Data placement through analytics.
John Benik
2018-07-30 16:23:13 UTC
I am trying to find a way to use either Tapewise or Tape Mount Monitor to determine the best media to store the tape data on. In other words I would like to be able to look at some reports and be able to state that this data should be on disk and not tape. The tool we are using currently works for disk to tape determination but not tape to disk. If anybody has any ideas on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

2018-07-30 17:08:12 UTC
Post by John Benik
I am trying to find a way to use either Tapewise or Tape Mount Monitor to determine the best media to store the tape data on. In other words I would like to be able to look at some reports and be able to state that this data should be on disk and not tape. The tool we are using currently works for disk to tape determination but not tape to disk. If anybody has any ideas on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.
A question please: Is there something in HSM and SMS (management class) you're missing to determine the placement of datasets?

We generally use age, backup requirements and frequency of usage to determine where datasets are placed on disk and 'tape' (actually VTS cartridges).

What are your goals to determine what media do you want to use? Do you have a 'Tape management system'?

Disclaimer - I never used Tapewise at all. I have used Tape mount monitor years ago while being a storage admin, but discarded/dropped it eventually.

Benik, John E
2018-07-30 18:20:36 UTC
We are not speaking of HSM data, but rather Physical Sequential files that are being directed to tape. We will more than likely use SMS to control allocations, but need to determine if some of the tape files are better candidates for disk. Requesting the users to change their JCL is not an option. Both tapewise and mountmon seem like good tools to use to help us determine that. I'm just trying to lay out the best way to proceed as far as determining where the data should be placed. Common sense tells me small tape files with a short retention, and not read would be good candidates for disk. We are using DLMs for HSM and general purpose tape.

Gibney, Dave
2018-07-30 19:49:13 UTC
I will say again. Use the SMS ACS routines to divert ALL application data (no JCL changes required) to disk. The only factor I would use to keep any application data on tape would be is it was large, as in to large to fix on disk. It here are classes of application data that are rarely or never read again, assign them a to a rapid migration class.

The only things that directly write tape here are DFHSM, FDRABR and Adabas back-ups.
[...]
which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient
or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this
message and delete this e-mail immediately.
2018-07-31 00:49:22 UTC
See if there is a count of how many times the tape has been mounted,
number of days since created, block size, block count. List these
into a report, import to a spread sheet, calculate mounts per day and
file size. The more mounts and the smaller size should be done first.

Gibney, Dave
2018-07-30 17:11:42 UTC
We direct (vis ACS routines) all application data to disk. And let DFHSM manage how long it stays there. With Virtual Tape behind DFHSM, I have minimal ML1