframe firmly in the rear-view mirror.
Steve Horein
2017-09-01 04:01:57 UTC
Aren't you just a ray of sunshine!
Are you one of those "interesting" people?
Post by Beverly Caldwell
You missed nothing with the exodus of the toyota mainframe. A bunch of
geriatric IMS systems running probanly 5 transactions an hour..
If you are looking for interesting work with interesting people to do it
with I would keep the IBM mainframe firmly in the rear-view mirror.
zMan
2017-09-01 14:16:55 UTC
Hey, I'm as much a mainframe bigot as the next geek, but she has a point
these days. IBM seems hell-bent on killing z and, for that matter, itself.
Hard to see a ray of sunshine at the end of the current tunnel.
Donald J
2017-08-31 19:51:19 UTC
Post by Bill Bishop , TMNA
I have also heard that there is an old system at University of Kentucky Medical Center
I had a phone interview with them about 6 years ago.
They were making all there IT employees "re-apply" for their current positions and compete
with outsiders for their positions.   I have never heard of that type of process being done anywhere else.

Nims,Alva John , Al
2017-08-31 21:05:58 UTC
I've done the re-apply for my job, but it was NOT posted outside of the company.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida