JCL System symbols
Add Reply
Bill Ashton
2017-05-05 13:37:57 UTC
Hi again...I have searched, and must be looking for the wrong thing, so I
hope you can help me.

Is there a system symbol I can use in my DSN that has the current date in
it? I understand the implications of cross-date boundaries, etc., and am
looking to try something using the date in my dataset name.

Also, do I need to export the symbol if it is a system symbol, or can I use
it in JCL and control cards without the export?

Thanks again, and have a great, sunny weekend!
--
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*

Carmen Vitullo
2017-05-05 13:42:55 UTC
Bill I have a proc that starts @ IPL time to copy parmlib datasets to a backup using date time

i use this

//CLEAN EXEC PGM=IDCAMS,
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *,SYMBOLS=EXECSYS <--------
DEL 'ATTS.PROD.&SYSNAME..IPLINFO'
/*
//IPLINFO EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,REGION=0M,PARM='IPLINFO',
// DYNAMNBR=99,ACCT=(S,0602,0599)
//SYSEXEC DD DSN=TS.USER.REXX,DISP=SHR
//SYSTSPRT DD DSN=ATTS.PROD.&SYSNAME..IPLINFO,DISP=(,CATLG),
// UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(TRK,(25,5),RLSE),
// RECFM=FBA,LRECL=134,BLKSIZE=0
//SYSTSIN DD DUMMY
//*
//IEBCOPY1 EXEC PGM=IEBCOPY,REGION=2M,TIME=10
//SYSUT1 DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.SYSC.PARMLIB
//SYSUT2 DD DISP=(,CATLG),
// DSN=ATTS.PROD.SYSC.D&LYYMMDD..T&LHHMMSS..PARMLIB,
// UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(CYL,(10,1,75),RLSE)
//SYSIN DD DUMMY

Bill Ashton
2017-05-05 13:49:24 UTC
Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!

On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I
don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

Thanks!

Carmen Vitullo
2017-05-05 13:54:05 UTC
Excellent, glad I could help

Carmen

Richards, Robert B.
2017-05-05 13:54:22 UTC
SYM command in SDSF is you are current...

2017-05-05 13:57:20 UTC
Or you can enter

D SYMBOLS from the console (SDSF Line command or MVS operator command)

Lizette
2017-05-05 13:55:00 UTC
Post by Bill Ashton
Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!
On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I
don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieae200/dynpsm.htm

​The key phrase is "dynamic system symbols"

&LYYMMDD == 170505 for today 5 May 2017, local time
&YYMMDD == 170505 for GMT of today, 5 May 2017. May be different from
&LYYMMDD based on TZ.
&LHHMMSS == hhmmss (08:54:10 here in Texas right now)
&HHMMSS == hhmmss in GMT (13:54:10 equivalent "instant" as above).

​From experimentation on a single system (no NJE available), this is
resolve by the converter when the JCL is "expanded" from what was submitted
into the internal CI form.​
Post by Bill Ashton
Thanks!
Post by Carmen Vitullo
it in JCL and control cards without the export?
Thanks again, and have a great, sunny weekend!
--
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Carmen Vitullo
2017-05-05 14:01:36 UTC
just now reading the rest of you response, sorry A.D.D. kicking in
I think I found what I needed searching for using symbols in JCL and brought me to the KB,
to see what system symbols are available on your system
MVS command 'D SYMBOLS'

Carmen

Farley, Peter x23353
2017-05-05 14:24:44 UTC
Just out of curiosity, is there a way for those of us without console authority to get the current list of symbols on the system?

I tried the SDSF SYM command suggested earlier, but SDSFAUX is not running on our system so it fails.

If it matters, we are z/OS 2.1 here.

Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!

On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I
don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

Thanks!
Post by Carmen Vitullo
backup using date time
i use this
<Snipped>

Richards, Robert B.
2017-05-05 14:27:51 UTC
TASID, MXI, SHOWZOS

Just out of curiosity, is there a way for those of us without console authority to get the current list of symbols on the system?

