AUTOIPL SADUMP LOADPARM flag value
Add Reply
Bruce Hewson
2017-05-10 09:29:48 UTC
hello,

Back in 2010 I had a system coded with SADUMP(xxxx,SNSYSC2) and MVS(LAST).

When a

V, XCF,sysn,OFFLINE,SADUMP,REIPL

command was issued, the system did take a Stand Alone Dump, and did IPL.

That is my recollection.

Today I have no idea why I coded the "2" in the "SSNSYSC2" loadparm, and was hoping someone could explain why it worked.

The SADUMP manual says that only "0", "4" and " " (blank) are valid values.

Hope someone can help.

Thank you
Bruce Hewson

Jim Mulder
2017-05-10 18:34:27 UTC
Currently, "2" will be treated the same as "0" or " " (blank). There
is no reason
why you should have specified "2", and a good reason not to - there is a
possibility that in some future release, we might assign some meaning to
"2".

Standalone dump treats this character as a hexadecimal digit
representing four option bits. The first bit is an undocumented option
intended to be used only under my direction. The second bit is what
is documented for "4". The third (corresponding to "2") and fourth bits
are
currently unused.

Jim Mulder z/OS Diagnosis, Design, Development, Test IBM Corp.
Poughkeepsie NY
Bruce Hewson
2017-05-12 06:37:35 UTC
Hello Jim,

thank you.

summary:-

SADUMP treats last LOADPARM character as if it is a hexadecimal nibble.

1... 8 - reserved for IBM - do not use
.1.. 4 - SADUMP will attempt re-ipl using stored DIAG member MVS() parameter values
..1. 2 - unassigned - do not use
...1 1 - unassigned - do not use

We will be coding "0" to ensure no auto re-ipl is attempted by SADUMP.
Our exercise is to speed up SADUMP capture. we will use loadparm SNSYSC0.

For our general usage we will code a SYMBOL for the SADUMP ucb address, and use AUTOMATION script to identify the UCB address of the second volume in the sysres set based on our volume naming standards, use SYMUPDTE process to dynamically update the symbol value, then use SET DIAG command to update the SADUMP UCB address. This to be performed after every IPL.

Activities, such as TDMF relocation of SYSRES volumes will be managed by re-driving the AUTOMATION script.

Regards
Bruce Hewson
2017-05-12 16:18:00 UTC
I'm curious as to why you do not want automatic reIPL after SADMP. Your system is in a non-restartable wait state, after all. I view that as the ultimate performance degradation. ;-) You have an SAD. If want to look at it or at OPERLOG, you need at least one system in the sysplex up and running. Why not this one?

IBM has recommended auto IPL for many years based on decades of problem analysis. Nothing will ever get better on a dead system. ReIPL might fail, but it's worth a try. You can also speed up SAD such that no operator intervention is required. It's possible for a system to die, take an SAD, and reIPL before the operator gets back from coffee break. I've seen it happen.

Mark Zelden
2017-05-12 19:00:39 UTC
I'm curious as to why you do not want automatic reIPL after SADMP. Your
system is in a non-restartable wait state, after all. I view that as the
ultimate performance degradation. ;-) You have an SAD. If want to look at
it or at OPERLOG, you need at least one system in the sysplex up and
running. Why not this one?
IBM has recommended auto IPL for many years based on decades of problem
analysis. Nothing will ever get better on a dead system. ReIPL might fail,
but it's worth a try. You can also speed up SAD such that no operator
intervention is required. It's possible for a system to die, take an SAD,
and reIPL before the operator gets back from coffee break. I've seen it
happen.
If IBM-MAIN had a like button or thumbs up, you would have it. Haven't actually had
a crash in a long time, but the last time my client had one that was basically the scenario.
By the time I was getting instant messages and automated alerts / pages were going
out to everyone, the system was already back up and had 100% application
availability. It was something like a 10 minute outage total. The client wasn't happy,
but it sure beats the heck out of "the old days" of initiating a stand alone dump
manually and re-ipling after it completed. That's if an operator or even a sysprog
could find the doc or knew how to do an SADUMP and do it correctly!

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:***@mzelden.com

2017-05-12 21:18:23 UTC
It's Friday, so I can (re)tell my war story. Shortly after z/OS R13 hit our first prod system, I noticed one morning that the system had been IPLed around 05:00. Everyone denied having done it. Then I discovered a fresh SAD taken around the same time. Sent if off to IBM. Next day or two, the same thing happened. The system was wait-stating after running clean out of storage frames! It made no sense. I posted the problem here.

Jim Mulder saw the thread and rang me up with a few questions. The failing system, unlike the sandbox, was being mirrored to the DR data center. All of it. Every single volume. Jim suspected and then confirmed that because of a change in R13, a failing page-in caused an I/O redrive, which lost track of the failing page request, which never got put back on the queue. With XRC active, some percentage of page-ins got tangled up with SDM I/O. More lost frames. Eventually MVS ran completely out of frames, and the system wait-stated. Auto SAD. Auto IPL. It was Development, so at 05:00, there were no user calls. Ops never noticed.

Jim fixed the problem immediately. I believe in auto IPL.

--
Mark Zelden - Zelden Consulting Services - z/OS, OS/390 and MVS ITIL v3 Foundation Certified mailto:***@mzelden.com Mark's MVS Utilities: http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html

Tom Conley
2017-05-12 22:31:47 UTC
[...]
Just don't forget to set MVS(LAST). The res volume you save may be your
own.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Bruce Hewson
2017-05-13 12:16:08 UTC
Hi Skip,

why not REIPL ?

one acronym == GDPS :-)

Regards
Bruce Hewson

2017-05-13 20:51:52 UTC
OK, I'm intrigued. We use GDPS (strictly) for DR failover from primary to alternate data center. Nothing on the GDPS front is automatic. It would require a Management decree to actually fail over. I see AUTOIPL as a means to restart a single system in the same location quickly with minimal intervention. What am I missing?

2017-05-15 04:23:01 UTC
Hello Skip,

GDPS-PPRC - doesn't like any IPL activity that is not performed via the GDPS panels.

extract from:-

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.ieag300/wsat.htm

Note:
AutoIPL is not appropriate in a GDPS® environment.

Regards
Bruce

2017-05-15 19:33:03 UTC
Ah yes, I remember seeing that advice during our latest GDPS upgrade. Unless (again) I'm missing something, that statement in its short form is misleading. In practice, we mirror (XRC, not PPRC) from one data center to another. GDPS runs in the remote data center to 'pull' data from production. The GDPS 'K system' runs there but does not perform any IPLs except to bring up DR systems for the first time. That's not what AUTOIPL impacts anyway until after DR IPL, by which time GDPS is totally out of the picture.

I'm dimly aware that GDPS can be set up differently for other purposes. In our case, I cannot imagine how GDPS would even know about AUTOIPL, much less be inconvenienced by it.