SCEELKED Restore
Mainframe Mainframe
2014-10-01 09:09:57 UTC
Hi Group,
We have some issues wth SYS1.SCEELKED and want to restore
from backup, but
SYSTEM DATASET JOBNAME DISP
STATUS
------ -------------------------------------------- ------- -----
------
MVS1 SYS1.SCEELKED XCFAS SHR
USING
MVS1 SYS1.SCEELKED LLA SHR
USING
MVS2 SYS1.SCEELKED XCFAS SHR
USING
MVS2 SYS1.SCEELKED LLA SHR
USING
MVS3 SYS1.SCEELKED XCFAS SHR
USING
MVS3 SYS1.SCEELKED LLA SHR
USING
MVS4 SYS1.SCEELKED XCFAS SHR
USING
MVS4 SYS1.SCEELKED LLA SHR
USING

As, we have system running under sysplex, so we getting above output of
this been in use by LLA and XCFAS.

Initially I thought of using below link for Update linklst dynamically.

http://www.ruifeio.com/2009/06/29/update-linklist-dynamically

but, as SYS1.SCEELKED is core system library, so I was afraid of doing it
as many subsystem will start failing with abends.

Do,we have any other process of restoring SCEELKED from backup dataset.

Anthony Thompson
2014-10-01 09:37:00 UTC
I think you can do this by:

1) remove the LLA enqueue by shutting down LLA on all system in the sysplex (and wear the performance hit for a while)

2) remove the XCFAS enqueue by issuing command SETPROG LNKLST,UNALLOCATE on all systems

Restore your dataset. Maybe to an alternate residence volume which should probably be staged into the sysplex by appropriate IPL's

Then commands SETPROG LNKLST, ALLOCATE and S LLA,SUB=MSTR (maybe with a LLA=xx parm)

Ant.

Mainframe Mainframe
2014-10-01 09:40:35 UTC
Thanks for reply. I used these command before,

SETPROG LNKLST,UNALLOCATE

P LLA

S LLA,SUB=MSTR

SETPROG LNKLST,ALLOCATE

But by using this P LLA and UNALLOCATE LINKLIST, might cause serious issue
this time with SYS1.SCEELKED becuase its core system library and that what
I am afraid of .

So, I requested to see if any other solution available to restore SYS1.SCEELKED
from my backup library.
גדי בן אבי
2014-10-01 09:43:15 UTC
I would restore the library first to a different name, shut down lla, and unallocated from xcfas, rename and then restart lla and allocate to Xcfas.

We do not have sceelked in the linklist. Are you sure you need it there?

Gadi

[...]

לשימת לבך, בהתאם לנהלי חברת מלם מערכות בע"מ ו/או כל חברת בת ו/או חברה קשורה שלה (להלן : "החברה") וזכויות החתימה בהן, כל הצעה, התחייבות או מצג מטעם החברה, מחייבים מסמך נפרד וחתום על ידי מורשי החתימה של החברה, הנושא את לוגו החברה או שמה המודפס ובצירוף חותמת החברה. בהעדר מסמך כאמור (לרבות מסמך סרוק) המצורף להודעת דואר אלקטרוני זאת, אין לראות באמור בהודעה אלא משום טיוטה לדיון, ואין להסתמך עליה לביצוע פעולה עסקית או משפטית כלשהי.

Please note that in accordance with Malam and/or its subsidiaries (hereinafter : "Malam") regulations and signatory rights, no offer, agreement, concession or representation is binding on the Malam, unless accompanied by a duly signed separate document (or a scanned version thereof), affixed with the Malam seal.

Mainframe Mainframe
2014-10-01 10:11:50 UTC
We have sys1.sceelked in linklist. But I feel we should use below parm to
restore from backup, but not sure.

RESTORE INDDNAME(TAPE) OUTDDNAME(DASD1) -
DATASET(INCLUDE(**)) TOL(ENQF) WAIT(0,0)
John Eells
2014-10-01 13:48:23 UTC
Post by Mainframe Mainframe
We have sys1.sceelked in linklist. But I feel we should use below parm to
restore from backup, but not sure.
<snip>

OK, I have to ask: What made you think SCEELKED should be in the link list?
--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing

Gibney, Dave
2014-10-01 18:36:58 UTC
This was a question I was hoping would come up? :)
retired mainframer
2014-10-01 16:36:04 UTC
Why restore more than one dataset? How old is the dump? Was the dump physical or logical?
Pommier, Rex
2014-10-01 17:24:08 UTC
I don't think you want to do this! It will restore EVERYTHING from your backup tape, not just SYS1.SCEELKED.

As others have stated, I think you should remove SCEELKED from the linklist. As far as your more immediate need, I would perform a restore of SCEELKED using the RENUNC parameter to give it a new name. Then once you have the restored SCEELKED you can tackle figuring out what changed in the library, and whether you need to completely replace your current SCEELKED with the one you just restored, or if you can just copy a member or 2 from the restored one to the current one to fix whatever is broken.

You need to be very careful of what you're restoring and why, since you will need to keep your SMP/E environment in sync with what is in SCEELKED - otherwise you will have a mess later.

