jenkins IDE
Ron Thomas
2017-12-22 15:01:53 UTC
Hello . We are planning to implement jenkins in to our QA mainframe environment . Is there any document where i can look and see how to configure our mainframe regions to jenkins . The objective is we should we able to submit jobs and build code from jenkins ? Is there any one in the list who has implemented the same & would be glad to know the pros and cons of moving to jenkins .

Thanks in Advance

Regards
Ron T

e***@gmail.com
2017-12-22 15:44:33 UTC
Post by Ron Thomas
Hello . We are planning to implement jenkins in to our QA mainframe environment . Is there any document where i can look and see how to configure our mainframe regions to jenkins . The objective is we should we able to submit jobs and build code from jenkins ? Is there any one in the list who has implemented the same & would be glad to know the pros and cons of moving to jenkins .
Thanks in Advance
Regards
Ron T
I did manage to execute a shell command from a project in jenkins on omvs as a proof of concept, but didn't get as far as submitting jobs, but I think that must be doable.
I can't remember the specifics but from an old mail I saw these remarks that might help you, even though I'm not sure they are still valid for the current version of jenkins.
mount /var/jenkins on some ZFS
mount /var/jenkins/tmp on some other ZFS using textconversion to codepage 819. (not sure why?)
SYSA nodedefinition:
At admin>nodes>configure under Preventive Node Monitoring set the free space threshold to 100MB to prevent the node being disconnected for storage shortage (could also be solved by growing the ZFS using aggrgrow I guess).
SYSA:
Name: SYSA system
Remote root directory: /var/jenkins
Port: 1025
JavaPath: export TMPDIR=/var/jenkins/tmp && export _BPXK_AUTOCVT=ON && umask 0022 && /usr/lpp/java/J7.1/bin/java
JVM Options: -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1

This requires OPENSSH running on port 1025.

I think I abused the JavaPath field to set some options like the correct umask, of course if your ssh session already has this setup correctly you will not need it there.
If I recall correctly setting the file encoding for the JVM was neccesary to get it to even start, but again you might experiment a bit here.

Kind regards,

Erik Janssen.
Mike Schwab

Edward Gould
2017-12-22 20:25:22 UTC
Post by Ron Thomas
Hello . We are planning to implement jenkins in to our QA mainframe environment . Is there any document where i can look and see how to configure our mainframe regions to jenkins . The objective is we should we able to submit jobs and build code from jenkins ? Is there any one in the list who has implemented the same & would be glad to know the pros and cons of moving to jenkins .
Thanks in Advance
Regards
Ron T
I am not sure I understand why you are considering a product that you don’t know how to implement. That is like going out and buying a racing horse and then deciding how big of race track you are going to buy.
Ed
2017-12-22 21:08:53 UTC
hello.
Post by Ron Thomas
Thanks in Advance
Regards
Ron T
I am not sure I understand why you are considering a product that you don’t
know how to implement. That is like going out and buying a racing horse and
then deciding how big of race track you are going to buy.
Ed

Why? Because it is the company standard and all systems must implement it.
"So let it be written. So let it be done!

2017-12-22 23:33:24 UTC
Why would you learn how to implement a product without first considering it (deciding whether it made sense in your situation)?

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2017-12-23 06:46:06 UTC
Come all ye, we must embrace the bold new age of agile!

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

Why would you learn how to implement a product without first considering it (deciding whether it made sense in your situation)?

Hello . We are planning to implement jenkins in to our QA mainframe environment . Is there any document where i can look and see how to configure our mainframe regions to jenkins . The objective is we should we able to submit jobs and build code from jenkins ? Is there any one in the list who has implemented the same & would be glad to know the pros and cons of moving to jenkins .
Thanks in Advance
Regards
Ron T
I am not sure I understand why you are considering a product that you don’t know how to implement. That is like going out and buying a racing horse and then deciding how big of race track you are going to buy.
Ed

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

David Crayford
2017-12-23 09:26:19 UTC
I'm not quite sure what you mean by IDE. That would be a plugin for
Eclipse or IDEA or whatever you use. I'm not sure if RDz has anything
for Jenkins for z/OS.

If you meant running Jenkins distributed builds on z/OS then it's
doable. I got it running no probs but there are caveats. Jenkins slaves
run over SSH which means a z/OS environment. If you want to run batch
jobs with tracking you will need to write code. Or you could take a look
at Dependency Based Build from IBM which is in beta
https://www-01.ibm.com/marketing/iwm/iwmdocs/web/cc/earlyprograms/dbb/index.shtml.
There are some nice Groovy scripts that dynamically build COBOL compiles
and links. It doesn't run JCL, everything is a UNIX process.

I'm a big fan of CI and Jenkins. We chose Atlassian Bamboo because we
run an Atlassian stack. Both are great and will improve your workflow
but you will have work to do.