I tried the SDSF SYM command suggested earlier, but SDSFAUX is not running on our system so it fails.

If it matters, we are z/OS 2.1 here.

just now reading the rest of you response, sorry A.D.D. kicking in I think I found what I needed searching for using symbols in JCL and brought me to the KB, to see what system symbols are available on your system MVS command 'D SYMBOLS'

Carmen

Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!

On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

Thanks!
Post by Carmen Vitullo
a backup using date time
i use this
<Snipped>

Nims,Alva John , Al
2017-05-05 16:06:51 UTC
I am still running z/OS 1.13 and the MVS "DISPLAY SYMBOLS" will only display "Static" system symbols, it does not show what dynamic symbols are available

Same with TASID & SHOWZOS, they only show the "Static" symbols. FYI: IPLINFO from Mark Zelden, only shows Static.

Don't know MXI.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298

Just out of curiosity, is there a way for those of us without console authority to get the current list of symbols on the system?

I tried the SDSF SYM command suggested earlier, but SDSFAUX is not running on our system so it fails.

If it matters, we are z/OS 2.1 here.

just now reading the rest of you response, sorry A.D.D. kicking in I think I found what I needed searching for using symbols in JCL and brought me to the KB, to see what system symbols are available on your system MVS command 'D SYMBOLS'

Carmen

Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!

On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

Thanks!
Post by Carmen Vitullo
a backup using date time
i use this
<Snipped>

Richards, Robert B.
2017-05-05 16:26:33 UTC
My bad.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way for those of us without console authority to get the current list of symbols on the system?

I tried the SDSF SYM command suggested earlier, but SDSFAUX is not running on our system so it fails.

If it matters, we are z/OS 2.1 here.

just now reading the rest of you response, sorry A.D.D. kicking in I think I found what I needed searching for using symbols in JCL and brought me to the KB, to see what system symbols are available on your system MVS command 'D SYMBOLS'

Carmen

Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!

On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

Thanks!
Post by Carmen Vitullo
a backup using date time
i use this
<Snipped>

Steve Smith
2017-05-05 16:27:15 UTC
Seems to me that they could have just added the "SYMBOLS=" keyword to JOB
and PROC like they did for DD *. Making it an option specified only in
JESPARMs is pretty non-optimal.

sas
Post by Nims,Alva John , Al
I am still running z/OS 1.13 and the MVS "DISPLAY SYMBOLS" will only
display "Static" system symbols, it does not show what dynamic symbols are
available
IPLINFO from Mark Zelden, only shows Static.
Don't know MXI.
Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298
Just out of curiosity, is there a way for those of us without console
authority to get the current list of symbols on the system?
I tried the SDSF SYM command suggested earlier, but SDSFAUX is not running
on our system so it fails.
If it matters, we are z/OS 2.1 here.
Behalf Of Carmen Vitullo
Carmen, that's just what I need - thanks so much!
On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I
don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?
Thanks!
Post by Carmen Vitullo
a backup using date time
i use this
<Snipped>
Hi again...I have searched, and must be looking for the wrong thing,
so I hope you can help me.
Is there a system symbol I can use in my DSN that has the current date
in it? I understand the implications of cross-date boundaries, etc.,
and am looking to try something using the date in my dataset name.
Also, do I need to export the symbol if it is a system symbol, or can
I use it in JCL and control cards without the export?
Thanks again, and have a great, sunny weekend!
--
Thank you and best regards,
*Billy Ashton*
addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your system.
sas

Sri h Kolusu
2017-05-05 15:49:45 UTC
Bill Ashton,

Just in case if your shop has SYSSYM=DISALLOW for the jobclass you
running, here is an alternative of getting the desired results.

