Questions about IPL with package IODF
Add Reply
Jorge Garcia
2017-07-27 08:57:04 UTC
Hi all,

We have an issue with IPL in a LPARs with package IODF. This is the actual situation

We have a server with:

- PROD sysplex: 4 lpar
- TEST sysplex: 2 lpar
- International systems: 3 monoplex lpars

In a normal situación we créate and modify IODF in PROD sysplex. TEST sysplex use the same IODF in LOADxx members but this device is set OFF in TEST OS IODF configuration.

International system don't Access to PROD IODF device. IODF device is not assigned to these systems in IODF configuration.

First we execute a dynamic activación in PROD sysplex and IPL in TEST system. Then we send to international systems a package IODF with only 3 lpars.

International systems execute a dynamic activation with the IODF package. Dynamic activation works fine. But in the next IPL the system can't load the last IODF active:

IEA246I LOAD ID A1 SELECTED
IEA246I NUCLST ID 01 SELECTED
IEA519I IODF DSN = MPLX.IODF00
IEA520I CONFIGURATION ID = EALB . IODF DEVICE NUMBER = 8318
IEA528I IPL IODF NAME DOES NOT MATCH IODF NAME IN HARDWARE TOKEN
MPLX.IODF01 ------> Last iodf active in dynamic activation

Our questions are:

Can they execute an ipl with a package IODF?
If the answer is "not possible", Must we assign our PROD IODF device to international system configuration like OFF (similar our TEST system) and move their LOADxx member to the same device?

Thanks

Jorge Garcia Juanino
Coordinador sistemas z/OS
ACTP – DIAC – Operación y Soporte EMEA
MAPFRE
Avenida del Talgo 100-103 – 3ª Planta
CP 28023 Madrid
Tel. 91 581 27 34, Movil 618333559
***@mapfre.com

2017-07-27 14:39:16 UTC
Could you provide the command you use to ACTIVATE the IODF?

There are a couple of variations of this command.

It will be helpful to see which one you use.

Behalf Of Jorge Garcia
Dana Mitchell
2017-07-27 15:15:14 UTC
I would also be interested in what you have coded on the IODF statements in your LOADxx members and what are the names of the IDOF(s)?

I suspect you will have to do a software only activate on the international LPARs (and test as well if you want), then a Hardware/software activate on the last PROD LPAR.

Dana
Matthew Stitt
2017-07-27 19:18:41 UTC
I copy the production IODF(s) to the outside system(s). There is a hardware token in the HSA that must match the token in the IODF. The OP received a message stating the token does not match. This is a result of the installation creating a separate IODF for usage with certain LPARs.

You should have one IODF that contains each processor in your installation. Through the Operating System configuration you can ensure devices are online/offline to certain configurations. Also you can configure CHPIDs to be accessible to certain LPARs only. In this manner you can separated Control Units and Devices by having those resources accessible only through the isolated CHPIDs.

The copying of the production IODF can be accomplished through several methods.

Matthew

2017-07-27 21:18:54 UTC
A couple of assumptions. OP has only one CEC with multiple LPARs, right? IODF 'package' just means the (linear) VSAM cluster IODFxx, right? First off, I have to say that this is an unusual way to manage IODFs. We have three CECs in the enterprise, but we use (multiple copies of) a *single* IODF for all LPARs on all CECs. OTOH we own all the LPARs, so we have no motivation to hide any of them from any of the others.

The immediate cause of the problem seems to be this:

IEA519I IODF DSN = MPLX.IODF00 <=============================================== does not match HSA
IEA520I CONFIGURATION ID = EALB . IODF DEVICE NUMBER = 8318
IEA528I IPL IODF NAME DOES NOT MATCH IODF NAME IN HARDWARE TOKEN
MPLX.IODF01 ------> Last iodf active in dynamic activation

In other words, at IPL time, IOS is using a different IODF than the one dynamically activated. The (dynamically activated) IODF in HSA is IODF01, but the system is IPLing with IODF00. Hence the token mismatch. For IPL to work, several steps must be taken for a new IODF.

-- Write the IODF-derived IOCDS to one of the slots in the CEC. Our CECs have (forever had) 4 slots labelled A0 - A3.

-- Set the 'next active' IOCDS to match the slot containing the new IOCDS. We always use the same slot for IPL/POR, so that slot gets overwritten with each new IOCDS.

-- Use the appropriate designation in LOADxx (LOADA1 in this case) to find the IODF 'package' that matches HSA. If you hardcode an IODF value, that's the one he will use whether it matches HSA or not.

Although the OP's methodology is unusual, I don't see why it would not work as long as all these steps are taken.

Jerry Whitteridge
2017-07-27 22:02:38 UTC
We ensure we code either -- or ++ as the last 2 values in the IODF name to allow the finding of the IODF that has the matching token that is in HSA.

Jerry Whitteridge
Manager Mainframe Systems & Storage
Albertsons - Safeway Inc.
623 869 5523
Corporate Tieline - 85523

If you feel in control
you just aren't going fast enough.

