setrog lnklst question
Add Reply
william janulin
2017-05-16 21:01:14 UTC
To list;
 Is it possible to add a dataset to the active lnklst? I tried a setprog lnklst add command and got a messagethat the lnklst was active.

Thank you in advance, Bill J.

Gibney, Dave
2017-05-16 21:03:46 UTC
You have to use SETPROG to make a copy of the active list, add your new library and activate the new list.

Read all the special caveats
2017-05-16 22:18:40 UTC
You can create a parmlib member to

COPY the current linklst to a new name
Activate the new linklist name

If you need further assistance let us know.

Sent: May 16, 2017 1:52 PM
2017-05-16 22:23:45 UTC
So an EXAMPLE would be

/* */
/* Adding a dataset to the LINKLIST when it */
/* does not already exist */
/* */
LNKLST DEFINE NAME(NEWLNKA) COPYFROM(CURRENT)
LNKLST ADD NAME(NEWLNKA) DSNAME(SYS1.NEWDSN.INLNK.LIST),
AFTER(SYS1.LOCTION.INLNK.LIST)
LNKLST DELETE NAME(NEWLNKA) DSNAME(SYS1.DELETE.THIS.LNKLST.DSN)
LNKLST ACTIVATE NAME(NEWLNKA)
LNKLST UPDATE JOB(*)
APF ADD DSNAME(SYS1.NEWDSN.INLNK.LIST) VOLUME(&SYSR3)

APF ADD is not needed if the file being added is already APF Authorized. DELETE is not needed if you are not removing anything from the Linklst.

Sent: May 16, 2017 1:52 PM
Gibney, Dave
2017-05-16 23:10:10 UTC
And the LNKLST UPDATE JOB(*) is documented as potentially dangerous.

On the other hand, so far, I haven't have need to modify my linklst and effect all running address spaces. It's usually limited to a smaller subset.
2017-05-17 04:58:38 UTC
UPDATE JOB(*) is dangerous. And was discussed in the IBM MAIN Archives, a couple of years ago I think.

However, we use it with no ill effect.

UPDATE
Indicates that the system is to update an address space so that a specified job or jobs associated with that space can use the current LNKLST set. If the job is using another LNKLST set when the current LNKLST set is activated, it will continue to use the original LNKLST set until it completes operations. When the job completes and restarts, it then uses the data sets defined in the new currently active LNKLST set. See "Removing or Compressing a Data Set in an Active LNKLST Set" in z/OS MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference for information about LLA management of the LNKLST data set.

Be careful when you use UPDATE. Updating an address space while a program in that address space is fetching a module can cause the fetch to fail or to locate an incorrect copy of the module. The system does not attempt to verify the validity of the data for UPDATE.
Start of changeJOBNAME | JOB=jobnameEnd of change
Specifies the name of the job or jobs to update. You can use wildcard characters (? or *) for jobname. UPDATE updates any job whose name matches the specified criteria. The system compares jobname to the name of any initiated job or jobs that match, or to the name of the address space.

Dangle your foot in the fire. If it does not burn you are okay, If it does, take it out

Behalf Of Gibney, Dave
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:10 PM
Sent: May 16, 2017 3:19 PM
2017-05-17 11:56:19 UTC
<snip>
and the LNKLST UPDATE JOB(*) is documented as potentially dangerous.
</snip>

If you're lucky, nothing bad will happen. If you're really unlucky, you
will trash your system. And all sorts of variants in between.
The operation is unpredictably dangerous. The effects depend on what
happens to be going on at the time.

If you use it, you will get no sympathy (or support) if something bad
happens. The only safe thing to do is not to use that option.
New jobs and new address spaces will use the newly activated LNKLST
without this option.

You might check out the DELAY sub-option of LNKLST UPDATE. There is no way
of knowing how long might be necessary to delay before the system is to
clean up. And the command will not complete until the delay ends.

Why is it provided at all? Because sometimes you're willing to take a risk
if your only choice is re-IPL.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

2017-05-17 15:07:22 UTC
Peter,

Thanks. That was much clearer than the manual.

Behalf Of Peter Relson
william janulin
2017-05-17 15:26:09 UTC
Thank you all for your help on my linklst question. I went the 'safe' route and built a new lnklst and added the datasets I need for DB2 v12.
Thanks again, Bill J.

2017-05-17 14:37:57 UTC
One of my favorite campfire routines.

She: Pa, ya gotcher foot in the fahr.
Pause
She: Pa, ya gotcher foot in the fahr.
Pause
She: (Emphatically) Pa, ya gotcher foot in the fahr!
He: Yeah Ma? Which one?