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=EZACFSM1
//SYSOUT DD DSN=&&ALCCARD,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(TRK,(1,1),RLSE)
//SYSIN DD DATA,DLM=@@
ALLOC DSNAME('ASHTON.D&LYYMMDD..T&LHHMMSS') -
NEW CATALOG -
DSORG(PS) -
LRECL(80) -
RECFM(F B) -
BLKSIZE(27920) -
SPACE(5,5) -
CYLINDERS
@@
//*
//STEP0200 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD DISP=SHR,DSN=&&ALCCARD
//*
Post by Carmen Vitullo
Post by Bill Ashton
On a related note, is there a way to find out all the system symbols, so I
don't have to keep asking one-off questions here?

The dynamic system symbols are explained here

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieae200/dynpsm.htm

And you can run the following job to display them all (Anything that is
not converted is a symbol that is not configured)

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=EZACFSM1
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *
CURRENT LOCAL YYMMDD IS : &LYYMMDD
CURRENT LOCAL DAY IS : &LDAY
CURRENT DUMP DSN IS : &DS
CURRENT LOCAL TIME IS : &LHHMMSS
CURRENT LOCAL HOUR IS : &LHR
CURRENT LOCALJULIAN DAY OF YEAR IS : &LJDAY
CURRENT LOCAL JOBNAME IS : &JOBNAME
CURRENT LOCAL MINUTE IS : &LMIN
CURRENT LOCAL MONTH IS : &LMON
CURRENT LOCAL SECONDS IS : &LSEC
CURRENT SEQUENCE NUMBER IS : &SEQ
CURRENT LOCAL DAY OF THE WEEK IS : &LWDAY
CURRENT LOCAL 4 DIGIT YEAR IS : &LYR4
CURRENT LOCAL 2 DIGIT YEAR IS : &LYR2
//*

Thanks,
Kolusu

From: Bill Ashton <***@GMAIL.COM>
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date: 05/05/2017 06:50 AM
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

2017-05-05 13:55:29 UTC
For system symbols - make sure you have the ability to create them. They are documented in the MVS INIT and Tuning
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieae200/dynpsm.htm

Make sure on the JES2 JOBCLASS definition in JES2 you verify how this is coded
SYSSYM whether it is allowed or disallowed.

Specifies whether system symbols are substituted in batch jobs that are submitted in this JOBCLASS. Symbols are substituted when the job is processed by the z/OS converter using the system symbols that are set on the system where the conversion occurs.

Lizette
Carmen Vitullo
2017-05-05 14:36:50 UTC
Good point, sorry to make the assumption , for the most part we DISALLOW systems symbols in batch
from the SDSF JC display ....

COMMAND INPUT ===> SCROLL ===> PAGE
PREFIX=* DEST=(ALL) OWNER=* SYSNAME=
NP CLASS v JesLog XBMProc DupJob JobRC Active SysSym DsEnqShr
A (NOSPIN) NO MAXRC YES DISALLOW ALLOW
B (NOSPIN) NO MAXRC YES DISALLOW ALLOW
C (NOSPIN) NO MAXRC YES DISALLOW ALLOW
D (NOSPIN) NO MAXRC YES DISALLOW ALLOW
E (NOSPIN) NO MAXRC YES DISALLOW ALLOW

Carmen

2017-05-05 15:11:14 UTC
Post by Carmen Vitullo
Good point, sorry to make the assumption , for the most part we DISALLOW systems symbols in batch
Why? Cui bono? Is there a performance or security concern?

Carmen Vitullo
2017-05-05 15:16:04 UTC
Strange mindset, afraid of change - I don't see any concern or auditing issues.
Been slow to change that status quo - I'm trying :)

Carmen

2017-05-05 16:05:18 UTC
Only concern would be users creating datasets with DATE/TIME entries and there is no cleanup.

So you could have a user create 365 Date datasets * hhmmss entries and then not have a process to DELETE the things no longer needed.

I will use the inappropriate term - ga-zillions of datasets in your DASD Volumes and no clean up.

Lizette
2017-05-05 16:36:04 UTC
@Lizette: If that's your only concern, then you have no concerns. There's
no connection between JCL symbols and users creating lots of datasets.

