CPU usage by service class compared to LPAR capacity
2017-12-06 09:39:47 UTC
Cross-posting from MXG-L, since I got no answer therer

I'm working with SMF 99 subtype 6 data. The description of the fields SMF996_PSERV, SMF996_PISERV, and SMF996_PSSERV is a bit unclear. Are they holding the CPU service units for CP, zAAP, and zIIP, resp.?

I plot the CPU service units per policy interval (10s) by service class.

I want to compare this to the capacity of the LPAR. The LPAR is running on a z13 (N96) model 714. It has 6 LCPs. For this I need to get the SU/sec/CP for a 2964-706, since the number of LCPs counts not the number of PCPs, right?

The SRM SU table say a single LCP on a 2964-706 (LPAR) delivers 74'418.6 SU/sec. So the LPAR can deliver up to 6 * 74'418.6 = 446'511.6 SU/sec, or 4'465'116 SU in the 10 second SRM policy interval. Does this sound right?

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2017-12-06 09:52:31 UTC
Looking at: "SMF99_VARTIME_AT_PDP, Time at variable DP promoted by supervisor", I guess DP stands for Dispatching Priority.

Kees.
Cross-posting from MXG-L, since I got no answer therer
I'm working with SMF 99 subtype 6 data. The description of the fields
SMF996_PSERV, SMF996_PISERV, and SMF996_PSSERV is a bit unclear. Are
they holding the CPU service units for CP, zAAP, and zIIP, resp.?
I plot the CPU service units per policy interval (10s) by service class.
I want to compare this to the capacity of the LPAR. The LPAR is running
on a z13 (N96) model 714. It has 6 LCPs. For this I need to get the
SU/sec/CP for a 2964-706, since the number of LCPs counts not the number
of PCPs, right?
The SRM SU table say a single LCP on a 2964-706 (LPAR) delivers
74'418.6 SU/sec. So the LPAR can deliver up to 6 * 74'418.6 = 446'511.6
SU/sec, or 4'465'116 SU in the 10 second SRM policy interval. Does this
sound right?
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Martin Packer
2017-12-06 13:57:50 UTC
I would guess PSERV is GCP, PISERV is zAAP (one IFA) and PSSERV is zIIP
(once SUP).

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer

zChampion, Systems Investigator & Performance Troubleshooter, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: ***@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker

Blog:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker

Podcast Series (With Marna Walle): https://developer.ibm.com/tv/mpt/ or

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/mainframe-performance-topics/id1127943573?mt=2

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu_65HaYgksbF6Q8SQ4oOvA

From: Peter Hunkeler <***@GMX.CH>
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date: 06/12/2017 09:41
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Cross-posting from MXG-L, since I got no answer therer

I'm working with SMF 99 subtype 6 data. The description of the fields
SMF996_PSERV, SMF996_PISERV, and SMF996_PSSERV is a bit unclear. Are they
holding the CPU service units for CP, zAAP, and zIIP, resp.?

I plot the CPU service units per policy interval (10s) by service class.

I want to compare this to the capacity of the LPAR. The LPAR is running on
a z13 (N96) model 714. It has 6 LCPs. For this I need to get the SU/sec/CP
for a 2964-706, since the number of LCPs counts not the number of PCPs,
right?

The SRM SU table say a single LCP on a 2964-706 (LPAR) delivers 74'418.6
SU/sec. So the LPAR can deliver up to 6 * 74'418.6 = 446'511.6 SU/sec, or
4'465'116 SU in the 10 second SRM policy interval. Does this sound right?

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.