DFDSS QUESTION :SHARE PARM WHEN DOING COPY
Add Reply
willie bunter
2017-05-09 13:04:31 UTC
Good Day To All,

Could someone clarify the explanation and my understanding about the SHARE parm when using COPY. Following is the explanation in the doc:

SHARE specifies that DFSMSdss is to share the data sets to be copied for read
access with other programs.
SHARE and FULL are mutually exclusive; you cannot specify these keywords
together.
Do not specify DELETE if you specify SHARE. You must have exclusive control
over data sets that are to be deleted; SHARE does not require such exclusive
control.
Note: Unlike the RESTORE command, the COPY command honors the SHARE
keyword for VSAM data sets. However, the SHARE keyword is only honored for
VSAM data sets that were defined with share options other than (1,3) or (1,4).
Specifying the SHARE keyword does not cause DFSMSdss to honor the share
options that are defined for VSAM data sets. For VSAM data sets that are defined
with share options other than (1,3) or (1,4), specifying the SHARE keyword allows
other programs to obtain read access. It does not, however, allow write access to
the data sets while they are being copied. For VSAM data sets that are defined
with share options (1,3) or (1,4), neither read access nor write access by other
programs is allowed while the data set is being copied.

If my understanding is correct the SHARE parm applis to VSAM dsns which are defined with share options (2,3) . However the dsn in question is that it is an OAM file. Would the SHARE apply to OAM dsns as well?
Before the COPY is executed the file is closed on CICS. However after the COPY step has executed of the dsn (no warnings or errors received) the job abends at the following step which tries to enable the file on CICS because the dsn is not released from the job until it completes. The job has 6 steps.
My question is shouldn''t the dsn be released after the COPY step is has completed or does dsn is released at the end ot the job? Could someone please clear this up for me?

retired mainframer
2017-05-09 14:19:00 UTC
Behalf Of willie bunter
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 6:01 AM
Subject: DFDSS QUESTION :SHARE PARM WHEN DOING COPY
[...]
The paragraph that talks about VSAM datasets I emphasizing the difference between COPY and RESTORE. Since your dataset is not VSAM, the paragraph does not apply. Note the following quote from the Data Set Serialization section of the manual"

" The SHARE option has unique properties when applied to the following commands:
* For the RESTORE command, SHARE applies to non-VSAM data sets only.
* For the DUMP and COPY commands, SHARE applies to non-VSAM data sets and VSAM data sets that are defined with share options other than (1,3) and (1,4)."
Before the COPY is executed the file is closed on CICS. However after the COPY step
has executed of the dsn (no warnings or errors received) the job abends at the following
step which tries to enable the file on CICS because the dsn is not released from the job until
it completes. The job has 6 steps.
My question is shouldn''t the dsn be released after the COPY step is has completed or does
dsn is released at the end ot the job? Could someone please clear this up for me?
Does the DSN appear anywhere else in the JCL for the job? Did a previous step in the job reference the DSN during execution?

willie bunter
2017-05-09 16:28:37 UTC
The job does reference the dsn after it is enabled on CICS.

Since the dsn is OAM the SHARE parm does appy. Right?

On Tue, 5/9/17, retired mainframer <retired-***@Q.COM> wrote:

Subject: Re: DFDSS QUESTION :SHARE PARM WHEN DOING COPY
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
From: IBM Mainframe
Discussion List [mailto:IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU]
On
Behalf Of willie bunter
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 6:01 AM
Subject: DFDSS QUESTION :SHARE PARM WHEN
DOING COPY
[...]

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive
access instructions,
send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu
with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

retired mainframer
2017-05-09 17:26:34 UTC
Since the JCL has a reference to the DSN after the DFDSS step, the enqueue that is causing your conflict is held by the initiator, not by DFDSS. The section I quoted has additional text that describes how DFDSS uses the initiator's enqueue. You need to look at that to determine how it affects your job.

When you close the file in CICS, is the enqueue released? If so, the SHARE option is irrelevant since no one else is accessing the dataset. Unless OAM is VSAM under the covers (like PDSE and ZFS), the quoted text states that is does apply.
willie bunter

The job does reference the dsn after it is enabled on
CICS.
Since the
dsn is OAM the SHARE parm does appy.  Right?
Re: DFDSS QUESTION :SHARE PARM WHEN DOING COPY
AM

-----Original
  Message-----
  > From: IBM Mainframe
  On
  > Behalf Of
willie bunter
  > Sent: Tuesday, May
09, 2017 6:01 AM
  > Subject: DFDSS QUESTION :SHARE PARM
WHEN
  DOING COPY

  > Good
  Day To All,

  > Could
  someone clarify the explanation and my
understanding about
  the SHARE parm
when
  > using COPY.
  Following is the explanation in the

SHARE specifies that
  DFSMSdss is to
share the data sets to be copied for read
  > access with other programs.
  > SHARE and FULL are mutually
exclusive; you
  cannot specify these
keywords

together.
  > Do not specify DELETE
if you
  specify SHARE. You must have
exclusive control
  > over data sets
that are to be deleted;
  SHARE does
not require such exclusive

  control.

Note: Unlike the RESTORE
  command, the
COPY command honors the SHARE

keyword for VSAM data sets. However, the
  SHARE keyword is only honored for
  > VSAM
  data
sets that were defined with share options other than
  (1,3) or (1,4).

Specifying the SHARE
  keyword
does not cause DFSMSdss to honor the share
  > options that are defined for VSAM
data
  sets. For VSAM data sets that
are defined
  > with share options
other than (1,3) or
  (1,4), specifying
the SHARE keyword allows

.
  However the dsn in question is that
it is an OAM file.
  Would the
  > SHARE apply to OAM dsns as
  well?
  The paragraph that
  talks about VSAM datasets I emphasizing
the difference
  between COPY and
RESTORE.  Since your dataset is not VSAM,
  the paragraph does not apply.  Note the
following quote
  from the Data Set
Serialization section of the

manual"

" The
  SHARE option has unique
properties when applied to the

      * For the
RESTORE
  command, SHARE applies to
non-VSAM data sets only.
      * For
the DUMP and COPY commands, SHARE

applies to non-VSAM data sets and VSAM data sets that are
  defined with share options other than
(1,3) and
  (1,4)."
  > Before
  the COPY is executed the file is closed
on CICS.  However
  after the COPY
step
  > has executed of the
  dsn (no warnings or errors received)
the job abends at the
  following
  > step which tries to enable
  the file on CICS because the dsn is not
released from the
  job until
  > it completes.  The job has 6
  steps.

retired mainframer
2017-05-10 12:40:59 UTC
You cannot code SHARE and DELETE on the same COPY command. If the dataset is deleted after the copy step, then obviously DFDSS has released its enqueue and is no longer a factor in the situation you described.
willie bunter

m***@gmail.com
2017-05-10 20:44:50 UTC
Use CONCURRENT or CC