What I do is use an IEBEDIT (IEBGENER also fine) job to submit the actual
job from //SYSUT1 DD DATA,SYMBOLS=EXECSYS to the INTRDR. Voila, full
symbol support. And there's not a damn thing you can do about it. :-)

sas
Strange mindset, afraid of change - I don't see any concern or auditing issues.
Been slow to change that status quo - I'm trying :)
Carmen
Good point, sorry to make the assumption , for the most part we
DISALLOW systems symbols in batch
Why? Cui bono? Is there a performance or security concern?
email to
Post by Richards, Robert B.
email to
sas

2017-05-05 17:43:43 UTC
If a user has to do an EXPORT, SET SYMBOL=xxx

That takes effort

If they can code //DDLBL DD DSN=D&DDMMYY..T&HHMMSS Then much less effort.

And the other concerns presented are still true

1) Where is the JCL converted
2) Is the JCL converted on the submitting system or a different system?
3) How is the JCL Converted
4) Are the symbols in the system where the JCL is converted?
5) When the job is submitted it will convert the symbolic with the time of the conversion, but if it runs much later (hours) then the dataset name will not necessarily reflect when it was actually created. Example, JOBA is submitted at 000000 but is on Hold. It is later released at 020000. The DSN would be D&ddmmyy..T000000. User will assume the dataset was created at Midnight and not 02am when the job actually ran.

I think the bottom line is people very familiar with the converter, symbol usage, and how things work will not have issues with the process. End users not as familiar will be creating lots of datasets with expectations that might not be valid. And even though we can migrate off datasets not used, what process will "know" when that file is no longer needed by the application and then can be deleted.

I think on the open system/midrange/server (not mainframe server) side are used to adding Dates and Times to files with the expectation it is the actual date and time the file was created.

I do not know if they have a clean-up process once those files are no longer needed.

Lizette
Carmen Vitullo
2017-05-05 17:25:06 UTC
Agree, for me, being a storage admin in a previous life I had the Storage admin here add migration rules to migrate these datasets that have not been referenced in 10 days.

Carmen

Edward Gould
2017-05-06 05:35:12 UTC
——————————SNIP------------------------------
Only concern would be users creating datasets with DATE/TIME entries and there is no cleanup.
So you could have a user create 365 Date datasets * hhmmss entries and then not have a process to DELETE the things no longer needed.
I will use the inappropriate term - ga-zillions of datasets in your DASD Volumes and no clean up.
I would agree the problem is that users (and management) think DASD is an unlimited resource. Hey there is a cloud out there and its BIG.

Ed
Lizette
Gibney, Dave
2017-05-05 17:53:15 UTC
Which is what DFHSM and MGMCLAS's with expriation controls set are for.
2017-05-05 15:48:53 UTC
The OS command D SYMBOLS will display all system symbols including those defined by the installation. If you don't have console authority, I'm not sure how to get that display. ;-(

2017-05-05 16:04:53 UTC
IBM's reluctance to provide system symbol support in *batch* is well motivated. From the beginning of system symbols, they were honored only in STC and TSU. In batch they were ignored. The problem with batch is that a number of key factors affecting symbols are unpredictable. So when and how would a symbol be set?

At submit time?
At conversion time?
At NJE transmission time?
At execution time?

For STC or TSU, there is no variability. I participated in free-for-all discussions at SHARE on how symbols might be implemented in batch. Strong opinions were all over the map. Finally IBM relented and provided support for symbols in batch with a set of rules that are well documented, like them or not. Besides the variabilities above, there is also this:

What if a system symbol happens to clash with an existing JCL or PROC variable?

Even most installations could not predict this problem. When symbols are ignored, user variables can be almost anything. With symbols honored, all sorts of crazy results are possible. Hence a shop has to take specific action to honor system symbols in batch. Caveat emptor.