[...]

On Behalf Of Gibney, Dave
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:10 PM
Mark Zelden
2017-05-17 17:47:57 UTC
Post by Gibney, Dave
And the LNKLST UPDATE JOB(*) is documented as potentially dangerous.
On the other hand, so far, I haven't have need to modify my linklst and effect all
running address spaces. It's usually limited to a smaller subset.
Yet I continue to see people using it as a matter of habit instead of an "emergency"
basis. The only place I have used it regularly is in a sysprog sandbox LPAR and since
"delay" was added as an option, I use that along with it.

LNKLST UPDATE JOB(*) DELAY(5)

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:***@mzelden.com
Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/
2017-05-17 19:06:47 UTC
More important, has anyone actually experienced a problem with JOB(*)?

--
Mark Zelden - Zelden Consulting Services - z/OS, OS/390 and MVS ITIL v3 Foundation Certified mailto:***@mzelden.com Mark's MVS Utilities: http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html
Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/

Jim Mulder
2017-05-17 19:43:11 UTC
Yes, I have spent way too much time looking at dumps that were
caused by this (enough so that I persuaded Peter Relson to
make a change in z/OS 2.2 so that a DELAY(1) is done if a delay
value larger than 1 was not specified). That has helped a lot.
But you could easily have a fetching operation that takes
longer than 1 second (or any arbitrary number of seconds)
due to things like a reserve on the device, or the job getting
logically swapped due to workload considerations.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY
Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
More important, has anyone actually experienced a problem with JOB(*)?
] On Behalf Of Mark Zelden
Mark Zelden
2017-05-17 19:50:59 UTC
More important, has anyone actually experienced a problem with JOB(*)?
I don't think that's more important. What's more important is that the experts
at IBM (the people that write the code and have the manuals updated) have
stated that it is dangerous. I don't care if 1000 people on IBM-MAIN say
they have never had a problem. Murphy doesn't really like me. :-)

Besides that, I doubt "DELAY" would have been developed / added for
no reason at all because someone felt it would be a good idea just
in case to help resolve a theoretical problem.

Regards,

2017-05-17 20:42:02 UTC
You can calculate the odds of getting hit by space debris on 5th Avenue, but a nonzero probability would not impel you to live in a bunker. Friday preview: an episode of Northern Exposure centered on the funeral of a fellow who was actually that unlucky. Impossible to find a conventional coffin that could hide all the antennae sticking out in all directions. Morbidly hilarious.

Omegamon (Candle days) provide a dynamic linklist update facility. Offered with all the caveats of the current IBM function. Not sure I ever used it, but I remember ragging on IBM to provide a similar facility many years before they did.

I think it's especially rare that a linklist update would really need JOBS(*) anyway. Dr. Murphy does like to be taunted.

2017-05-17 23:48:18 UTC
This Guy? https://www.themarysue.com/the-sky-is-falling/

... the apparent meteorite struck a college campus in Tamil Nadu in
southern India. A 40 year old bus driver named Kamaraj died while a
student and two gardeners nearby were injured. There was an impact
crater 4 feet deep containing “bluish black” rock fragments, according
to the statement from the college’s principal, G. Baskar.

Laurie Cantillo, a NASA spokeswoman, said that they’re still testing
the object to make sure it’s a meteorite and not a random bit of space
junk or debris. “Our Planetary Defense Coordination Office is aware of
the reports and is looking into it,” she said. “So at this point the
report is unconfirmed.”

2017-05-18 00:51:34 UTC
Not funny. Search Google on

northern exposure satellite episode

Confirmation not required.

Post by Jesse 1 Robinson
You can calculate the odds of getting hit by space debris on 5th Avenue, but a nonzero probability would not impel you to live in a bunker. Friday preview: an episode of Northern Exposure centered on the funeral of a fellow who was actually that unlucky. Impossible to find a conventional coffin that could hide all the antennae sticking out in all directions. Morbidly hilarious.
Omegamon (Candle days) provide a dynamic linklist update facility. Offered with all the caveats of the current IBM function. Not sure I ever used it, but I remember ragging on IBM to provide a similar facility many years before they did.
I think it's especially rare that a linklist update would really need JOBS(*) anyway. Dr. Murphy does like to be taunted.
On Behalf Of Mark Zelden

Peter Relson
2017-05-18 13:56:28 UTC
UPDATE JOB(*) is dangerous....
However, we use it with no ill effect.
To be picky, that cannot be a wholly correct statement. What might be
correct is that you have observed no ill effects in the times that you
have used it so far.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design