I copy the production IODF(s) to the outside system(s). There is a hardware token in the HSA that must match the token in the IODF. The OP received a message stating the token does not match. This is a result of the installation creating a separate IODF for usage with certain LPARs.

You should have one IODF that contains each processor in your installation. Through the Operating System configuration you can ensure devices are online/offline to certain configurations. Also you can configure CHPIDs to be accessible to certain LPARs only. In this manner you can separated Control Units and Devices by having those resources accessible only through the isolated CHPIDs.

The copying of the production IODF can be accomplished through several methods.

Matthew

Warning: All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the corporate e-mail system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient. This e-mail may contain proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

R.S.
2017-07-28 08:01:57 UTC
A couple of assumptions. OP has only one CEC with multiple LPARs, right? IODF 'package' just means the (linear) VSAM cluster IODFxx, right?
Not exactly.
IDOF configuration package is *subset* of whole IODF definitions. It was
especially useful in the old days (before version 5 or so), when IODF
datasets were approx. 20x bigger than today.
For example, you have 4 machines (CPCs) and a lot of devices in single
IODF. An IOCDS derived from the IODF is always "per machine". You can do
similar thing with configuration package. The package can contain
selected CPC definitions and selected OS config definitions.

IMHO this facility is not popular.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Treść tej wiadomości może zawierać informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wyłącznie do użytku służbowego adresata. Odbiorcą może być jedynie jej adresat z wyłączeniem dostępu osób trzecich. Jeżeli nie jesteś adresatem niniejszej wiadomości lub pracownikiem upoważnionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, że jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne działanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i może być karalne. Jeżeli otrzymałeś tę wiadomość omyłkowo, prosimy niezwłocznie zawiadomić nadawcę wysyłając odpowiedź oraz trwale usunąć tę wiadomość włączając w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa, www.mBank.pl, e-mail: ***@mBank.plSąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2016 r. kapitał zakładowy mBanku S.A. (w całości wpłacony) wynosi 168.955.696 złotych.

Jorge Garcia
2017-07-28 07:10:21 UTC
I answers all questions,

Lizette:

<<Could you provide the command you use to ACTIVATE the IODF?

There are a couple of variations of this command.

It will be helpful to see which one you use. >>

ACTIVATE IODF=01,SOFT
IEF196I IEF237I 8318 ALLOCATED TO SYS00154
IEF196I IEF237I 8318 ALLOCATED TO SYS00155
IEF196I IEF237I 8318 ALLOCATED TO SYS00005
IEF196I IEF237I 8321 ALLOCATED TO SYS00006
IEF196I IEF285I SYS1.NUCLEUS KEPT
IEF196I IEF285I VOL SER NOS= IPE111.
IEF117I 0 ALLOCATABLE DEVICES REMAIN IN ESOTERIC VTS
DEVICES A010,A011,A012,A013,A014,A015,A016,A017,A018,A019
A01A,A01B,A01C,A01D,A01E,A01F,A100,A101,A102,A103
A104,A105,A106,A107,A108,A109,A10A,A10B,A10C,A10D
A10E,A10F,A110,A111,A112,A113,A114,A115,A116,A117
A118,A119,A11A,A11B,A11C,A11D,A11E,A11F,A120,A121
A122,A123,A124,A125,A126,A127,A128,A129,A12A,A12B
A12C,A12D,A12E,A12F,B500,B501,B502,B503,B504,B505
B506,B507,B508,B509,B50A,B50B,B50C,B50D,B50E,B50F
B510,B511,B512,B513,B514,B515,B516,B517,B518,B519
B51A,B51B,B51C,B51D,B51E,B51F,B520,B521,B522,B523
B524,B525,B526,B527,B528,B529,B52A,B52B,B52C,B52D
B52E,B52F,B530,B531,B532,B533,B534,B535,B536,B537
B538,B539,B53A,B53B,B53C,B53D,B53E,B53F
IEF117I 0 ALLOCATABLE DEVICES REMAIN IN ESOTERIC VTSE
DEVICES A010,A011,A012,A013,A014,A015,A016,A017,A018,A019
A01A,A01B,A01C,A01D,A01E,A01F,A100,A101,A102,A103
A104,A105,A106,A107,A108,A109,A10A,A10B,A10C,A10D
A10E,A10F,A110,A111,A112,A113,A114,A115,A116,A117
A118,A119,A11A,A11B,A11C,A11D,A11E,A11F,A120,A121
A122,A123,A124,A125,A126,A127,A128,A129,A12A,A12B
A12C,A12D,A12E,A12F,B500,B501,B502,B503,B504,B505
B506,B507,B508,B509,B50A,B50B,B50C,B50D,B50E,B50F
B510,B511,B512,B513,B514,B515,B516,B517,B518,B519
B51A,B51B,B51C,B51D,B51E,B51F,B520,B521,B522,B523
B524,B525,B526,B527,B528,B529,B52A,B52B,B52C,B52D
B52E,B52F,B530,B531,B532,B533,B534,B535,B536,B537
B538,B539,B53A,B53B,B53C,B53D,B53E,B53F
IEF117I 0 ALLOCATABLE DEVICES REMAIN IN ESOTERIC VTS4
DEVICES A010,A011,A012,A013,A014,A015,A016,A017,A018,A019
A01A,A01B,A01C,A01D,A01E,A01F,A100,A101,A102,A103
A104,A105,A106,A107,A108,A109,A10A,A10B,A10C,A10D
A10E,A10F,A110,A111,A112,A113,A114,A115,A116,A117
A118,A119,A11A,A11B,A11C,A11D,A11E,A11F,A120,A121
A122,A123,A124,A125,A126,A127,A128,A129,A12A,A12B
A12C,A12D,A12E,A12F,B500,B501,B502,B503,B504,B505
B506,B507,B508,B509,B50A,B50B,B50C,B50D,B50E,B50F
B510,B511,B512,B513,B514,B515,B516,B517,B518,B519
B51A,B51B,B51C,B51D,B51E,B51F,B520,B521,B522,B523
B524,B525,B526,B527,B528,B529,B52A,B52B,B52C,B52D
B52E,B52F,B530,B531,B532,B533,B534,B535,B536,B537
B538,B539,B53A,B53B,B53C,B53D,B53E,B53F
IOS502I I/O CONFIGURATION CHANGED 866
INVOKER = *MASTER*
NEW IODF = MPLX.IODF01
EDT REBUILT, NEW EDT ID = 00
NOTE = 0100,SOFTWARE-ONLY CHANGE
COMPID=SC1C3
DEVICE(S) DELETED FROM SOFTWARE CONFIGURATION
27DD 2A9C.