2017-05-05 17:30:46 UTC
IBM's reluctance to provide system symbol support in *batch* is well motivated. From the beginning of system symbols, they were honored only in STC and TSU. In batch they were ignored. The problem with batch is that a number of key factors affecting symbols are unpredictable. So when and how would a symbol be set?
At submit time?
At conversion time?
At NJE transmission time?
At execution time?
Make it an option; give the programmer control.
What if a system symbol happens to clash with an existing JCL or PROC variable?
And here, we have the horrible, irreparable design error in JCL
syntax. Reference to an undefined symbol should have *always*
been a syntax error.

Otherwise, JCL or PROC variables should dominate system symbols.

There should be a construct to restrict scope of symbols defined
in JCLLIB members so they don't clash with symbols in open code.

I hate JCL!

2017-05-05 16:36:21 UTC
My earlier post did not consider dynamic system symbols. There is an excellent chart at

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieae200/dynpsm.htm

listing (I suppose all) supported dynamic symbols in z/OS V2R2. Most are date related. Some of these symbols have changed over the years, but I think they are valid in V1R13. You can test these symbols in Rexx with this function: MVSVAR("symbol-name") . This function does not require any special authority.

2017-05-06 18:05:48 UTC
My earlier post did not consider dynamic system symbols. There is an excellent chart at
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieae200/dynpsm.htm
Excellent looks different to me! The table still shows the, at least on z/OS V 2.1 and up, invalid symbols &DATE and &TIME. And all the local date/time related symbols are only mentioned in the explanation of other symbols. Rubbish.

Johnson,
2017-05-09 16:28:14 UTC
My earlier post did not consider dynamic system symbols. There is an excellent chart at
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ibm.com%2Fsupport%2Fknowledgecenter%2Fen%2FSSLTBW_2.2.0%2Fcom.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieae200%Fdynpsm.htm&data=02%7C01%7CTimothy.Johnson%40STATE.CA.GOV%7C3e73d953f08f4b45043908d494aaa950%7C52b26be47f5d4e1cbaed8cf75b7570d5%7C1%7C07C636296908099559181&sdata=NL0uYqX5MA8ig2JU%2FjZS2QL85aRFO5ku%2B4pHRwU95vE%3D&reserved=0

Dale R. Smith
2017-05-05 16:40:04 UTC
The REXX MVSVAR function with the 'SYMDEF' parameter will display the Static and Dynamic System Symbols assigned to your system. No special authority required! You have to supply the Symbol Name to extract. Here is a REXX program to extract and display the currently defined, (at least as of z/OS V2.2), Static and Dynamic Symbols. If you have inhouse defined Static Symbols, (as we do), then modify the "inhouse" variable in SYMDEF REXX to include your inhouse defined symbols. If you do not have any inhouse symbols, then set the "inhouse" variable to null: inhouse = ''

/*--------------------------- SYMDEF REXX ----------------------------*/
/* Extract MVS Static and Dynamic Symbols and Display their Values. */
/*--------------------------------------------------------------------*/
SYMDEF:
Parse Source . ctype ename etype emode . system subsys .
static = 'SYSALVL SYSCLONE SYSNAME SYSOSLVL SYSPLEX SYSR1'
inhouse = 'SYSR2 SYSCLON1 PLEX TSID CSID IMSP IMST'
dynamic = 'DS JOBNAME SEQ'
utctime = 'YYMMDD HHMMSS YR4 YR2 MON DAY HR MIN SEC ',
'WDAY JDAY'
lcltime = 'LYYMMDD LHHMMSS LYR4 LYR2 LMON LDAY LHR LMIN LSEC',
'LWDAY LJDAY'

Say 'MVS Static System Symbols...'
Do n = 1 to Words(static)
symbol = Word(static,n)
Say Left(symbol,8) '=' MVSVar('SYMDEF',symbol)
End /* Do n = 1 to Words(static) */

If inhouse \= '' Then
Do
Say ' '
Say 'MVS Static System Symbols...(Inhouse)'
Do n = 1 to Words(inhouse)
symbol = Word(inhouse,n)
Say Left(symbol,8) '=' MVSVar('SYMDEF',symbol)
End /* Do n = 1 to Words(inhouse) */
End

