APAR OA53994
2017-09-29 19:09:37 UTC
I just got a notice from ASAP that APAR OA53994 has PEed PTF UA91904 , which we installed in July. It looks pretty serious: records dropped at the end of an extended format sequential file. We have had no reports of such a problem, but it's pretty worrying. Has anyone stumbled on this crack in the sidewalk?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

Jousma, David
2017-10-02 11:49:47 UTC
Thanks for the heads up Skip.

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

I just got a notice from ASAP that APAR OA53994 has PEed PTF UA91904 , which we installed in July. It looks pretty serious: records dropped at the end of an extended format sequential file. We have had no reports of such a problem, but it's pretty worrying. Has anyone stumbled on this crack in the sidewalk?

626-543-6132 Office <===== NEW
***@sce.com<mailto:***@sce.com>

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Jousma, David
2017-10-02 13:01:35 UTC
All, just an FYI, we are in the middle of a maintenance cycle, and happened to pick up these offending PTF's awhile back. IBM does have an APARFIX available. I'm working with them trying to gauge the confidence level in it. They have updated the text of the APAR to include the conditions required for it to occur. Probably a fairly rare case, but good to close the hole.

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
During CLOSE processing of an extended format dataset, a logic
error occurs causing the blocks at the end of the dataset to not
be written out to the dataset if the I/O has not completed yet.

Conditions for problem to occur:
- QSAM and OUTPUT
- Physical Sequential Extended Format dataset
- During close processing, the dataset must run out of space in
the current extent. This will drive EOV processing to get a
new extent and re-drive i/o.
- The i/o must not complete before we get to the invalid code
path. If it completes, there is no problem.

Ward, Mike S
2017-10-23 13:03:37 UTC
Question, does the logic error produce any kind of message so that you can be warned of the potential problem?

[...]

==========================
This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this message by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Jousma, David

Allan Staller
2017-10-23 14:20:59 UTC
Ptf fix is available:

R210 PSY UA93769
UP17/10/10 I 1000 ­

R220 PSY UA93773
UP17/10/10 I 1000 ­

R230 PSY UA93768
UP17/10/10 I 1000

2017-10-03 21:27:13 UTC
Even though we are not aware of having the problem, we've been pursuing the ++APAR fix just in case. In order to APPLY CHECK it cleanly, we had to include a cousin PTF that we had not yet received, let alone applied: UA92697. That PTF is also PEed but fixed by the same APAR. Level 2 didn't seem to understand our problem. IBM does advise, after all, receiving all maintenance on a regular basis. We don't. ;-( Just be aware that if UA92697 is not already installed (before it went PE presumably), then you need to include it in the same apply job with AA53994.

BTW we're inclined to wait for the GA PTF.

Jousma, David

2017-10-14 01:22:12 UTC
Since the day the PTFs went GA, we've been trying to download for our level. We have submitted our 'standard' RFN job several times. Each time it runs for hours and finally dies. The latest one looked as below. This is just to pull a single PTF. The job is active but waiting the entire time. Anyone have better luck?

GIM694I SMP/E HAS WAITED 525 MINUTES FOR ORDER ORD00076 AND WILL CONTINUE TO
WAIT BECAUSE NOLIMIT WAS SPECIFIED.
GIM69195S ** RECEIVE PROCESSING HAS FAILED. THE SERVER AT
https://eccgw01.boulder.ibm.com/services/projects/ecc/ws DETECTED
AN ERROR: 405 - Method Not Allowed.
GIM20501I RECEIVE PROCESSING IS COMPLETE. THE HIGHEST RETURN CODE WAS 12.

Field, Alan
2017-10-14 01:45:37 UTC
A couple of times this week I have run our job.

I gave up the first time and cancelled it after about 600 minutes of waiting.

The second one finally completed successfully after a similar amount of time.

CAUTION: This email originated outside of the organization.
DO NOT CLICK links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__eccgw01.boulder.ibm.com_services_projects_ecc_ws&d=DwIGaQ&c=zjLIypOkeQKJfe4BYrJ5J55pYA-45JElRiaMoh2hP7Q&r=SaL11MvL9LWz-4CkTmMYltgrRR9mrR4t5HY7AKmOSPE&m=CTEQdsMN-Chswhc5YS4MsWkr3ZC4M667c8sEcx_jlBo&s=OfSOwtgjPvhdybtaNQfb96upg8zpBAMuMJS1gQprc_0&e= DETECTED

[...]

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you must not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

2017-10-16 15:38:07 UTC
We mentioned to IBM in our SR that we could not pull the PTF. Reply was that Shopz had problems last week affecting many customer orders. I resubmitted the order this morning. It completed in three minutes.

2017-10-23 21:18:03 UTC
In the course of our SR, there was never a hint of external problem indication. This is a logic error after all. Working as Coded, not as designed, so I would not expect any 'error code'. You would only know of a problem if a program reading the truncated file notices that something is missing at the end.

OTOH consider that the environment is pretty rarified. QSAM output to an extended format sequential file that gets 'distracted' at the very end by needing to grab an extra disk extent. What are the odds?

The only responsible action is to install the fix and migrate it (via CLPA). In the meantime, you shouldn't lose too much sleep.

Edward Gould
2017-10-24 01:31:28 UTC
In the course of our SR, there was never a hint of external problem indication. This is a logic error after all. Working as Coded, not as designed, so I would not expect any 'error code'. You would only know of a problem if a program reading the truncated file notices that something is missing at the end.
OTOH consider that the environment is pretty rarified. QSAM output to an extended format sequential file that gets 'distracted' at the very end by needing to grab an extra disk extent. What are the odds?
The only responsible action is to install the fix and migrate it (via CLPA). In the meantime, you shouldn't lose too much sleep.
.
Skip,

Its not marked hiper? Loss of any data s/b marked hiper, IMO.

Ed
2017-10-24 14:38:16 UTC
The APAR is marked HIPER.

Edward Gould
2017-10-24 19:38:23 UTC
The APAR is marked HIPER.
.
.That is what I saw as well. I have to question anyone who does not put on any Hipers. To me it is a no brainer. Hell, even if it didn’t affect me I would put it on as you never know.
I can just see it now being called in on the carpet for not putting it on, on the other hand I can see this used as justification for firing a person.
Ed