IEF196I IGD104I MPLX.IODF01 RETAINED,
IEF196I DDNAME=SYS00005
IOS501I ACTIVATE CLEANUP COMPLETE
IEF196I IEF285I MPLX.IODF01 KEPT
IEF196I IEF285I VOL SER NOS= IOE105.
IEF196I IEF285I MPLX.IODF00 KEPT
IEF196I IEF285I VOL SER NOS= IOE105.
IOS500I ACTIVATE RESULTS 874
ACTIVATE COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
NOTE = 0100,SOFTWARE-ONLY CHANGE
COMPID=SC1C3

An important thing. MPLX.IODF01 in IOE105 is not the same IODF we use in the actívate hardware. It's the same name but the IODF used in the actívate hardware is cataloged in another device, in another mastercat. International systems can't Access to this device (is not available in IODF configuration)

Dana

<<I would also be interested in what you have coded on the IODF statements in your LOADxx members and what are the names of the IDOF(s)?

I suspect you will have to do a software only activate on the international LPARs (and test as well if you want), then a Hardware/software activate on the last PROD LPAR.>>

Below LOADA1 member

EAOS#2 SYS5.IPLPARM(LOADA1) - 01.14
Command ===>
* EAOS IPL SET 1 IN PLEX E1
*
HWNAME P00507B7
LPARNAME EALB
IODF ** MPLX EALB 00 0

Jesse,

<<A couple of assumptions. OP has only one CEC with multiple LPARs, right?>> ---> Correct

<<IODF 'package' just means the (linear) VSAM cluster IODFxx, right?>> ---> Right. It's the same IODF but only with the international lpars. There isn't definition about CEC or another lpar.

<<First off, I have to say that this is an unusual way to manage IODFs. We have three CECs in the enterprise, but we use (multiple copies of) a *single* IODF for all LPARs on all CECs. OTOH we own all the LPARs, so we have no motivation to hide any of them from any of the others.>>

The international systems are managed by outsourcing team. Another option is give access to international system to our IODF/LOADxx device but setting OFF option device in OS definition.

I forget to explain our secuence in dynamic activation

PROD Sysplex: Activate software and hardware
Test sysplex: IPL systems
International systems: Activate software

The actívate software in international system is executing AFTER the actívate hardware in PROD Sysplex. We don't know if this secuence is correct.

<<-- Write the IODF-derived IOCDS to one of the slots in the CEC. Our CECs have (forever had) 4 slots labelled A0 - A3.>> ---> Always done in PROD Sysplex

<<Set the 'next active' IOCDS to match the slot containing the new IOCDS. We always use the same slot for IPL/POR, so that slot gets overwritten with each new IOCDS.>> ----> Always done in HMC

<<Use the appropriate designation in LOADxx (LOADA1 in this case) to find the IODF 'package' that matches HSA. If you hardcode an IODF value, that's the one he will use whether it matches HSA or not. >> ----> The IODF coded in LOADA1 member is the package IODF. With the same name than PROD IODF, but it's a package. Could they use the package IODF in IPL time or they need PROD IODF?

Regards