Problem after starting PPRC
Add Reply
גדי בן אבי
2017-11-30 12:21:00 UTC
Hi,

Yesterday we established PPRC (Global Mirror) relationships between our local DS8884 and our remote DS8884.
This is our first venture into the storage replication area.

We have a series of jobs that use flashcopy to copy a volume to a secondary volume, and then backu to secondary to tape. This is done using DFSMSdss.
The command looks like this:
COPY FULL ADMINISTRATOR INDYNAM(SCR016) OUTDYNAM(FLSH04) -
DUMPCONDITIONING FASTREPLICATION(REQUIRED) PURGE ALLDATA(*) -
ALLEXCP CANCELERROR
IF LASTCC = 0 THEN
DUMP FULL ADMIN INDYNAM(FLSH04) OUTDDNAME(OUTPUT) ALLDATA(*) -
ALLEXCP OPTIMIZE(4) CANCELERROR

When the jobs ran last night it returned:
PAGE 0001 5695-DF175 DFSMSDSS V2R01.0 DATA SET SERVICES 2017.334 05:29
COPY FULL ADMINISTRATOR INDYNAM(SCR016) OUTDYNAM(FLSH04) -
DUMPCONDITIONING FASTREPLICATION(REQUIRED) PURGE ALLDATA(*) -
ALLEXCP CANCELERROR
ADR101I (R/I)-RI01 (01), TASKID 001 HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO COMMAND 'COPY '
IF LASTCC = 0 THEN
ADR101I (R/I)-RI01 (01), TASKID 002 HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO COMMAND 'IF '
DUMP FULL ADMIN INDYNAM(FLSH04) OUTDDNAME(OUTPUT) ALLDATA(*) -
ALLEXCP OPTIMIZE(4) CANCELERROR
ADR101I (R/I)-RI01 (01), TASKID 003 HAS BEEN ASSIGNED TO COMMAND 'DUMP '
ADR109I (R/I)-RI01 (01), 2017.334 05:29:33 INITIAL SCAN OF USER CONTROL STATEMENTS COMPLETED
ADR016I (001)-PRIME(01), RACF LOGGING OPTION IN EFFECT FOR THIS TASK
ADR006I (001)-STEND(01), 2017.334 05:29:33 EXECUTION BEGINS
ADR918I (001)-DDTFP(03), FAST REPLICATION COULD NOT BE USED FOR VOLUME SCR016, RETURN CODE 9
1 VOLUME WAS REJECTED FOR QFRVOLS VOLUME REASON CODE 2 - PPRC PRIM CURRENTLY ACTIVE
ADR938E (001)-DDTFP(03), FASTREPLICATION(REQUIRED) WAS SPECIFIED BUT FAST REPLICATION COULD NOT BE USED FOR VOLUME SCR016
ADR006I (001)-STEND(02), 2017.334 05:29:33 EXECUTION ENDS
ADR013I (001)-CLTSK(01), 2017.334 05:29:33 TASK COMPLETED WITH RETURN CODE 0008
ADR016I (003)-PRIME(01), RACF LOGGING OPTION IN EFFECT FOR THIS TASK
ADR006I (003)-STEND(01), 2017.334 05:29:34 EXECUTION BEGINS
ADR006I (003)-STEND(02), 2017.334 05:51:15 EXECUTION ENDS
ADR013I (003)-CLTSK(01), 2017.334 05:51:15 TASK COMPLETED WITH RETURN CODE 0000
ADR012I (SCH)-DSSU (01), 2017.334 05:51:15 DFSMSDSS PROCESSING COMPLETE. HIGHEST RETURN CODE IS 0008 FROM:
TASK 001

From what I read, I have to remove the PPRC connection for the Flashcopy Target, and then reestablish it (maybe).

Am I correct?
How can I do this in batch, hopefully only specifying the VOLSER’s.

We are running z/OS v2.1

Thanks

Gadi
לתשומת ליבך, בהתאם לנהלי חברת מלם מערכות בע"מ ו/או כל חברת בת ו/או חברה קשורה שלה (להלן : "החברה") וזכויות החתימה בהן, כל הצעה, התחייבות או מצג מטעם החברה, מחייבים מסמך נפרד וחתום על ידי מורשי החתימה של החברה, הנושא את לוגו החברה או שמה המודפס ובצירוף חותמת החברה. בהעדר מסמך כאמור (לרבות מסמך סרוק) המצורף להודעת דואר אלקטרוני זאת, אין לראות באמור בהודעה אלא משום טיוטה לדיון, ואין להסתמך עליה לביצוע פעולה עסקית או משפטית כלשהי. Please note that in accordance with Malam and/or its subsidiaries (hereinafter : "Malam") regulations and signatory rights, no offer, agreement, concession or representation is binding on the Malam, unless accompanied by a duly signed separate document (or a scanned version thereof), affixed with the Malam seal.

2017-12-01 11:28:34 UTC
Post by גדי בן אבי
Hi,
Yesterday we established PPRC (Global Mirror) relationships between our local DS8884 and our remote DS8884.
This is our first venture into the storage replication area.
We have a series of jobs that use flashcopy to copy a volume to a secondary volume, and then backu to secondary to tape. This is done using DFSMSdss.
COPY FULL ADMINISTRATOR INDYNAM(SCR016) OUTDYNAM(FLSH04) -
DUMPCONDITIONING FASTREPLICATION(REQUIRED) PURGE ALLDATA(*) -
ALLEXCP CANCELERROR
IF LASTCC = 0 THEN
DUMP FULL ADMIN INDYNAM(FLSH04) OUTDDNAME(OUTPUT) ALLDATA(*) -
ALLEXCP OPTIMIZE(4) CANCELERROR
ADR918I (001)-DDTFP(03), FAST REPLICATION COULD NOT BE USED FOR VOLUME SCR016, RETURN CODE 9
This indicates the source volume SCR016 is in a PPRC pair.
To make the backup copy, SUSPEND the PPRC relationship (updates to
remote volume are stopped but updated tracks are being tracked), make
your copy, then RESUME the PPRC relationship (and updated tracks will
be sent).

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.antg000/susvlpr.htm

Pommier, Rex
2017-12-01 14:35:07 UTC
Mike,

Actually, not quite. :-)

The ADR918I message is saying that the target is a source in a PPRC relationship. The message text is slightly misleading since it shows the source vol-ser. The problem is that FLSH04 got set up as a PPRC source to the remote machine. By default, FlashCopy doesn't allow a PPRC source volume to be a F/C target.

The actual text from the x'9' return code says " One or more target devices are not eligible for fast replication at this time."

I ran into this exact issue a year ago when we set up our replication. We just removed our flashcopy target volumes from the disk pool that gets replicated. In our case, it was temporary use dataset level flash copies, which I think is what Gadi is trying to do, flash the volumes long enough to back them up to tape then throw away the backup disk copies. No need to replicate this data to the remote device.

Rex

[...]

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.