Rex
2014-10-01 12:33:16 UTC
SCEELKED is not needed in the link list. There are other LE datasets that could/should be in the Linklst, but IMO SCEELKED is not one of them.

SCEELKED is used during LKED (BINDER) time.

It has no value in the LINKLST. It contains stubs used during LKED time. So it should be on the SYSLIB DD Statement in the LKED / BINDER step. You may need to review the Language Environment manuals and see what is really needed in the LINKLSTxx or open an SR with IBM and confirm what is required.

As for restoring, if you are going to replace the SCEELKED with a backup version, I would do the following
1) Restore the back up SCEELKED to a new name
2) Delete all members in the current SYS1.SCEELKED dataset
3) Copy from the restored dataset to SYS1.SCEELKED
4) Refresh Linklst.

Lizette
Lizette Koehler
2014-10-01 12:51:41 UTC
Note:

Language Environment library routines are divided into two categories: resident routines and dynamic routines. The resident routines are linked with the application and include such things as initialization/termination routines and pointers to callable services. The dynamic routines are not part of the application and are dynamically loaded during run time.

The way Language Environment code is packaged keeps the size of application executable programs small. When maintaining dynamic library code, you need not relink-edit the application code except under special circumstances, such as when you use an earlier version of code.

So that indicates that the libraries like SCEELKED are only used for LKED. Libraries like SCEERUN are used at execution/runtime.

SYSLIB Library Secondary input to the linkage editor consists of object modules or load modules that are included in the executable program from the automatic call library. The automatic call library contains load modules or object modules that are used as secondary input to the linkage editor to resolve external symbols left undefined after all the primary input has been processed. The automatic call library can include:

Libraries that contain object modules, with or without linkage editor control statements
Libraries that contain executable programs
The libraries that contain the Language Environment resident routines, such as SCEELKED, SCEELKEX, SCEEOBJ, and SCEECPP (for a description of these data sets see Planning to link-edit and run).

SYSLIB is input to the linkage editor.

Hope this helps

Lizette
Lizette Koehler
2014-10-01 15:34:58 UTC
One last thought.

Both SCEELKED and (SCEERUN or SCEERUN2, etc..) may have like named modules.

Depending on where you put the SCEELKED in the Linklst, you may be executing a STUB module and not the RUN TIME Module.

I would suggest you need to fully review your Linklst setup. You may have other libraries that could make your environment "interesting"

Lizette
Joel C. Ewing
2014-10-01 13:53:22 UTC
[...]
Since no one else seems to have mentioned this caution, I will: I trust
your intent is to restore SYS1.SCEELKED to a level that is known to be
consistent with your SMP/E CSI zones. Obviously any thing that
potentially gets those out of sync might appear to work but have unknown
undesirable side effects from future maintenance.
--
Joel C. Ewing, Bentonville, AR ***@acm.org

Thomas Conley
2014-10-01 16:16:38 UTC
[...]
Dude,

Get SCEELKED the heck out of linklist ASAP. This library should ONLY be
used in SYSLIB when running the BINDER. My guess is that your issues
will stop once you remove SCEELKED form the linkist, and you won't need
to restore your backup.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Peter Relson
2014-10-02 11:49:00 UTC
This thread has SCEELKED in the title. But aside from the question of "why
is this data set in the LNKLST" the data set name is not relevant. The
LNKLST data sets are ENQ'd (SHR) precisely to try to keep you from doing
things to those data sets that can crash your system (RESTORE, COMPRESS
come to mind, at least if you properly use DISP=OLD when doing them; if
you use DISP=SHR you're on your own).

<snip>
I think you can do this by:

1) remove the LLA enqueue by shutting down LLA on all system in the
sysplex (and wear the performance hit for a while)

2) remove the XCFAS enqueue by issuing command SETPROG LNKLST,UNALLOCATE
on all systems

Restore your dataset. Maybe to an alternate residence volume which should
probably be staged into the sysplex by appropriate IPL's
<end-snip>

!!!!DO NOT DO THIS. !!! (unless it truly is to an uncataloged copy of the
data set)

The reason that LNKST,UNALLOCATE is provided is so that you can deal with
an uncataloged data set of the same name as a data set in the LNKLST. It
is not provided so that you can muck around with a data set in the LNKLST.
Doing such mucking around to a data set in the LNKLST is "system abuse".