Say ' '
Say 'MVS Dynamic System Symbols...(Non Date/Time)'
Do n = 1 to Words(dynamic)
symbol = Word(dynamic,n)
Say Left(symbol,8) '=' MVSVar('SYMDEF',symbol)
End /* Do n = 1 to Words(dynamic) */

Say ' '
Say 'MVS Dynamic System Symbols...(UTC Timezone)'
Do n = 1 to Words(utctime)
symbol = Word(utctime,n)
Say Left(symbol,8) '=' MVSVar('SYMDEF',symbol)
End /* Do n = 1 to Words(utctime) */

Say ' '
Say 'MVS Dynamic System Symbols...(Local Timezone)'
Do n = 1 to Words(lcltime)
symbol = Word(lcltime,n)
Say Left(symbol,8) '=' MVSVar('SYMDEF',symbol)
End /* Do n = 1 to Words(lcltime) */

Exit 0
--
Dale R. Smith

Peter Relson
2017-05-10 17:42:49 UTC
Post by Peter Hunkeler
The table still shows the, at least on z/OS V 2.1 and
up, invalid symbols &DATE and &TIME.
Those symbols are not fully "invalid". They are available to IBM-code
symbol substituters that choose to allow them. The DUMPDS command
processing is such a substituter (I think the only intended one). The
table should mention that (and similarly for &LDATE, &LTIME). Given that
they are deprecated, they could certainly be moved out of the table into a
separate section.
Post by Peter Hunkeler
And all the local date/time related symbols are only
mentioned in the explanation of other symbols
I have submitted a request to update to have the deprecated symbols put in
a separate area, and add the "local time" symbols included as their own
entries, not only as reference from the "UTC time" symbols.

In the future, I encourage you to take the time to help yourself and
presumably others by sending an appropriate email to the ID folks to ask
for / suggest updates.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Deign

2017-05-11 18:15:49 UTC
Post by Peter Relson
In the future, I encourage you to take the time to help yourself and
presumably others by sending an appropriate email to the ID folks to ask
for / suggest updates.

Peter, I very much appreciate your effort. I know about the RCF process, and I have submitted quite some.

If often heard that the ID people were discussing my suggestion with the lab people, and then the doc was updated. So I assume it is less overhead if people like you can straight away tell what and how to change the doc. I will nevertheless continue to submit RCFs. ä

2017-05-10 17:49:59 UTC
Post by Peter Relson
Post by Peter Hunkeler
The table still shows the, at least on z/OS V 2.1 and
up, invalid symbols &DATE and &TIME.
Those symbols are not fully "invalid". They are available to IBM-code
symbol substituters that choose to allow them. The DUMPDS command
processing is such a substituter (I think the only intended one). The
table should mention that (and similarly for &LDATE, &LTIME). Given that
they are deprecated, they could certainly be moved out of the table into a
separate section.
I suspect this is a consequence of a simple-minded symbol resolution
facility that can't detect or report a buffer overrun when the length
of a symbol's value exceeds the length of its name.

Peter Relson
2017-05-11 12:10:32 UTC
<snip>
I suspect this is a consequence of a simple-minded symbol resolution
facility that can't detect or report a buffer overrun when the length
of a symbol's value exceeds the length of its name.
</snip>

The symbol substitution service (ASASYMBM) is indeed quite simple-minded.
The choice to truncate in a case where substitution would otherwise have
overrun the input buffer was a conscious one, to avoid burdening thousands
of programs with "what do I do if truncation did happen (or would have
happened)?".

But yes, that is why the symbols were deprecated.

As of z/OS 2.2, we now support symbols that have longer values than the
length of the name, but with a naming protocol that lets it visually be
seen that such a symbol is being used (symbol name ends with underscore).
The silent truncation still happens. But at least the user of the symbol
has an easy way of seeing that they are taking on the risk of such
truncation.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design