DR Question across time zones?
Add Reply
Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-12-05 12:43:01 UTC
A question came up this morning - when doing a DR where the DR environment is in a different time zone from the production environment, should the CLOCK00 TIMEZONE be updated for the physical location of the DR environment?

I can see valid reasoning for doing either - what is your approach (and why)?

Lionel B. Dyck <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

Roach, Dennis
2017-12-05 13:09:05 UTC
I have always kept the production system clock settings so the users see no difference. If the user sets a TZ value, it would be off due to the clock change. Job schedulers would also be off as far as the users and operations view.

Dennis Roach, CISSP
AIG

Identity & Access Management | Technology Services

2929 Allen Parkway, America Building, 3rd Floor | Houston, TX 77019
Phone: 713-591-1059 (cell)

***@AIG.com | www.aig.com

van der Grijn, Bart , B
2017-12-05 14:41:44 UTC
I see no reason to have the physical location of the device dictate what timezone it runs on. The hardware runs at UTC. Most of our LPARs run UTC. A couple of older systems run a timezone defined by the majority of application users (one runs EST/EDT, the other CET/CEST). The logic doesn't change when the hardware moves.
Bart

Dana Mitchell
Steve Smith
2017-12-05 15:00:38 UTC
What's the valid reason for setting the CLOCK00 to the physical
location? I can't think of one.

Generally, I'd think consistency would be the primary reason, and if
there's any automatic processing (e.g. batch scheduling) based on the
local time, you (I assume) would not want that going out-of-synch with
the users.

sas