If you ABSOLUTELY must compress, restore, delete (or whatever other
harmful thing comes to mind) a data set that is in the LNKLST, the best
thing to try (and even this uses the unpredictably dangerous, can result
in your system dying, though often has no harmful effects, so don't
complain if you have to re-IPL, LNKLST UPDATE) is:
-- create a new LNKLST set that does not have your data set (it could have
a copy of it)
-- activate it
-- stop LLA (or remove that data set from LLA management)
-- LNKLST UPDATE JOB(*) so that everyone is using the new LNKLST set
-- NOW neither LLA nor XCFAS will have the ENQ
-- do whatever you want with the data set
-- do analogous things to bring things back the way they were (though this
time you might choose not to bother with the LNKLST UPDATE if you don't
mind having old address spaces still use that previous LNKLST)

And by "absolutely must" I generally mean "or else I'd have to IPL anyway,
so it's worth trying"

In general, it is a bad idea to put any data set (or module) in the LNKLST
unless the owner has indicated that it is OK to do so. Otherwise you could
be introducing a system integrity problem. The system rule is that
authorized programs must load things only from authorized concatenations,
and that (by default) the LNKLST is treated as an authorized concatenation
even if the individual data sets are not APF-authorized (this is the
LNKAUTH=LNKLST system parameter, as contrasted with the LNKAUTH=APFTAB
system parameter). Not every program is written to be safe if invoked in
an authorized state. Stronger, it seems likely that a huge percentage of
programs that were not specifically intended for authorized environments
are indeed not safe if invoked in an authorized environment.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

John Eells
2014-10-02 13:14:06 UTC
To add a bit to what Peter said, I'll repeat what I said in a private
note: We do not test our software with data sets in the link list that
are not intended to be present there. I'll further add that we
generally do not even design our software to tolerate running in that
environment.

So in many ways, making certain that data sets that don't belong in them
is not in those lists is as important as making sure the things you need
*are* in them. If IBM Development doesn't know what will happen,
neither do you...

This is why I asked the OP why it was thought necessary to add SCEELKED
to the link list. I want to be sure we don't somehow document,
somewhere, that it should be.

***@US.IBM.COM (Peter Relson) wrote:
<snip>

Elardus Engelbrecht
2014-10-02 14:24:44 UTC
This is why I asked the OP why it was thought necessary to add SCEELKED to the link list.
This is why I stayed out from this thread for now. SCEELKED is simply a library containing stubs / static routines for usage during link-edit so external references are resolved during compile/linkage.

If you need SCEELKED during runtime, your compile+linkage jobs are wrong.
I want to be sure we don't somehow document, somewhere, that it should be.
I did a quick search in my bookies. Only occurances of SCEELKED are only in SYSLIB in JCL examples and statements like '... used as secondary input to the linkage editor to ...' and so on.

Others:
SCEERUN, SCEERUN2 should be in Linklist.
SCEELPA is in LPALIB.

There are others like SCEEBIND, but serious RTFM are needed for them before you use them.

I'm sure the OP was misguided before he posted here on IBM-MAIN. The OP need IBM on his site for resolving it.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Tom Marchant
2014-10-02 20:45:04 UTC
Post by Mainframe Mainframe
Initially I thought of using below link for Update linklst dynamically.
http://www.ruifeio.com/2009/06/29/update-linklist-dynamically
Do not use the above referenced web page. It is incorrect.

You have received cautions from several people and you should heed them all.

You have also received advice from several people as to how to do what
you want to do if you really think that you must. With the sole exception
of Peter Relson's advice, all of them are wrong.
--
Tom Marchant

Elardus Engelbrecht
2014-10-03 05:58:18 UTC
With the sole exception of Peter Relson's advice, all of them are wrong.
Please be kind to tell us where we (and myself too) are wrong? Even John Eells is wrong too?

Just curious if you don't mind please.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

Andrew Rowley
2014-10-03 06:33:41 UTC
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
With the sole exception of Peter Relson's advice, all of them are wrong.
Please be kind to tell us where we (and myself too) are wrong? Even John Eells is wrong too?
There was a subtle distinction (I had to read it a couple of times) in
the statement. It was all "advice ... as to how to do what you want to
do" that was considered wrong, not all advice.

Several people have given good advice as to why the OP might want to do
something different.

I thought Thomas Conley had a good point: "My guess is that your issues
will stop once you remove SCEELKED form the linkist, and you won't need
to restore your backup." Very plausible.

Andrew Rowley
--
***@blackhillsoftware.com
+61 413 302 386

Gibney, Dave
2014-10-03 06:43:52 UTC
Messing with the IPL linklst is inherently dangerous. Using SETPROG ...UPDATE(*) can hose your system into needing an IPL.
Updating active linklst datasets (after you get the enqueues out of the way) can hose your system into needing an IPL.

Peter described the safest way, but he also warned it could hose your system into needing an IPL.

I don't believe John Eells gave advice on active linklst manipulation.
Tom Marchant
2014-10-03 12:01:30 UTC
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
With the sole exception of Peter Relson's advice, all of them are wrong.
Please be kind to tell us where we (and myself too) are wrong? Even John Eells is wrong too?
Neither you nor John told the OP how to do what he said he wanted to do.
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
You have also received advice from several people as to how to do what
you want to do if you really think that you must. With the sole exception
of Peter Relson's advice, all of them are wrong.
As I read through the thread, I saw posts describing how to change a linklist
data set, and at every one my reaction was that that he shouldn't do that.

If anyone who posted how to do it would like to know why I thought their
advice was wrong, I'd be glad to explain why I think so. If you read Peter's
post carefully, you might see why other advice as to how to update LKNLST
was wrong.

Just because you get away with ignoring red lights in traffic does not mean
that it is safe to do so.
--
Tom Marchant